Do Nothing

5 hours ago, Podein25 said:

He has a 72' wingspan!

Plus, he's not nearly as terrible as some Jets' fans would have you believe.

I think they want him for a cup run though....

So then that's even better we can sign him in July and give up nothing.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, 926 said:

El  - Right, and an 8 game winning streak is great place to open those eyes...  New coach, New goalie, and a room playing to keep Simmonds here, maybe? The high bar is 48 points in final 30 games to reach 100 and a second season.  Make that 46 points in 29 games, with a low bar of 42 (now 40) points on the backnine, which they did under Hak last season. C'est posible.

Yeah, for sure. That said, they're not really playing that much better during this streak. Hart is saving the day, and the special teams have perked up to a more reasonable level. Defensively they are still doing quite poorly, and there are still "core" players who don't seem to contribute as much as one would hope.

Of course, they haven't had an off season with a new coach yet. Also the jury is out on Gordon being a coach at this level at all. Personally I think we can give them mostly a pass with Gordon until the off season. Let Fletch bring in whatever new coaching staff he thinks can do the job and give them training camp and what not to figure things out. Come next season, we'll be in a better position to tell whether their main issue was a coaching one -- which we should all be hoping for imo -- or whether it's more a question of overvalued players -- something that is much more time intensive and difficult to fix.

That's not to say they can't finish this season strong. For me though, all eyes will be on next season at this point, as this one is mostly a bust (with the exception of Hart playing like a calder candidate so far).

Tout est possible, mais il faut quand même être raisonnable quant à nos attentes.

Thought this article on the Avs was interesting... They are closer to the playoffs than we are, and Sakic is making it clear that 1st round picks and top prospects are off-limits. He sounds an awful lot like Hexy, actually.

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Rick-Sadowski/Playoffs-important-but-Sakic-wont-deal-top-picks-prospects/188/97570

---

Making the playoffs is “important,” Avalanche general manager Joe Sakic said Tuesday night, but he won’t trade either of his two first-round draft picks or a top prospect to accomplish the goal.

“Absolutely not,” he said. “We’re looking at the big picture here and we love what’s coming. It’s a process and we’re not going to deviate from that plan. If there’s a player that can help us that isn’t going to include one of those or our top prospects, then we’ll look at that.”

The Avalanche were 17-7-5 on Dec. 7, tied with Nashville with 39 points for the best record in the Western Conference, though the Predators had two more wins.

They’ve since gone 5-14-3 and fallen into ninth place in the West, two points out of the final playoff spot with 31 games remaining.

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

That said, they're not really playing that much better during this streak.

And this could very well be true. But 3 things have changed that has helped.

- the PK is waaaay better.

- the best goaltending i have ever witnessed as a Flyers- which is the biggest influence i think without doubt.

- the PP is finally scoring.

So yes you combine those three things and that is where they are right now.

Honestly with those 3 things clicking when i watch them is makes close to every other team gunning for the playoffs.

The reason being??

Every team makes mistakes during the games if you watch no team plays a perfect game.

The difference of course can yes be the frequency of those mistakes....which the Flyers have cut down on some.

Do the say for example Lightning probably make LESS mistakes than the Flyers i would saying a resounding yes.

The Flyers still make way more mistakes than i like. And the difference maker is Hart is helping them don't die from those mistakes.

The improved PK is helping that they don't die everytime they go to the sin bin.

And now the improved PP will maybe make teams stop taking the risky penalties now that they are making them pay for it.

Let's be honest why should other team worry about being disciplined when the Flyers couldn't score when on the PP???

Well now that has changed. So these 3 things alone has made this team much better however they are not flawless.

And the play of Hart helping erasing the mistakes is pretty much all i ever wanted from any goalie...Mason, Neuvy, Elliott whomever it was just help the team out not paying while they are learning on the job. And now they are getting it.

Now how far can they go?? 

Good to see Oskar getting some bigger minutes and earning his keep...

If they are to keep pushing for the playoffs they will need all hands on deck.

Would be really nice to get some more offense from Laughton too.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

- the PK is waaaay better.

Their PK actually has been better for some time. Pretty much immediately when Gordon started, the PK got measurably better results. The PP is definitely a very recent improvement. Hopefully they can sustain that improvement for the long haul. Hart has been amazing. He's already bailed this team out so many times now.

My honest guess? They'll finish around 16th overall, but it won't be enough to get them in the playoffs in this conference. That's assuming everything keeps on clicking of course, which it may not. They are relying on Hart a ton, which doesn't seem sustainable to me. The more reasonable expectation is probably 17-18th overall (which is where they are now). That's already significantly better than the dead last they were at the new year.

6 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Their PK actually has been better for some time. Pretty much immediately when Gordon started, the PK got measurably better results. The PP is definitely a very recent improvement. Hopefully they can sustain that improvement for the long haul. Hart has been amazing. He's already bailed this team out so many times now.

My honest guess? They'll finish around 16th overall, but it won't be enough to get them in the playoffs in this conference. That's assuming everything keeps on clicking of course, which it may not. They are relying on Hart a ton, which doesn't seem sustainable to me. The more reasonable expectation is probably 17-18th overall (which is where they are now). That's already significantly better than the dead last they were at the new year.

NJ's gonna end up with Hughes, aren't they?

13 minutes ago, elmatus said:

Sustained improvement on the PP is critical to them making the playoffs.

I am going to be the optimist and say then get in on the last game. The huge swing will be done beating the Sabres and Blue Jackets later this month.

Then in March they have 3 games vs the Isles i think they win 2 of.

The Canes huge game on March 30th on the road i think Hart gives them the edge in.

And then the last game of the season it could all ride on beating the Canes again to get in. Which they will win.

Am i over optimistic??

And yes i have read over and over from posters here how impossible the task (JR, Brel and Rux are 3 i remember) is and all the other stats that show how hard it will be to make the playoffs so please don't waste your time with repeating it.

Sure however if other can predict the ultimate collapse then i'm allowed to swing the other way...we'll see who is right.

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

NJ's gonna end up with Hughes, aren't they?

God i hope not.

I would rather he end up with the Avs or Kings than them....however it looks like they got their tank game face on.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

And yes i have read over and over from posters here how impossible the task (JR, Brel and Rux are 3 i remember) is and all the other stats that show how hard it will be to make the playoffs so please don't waste your time with repeating it.

I never said impossible lol. It's just highly unlikely. But, hey, they're exciting to watch again, and the possibility of a playoff berth gives me hope as a fan that I didn't have two weeks ago.

We're in a tenuous position of having to win almost all of the time. CBJ won last night... if they win their next game, all of a sudden, we're 9 points out with the same number of games played. The swings are crazy.

The moves Fletch makes (or doesn't make) could have a huge influence on the team. With the Preds picking up Boyle from the Devils for a 2nd rounder, are they still interested in Simmonds?

11 minutes ago, brelic said:

The moves Fletch makes (or doesn't make) could have a huge influence on the team. With the Preds picking up Boyle from the Devils for a 2nd rounder, are they still interested in Simmonds?

I think the Simmonds train to Nashville has passed. It's more than likely one of Boston, Winnipeg or Tampa Bay that will acquire him. 

23 minutes ago, brelic said:

I never said impossible lol. It's just highly unlikely. But, hey, they're exciting to watch again, and the possibility of a playoff berth gives me hope as a fan that I didn't have two weeks ago.

We're in a tenuous position of having to win almost all of the time. CBJ won last night... if they win their next game, all of a sudden, we're 9 points out with the same number of games played. The swings are crazy.

Not sure Watson was a RW and Boyle has always played center from what I saw of him.

34 minutes ago, brelic said:

With the Preds picking up Boyle from the Devils for a 2nd rounder, are they still interested in Simmonds?

Darren Dreger
@DarrenDreger
Hearing Nashville isn’t done yet. Stay tuned.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Darren Dreger
@DarrenDreger
Hearing Nashville isn’t done yet. Stay tuned.

Wonder if Boyle could be coming this way? It would push Giroux back to wing, and Coots as 1C, Patrick as 2C.

8 minutes ago, brelic said:

Wonder if Boyle could be coming this way? It would push Giroux back to wing, and Coots as 1C, Patrick as 2C.

No lie I have any idea of what is going to happen.

Just gonna sit back and enjoy the ride.

22 minutes ago, brelic said:

Maybe this was the other move...

The Predators are re-acquiring Cody McLeod from the Rangers for I believe a 7-th RD pick. Trade call hasn't happened yet.

14 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

So then that's even better we can sign him in July and give up nothing.

Yeah, I guess I misread your OP and thought you were advocating for a trade. Honestly, I don't mind Myers. When he's on, he's quite good to be honest. And you can't underestimate how awesome his ridiculously long reach is. This was evident in last night's game vs the Sharks. On one shift there was a neutral zone turnover and the puck was chipped past him and he was flat-footed. On most players, it's probably a breakaway, almost certainly a hooking penalty. But he just calmly reached back and snagged the puck to safety. Didn't even need to move his feet. The Jets have 7'8" Logan Stanley in the system, so he's Myers' replacement I guess if they can' afford to keep him.

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

7'8"????????? Surely that's a typo! 

That would be INSANE!

Yeah I was just exaggerating like I do with other things, like the size of my.. TV. He's 6'8" I think. Not sure if he can skate or not.

13 hours ago, elmatus said:

Tout est possible, mais il faut quand même être raisonnable quant à nos attentes

Ai. We'll see if Gordo gots 'em reaching for the stars when they keep rolling points thru that home-home with the Wings.  G, V, Coots and Simmonds have lined-up some 600 games together with little to show or crow.  Time is their's. I think it's a big week, on peut le faire!

Archived