Do Nothing

Save this season by Making no active roster moves and see how far the team travels, as is.  In fact, Fletch holds press conference to announce he loves this team AS IS.  Play for each other. After second OT victory feels like another mad dash into the second season with a rookie goalie that nobody will want to play and a dutyfree Simmonds in peak playing for contract.  Sure, we will lose him for nothing, but gain in the room for the Next.  Goes against conventional wisdom, but we Learn a lot about what we got in the boat.  Save the season. 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, 926 said:

Save this season by Making no active roster moves and see how far the team travels, as is.  In fact, Fletch holds press conference to announce he loves this team AS IS.  Play for each other. After second OT victory feels like another mad dash into the second season with a rookie goalie that nobody will want to play and a dutyfree Simmonds in peak playing for contract.  Sure, we will lose him for nothing, but gain in the room for the Next.  Goes against conventional wisdom, but we Learn a lot about what we got in the boat.  Save the season. 

There is no way I'm keeping Simmonds past the trade deadline. Keeping him and then losing him at the end of the season has zero benefit. 

The rest I'm good with. 

There is benefit, that is the attitude-forming identity, Play For Keeps...

Simmonds says he wants to stay, is informed behind the scenes that he's safe as a Flyer this season and has a chance to play the best hockey of his career for the next several months then become an even richer man for Mach 2 of his career; the team benefits with a known cohesion for the remainder and gallop into the playoffs because of it, Simmonds then plays even better hockey in the second season and the Flyers dash into the ECF while the young horses finally feed on some meaningful games to stoke them for next season...The Rose colored glasses fit nice on a Saturday.   Save the season.

12 minutes ago, 926 said:

Simmonds says he wants to stay, is informed behind the scenes that he's safe as a Flyer this season and has a chance to play the best hockey of his career for the next several months then become an even richer man for Mach 2 of his career; the team benefits with a known cohesion for the remainder and gallop into the playoffs because of it, Simmonds then plays even better hockey in the second season and the Flyers dash into the ECF while the young horses finally feed on some meaningful games to stoke them for next season...The Rose colored glasses fit nice on a Saturday.   Save the season.

Rose colored glasses with a side of crystal meth. 

But, you're enjoying unrealistic optimism. Who am I to criticize? 

If you brought enough to share, hook me up. Your delusion is vastly better than reality.  😁

21 minutes ago, 926 said:

the thing with simmonds is he going to want, deserves, and should get, what should amount to his final contract of his career. he's not going to take a 2 year contract here in philly (at least i don't think so). he also has been taking a discount here in philadelphia. he's going to want, deserves, and should be paid for his services. do you see us giving his 6 years @ 4.5mil or whatever it ends up being? i sure wish we could, but i don't think the Flyers are going to, or should, but i hope someone does. maybe take it from jake's salary.

edit: ok maybe 4.5mil is still a little low of a guess...

We can’t be stuck with  four big long term contracts...JVR, G, Simmonds and Voracek. Our young guys will all be due big raises over the next couple of years. Simmonds is a leader and will be missed, but at the deadline teams vastly overpay for a guy like Simmonds. In the long run we can improve our team big time by trading him and also free up $$ to sign an impact free agent and to pay guys like Provo, Konecny, Sanheim ,Patrick,etc...Pure stupidity to hold on to him, we are not a cup contender, there are multiple teams that want him, which drives s up the price, he has to be traded for a better future for this team.

They jumped the Rangers with the win...4 points behind the Sabers...

...and Blues are up 2-0 on the Blue Jackets with 17 minutes to go....

...crawled their way back to .500. I am proud of them...count me as one who thought they were dead and buried...

...but a long way to go still....keep grinding!!!!

3 minutes ago, 926 said:

Sometimes ya gotta say what the ****, haha

I hear you...positive comments don't go over so well here most times....

...sorry you have been warned...i lean to the positive too.

You're not alone.

23 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

he has to be traded for a better future for this team.

Simmonds was traded for a better future for this team already, in a way...let's get past second round with him, one last time. 

RJ,  it most likely play that way you say, but in a crazy season why not stay crazy and give the 'corps' one last esprit with WaynO, and Fletch can wheel in the offseason.  THEN every player in the lockerroom knows its time for two one-armed passes on the attack, a la JvR today.  

22 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I hear you...positive comments don't go over so well here most times....

...sorry you have been warned...i lean to the positive too.

You're not alone.

Don't believe him, @926. He's a negative bastard.

But in a positive way. 

1 hour ago, mkscrewy said:

do you see us giving his 6 years @ 4.5mil or whatever it ends up being

I don't.  He's gone, either for future assets or freely after a hopeful second season.  It throws all rationality out the window to hold onto Wayne and say 'We're going for Mayday, as is',  but the org threw rations out with the fractions in dumping the tortoise mid season.  I'm saying, after today's second OT win and seventh in a row with a hotshit rookie backstop, where JvR is literally Lindrosing passes to Nolan in the slot, GO BOLD, throw the hockey journos on their side by keeping Wayne and saying we are MARCHING PAST THE COMPETITION.

I don't want to sign Simmonds.  Love the guy, but he's not what he was. For a 3RW role, he's going to cost way too much. 

Hometown discount for 2 years, maybe. But he'd be really foolish. He doesn't strike me as foolish. 

When it comes to Simmonds It’s probably not even an issue of dollars , it’s the length of the contract.Simmonds is an old school Flyer,  which is very rare, but there is a big opportunity to get some real good players for him at the deadline. Of course as you guys mentioned , if we can dump Voracek, then we can keep Simmonds. If Fletcher is given a tremendous offer for Simmonds, I don’t see how you can turn it down.

21 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

When it comes to Simmonds It’s probably not even an issue of dollars , it’s the length of the contract.Simmonds is an old school Flyer,  which is very rare, but there is a big opportunity to get some real good players for him at the deadline. Of course as you guys mentioned , if we can dump Voracek, then we can keep Simmonds. If Fletcher is given a tremendous offer for Simmonds, I don’t see how you can turn it down.

Yes it has been report that term is the issue.

Which is why he isn't and more than likely won't be resigned.

Their success towards the playoffs dictates I think weather or not they will move him and if Fletcher thinks he can get by without and net a good return could be the deciding factor.

For all we know he could already have an offer on the table and waiting for the right time to pull the trigger on it.

With all the winning going on he may be apprehensive and shaking it up and disturbing the team.

A conundrum no doubt.

14 hours ago, 926 said:

did you watch how our defense is playing? it's a disaster, you cant put hart through that next season, it will ruin him.  if we won a cup, then yeah i would agree with your statement. this team needs upgrades and new coach, if we go into next season with this exact same team, it could get worst because hart could struggle behind this defense.

this winning streak is fools gold to me.

36 minutes ago, briere48 said:

did you watch how our defense is playing? it's a disaster, you cant put hart through that next season, it will ruin him.  if we won a cup, then yeah i would agree with your statement. this team needs upgrades and new coach, if we go into next season with this exact same team, it could get worst because hart could struggle behind this defense.

this winning streak is fools gold to me.

Agreed that the winning streak is fool’s gold. 

They weren’t as bad as their record showed through December, and they’re not as good as their record in January. 

They have to pretty much go 7-3 three times, and all the teams above them need to go 6-4 or worse, and even then, they’d be a point short. 

I’m positive, I like the trends the team is showing, love watching Hart get some experience and early accolades. The team is FUN to watch again! 

Playoffs would be be amazing for this group. 

But I have hard time believing this team will go 23-7 over the last 30 games. 

That would give them 98 points. 

1 minute ago, brelic said:

Agreed that the winning streak is fool’s gold. 

They weren’t as bad as their record showed through December, and they’re not as good as their record in January. 

They have to pretty much go 7-3 three times, and all the teams above them need to go 6-4 or worse, and even then, they’d be a point short. 

I’m positive, I like the trends the team is showing, love watching Hart get some experience and early accolades. The team is FUN to watch again! 

Playoffs would be be amazing for this group. 

But I have hard time believing this team will go 23-7 over the last 30 games. 

That would give them 98 points. 

yeah even if they did, they still need upgrades because it happened with the flames when they had young team went to the playoffs and next year, they did nothing and took two steps back didnt make the playoffs. you always got to find ways to upgrade the team no matter what, otherwise the team could go backwards.

Archived