Randy Carlyle Done...What's Next For Anaheim?

TropicalFruitGirl26

carlyle.jpg.7b27989b9a750cb736f76c959ea35118.jpg

From NHL.com
https://www.nhl.com/ducks/news/carlyle-relieved-of-duty/c-304695358

To the surprise of NO ONE, Mr. Randy Carlyle has been relieved of his duties.
Bob Murray, GM and VP, to assume interim coaching duties.

I guess most of us just figured.... "What took so long?"
We all know the Ducks are riddled with injuries, but they somehow managed to stay afloat...at least for most of the season.

But now the wheels have fallen completely off, the core of this team is truly exposed, and their young players are feeling monumental pressure to win, and it's just not  happening.

What now for the Ducks?

Whomever the Ducks hire as the next head coach, I think it will have to be someone ready, willing, and able to head up a rebuild.
I think it is pretty clear that is where this team needs to go.

Will all come down to the top heavy NMC core vets....they'd need to waive in order for a proper rebuild to take place.
And while the defense and goaltending are not bad, their ages suggest they will be long in the tooth by the time any young players of consequence become NHL viable.

Hughes is a possibility now for this team.
But will the Ducks be that lucky?

And maybe a new, young head coach to head up this assumed rebuild. Someone with a different outlook on the NHL..... yea, I know, some of these young coaches haven't worked out for some other teams, but re-treads just are not working for the Ducks.

Ducks fire coach Randy Carlyle amid losing streak

Mired in a two-month tailspin, the Anaheim Ducks fired coach Randy Carlyle. Bob Murray, the team's general manager, will serve as interim coach for the remainder of the season.

Carlyle, 62, was in his second stint with the Ducks and is the winningest coach in team history. He led them to a Stanley Cup in 2006-07, his second season with the team. Carlyle was fired after a slow start to the 2011-12 season and was hired by the Maple Leafs. Toronto let him go in 2015.

"We thank Randy for everything he has done for the organization," Murray said in a statement. "Leading the team to a Stanley Cup and three conference final appearances, he has accomplished so much in Anaheim. Difficult decisions need to be made when times are tough, and our play has clearly been unacceptable. We have a tradition of success in Anaheim and we need to get back to that."

Sources say Murray was hesitant to fire Carlyle earlier because philosophically, he does not believe in midseason coaching changes. Dallas Eakins, the coach with the Ducks' AHL affiliate, the San Diego Gulls, would have been in consideration for the interim job, but the Gulls are having a strong season (currently third place in the AHL's Pacific Division) and Murray was wary of impeding development there. Eakins is the front-runner for the full-time job in 2019-20.

The Ducks have spiraled over the past two months. By Dec. 17, they had accumulated 18 wins over their first 34 games, boasting the ninth-best record in the league and top record in the Pacific Division. Since then, Anaheim has gone 2-15-4 -- including a 12 game losing streak -- which is the worst record in the league. Anaheim entered Sunday in last place in the Pacific Division. Before Carlyle's dismissal, the Ducks had lost seven straight games in which they were outscored 37-8.

Rickard Raklell, Cam Fowler, Ryan Miller and Patrick Eaves have all missed time to injury this season. Forward Ondrej Kase is out for the remainder of the year after undergoing surgery for a torn labrum. 

Corey Perry underwent surgery in training camp for an MCL injury and made his season debut on Feb. 3.

Anaheim faces difficult personnel decisions ahead as it gears up for a re-tool.

The "big three" of Perry, Ryan Getzlaf and Ryan Kesler are all over the age of 33 and have each battled significant injuries over the past two seasons. Perry and Getzlaf have cap hits above $8 million and are under contract through 2020-21; Kesler, with a $6.875 million cap hit, is under contract through 2021-22. All three players have no-movement clauses.

Murray has begun trying to reshape the roster, making eight trades since Dec. 3.

The Ducks have qualified for the playoffs in each of the last six seasons. Only the Pittsburgh Penguins have a longer streak. On Dec. 8, Murray signed a two-year contract extension to take him through the 2021-22 season.

Murray, 64, played in 1,008 NHL games over 15 seasons for the Chicago Blackhawks. After retiring, he began working in the Blackhawks front office and later became the team's GM from 1997-99. He has never coached in the NHL.

I did a write up in here six weeks ago or so asking if the Ducks could keep it up as they were getting out shot almost nightly 2 to 1 and Gibson was keeping them in games. I think since then they have literally lost like 20 0f 22 and Gibson looks like a shell shocked war vet in there. Simply ugly. The team quit under Carlyle plain and simple, I like him and believe he is a good solid NHL head coach but he had to go.

I do like a lot of their futures, I think that in spite of always drafting in the 20s they do a remarkable job of getting quality for the pick so they deserve credit for that, lots of good young forward depth arriving. Murray is probably next and deservedly so, the long term no move deals to Perry/Getzlaf are crippling, the horrendous signing of Eaves and the trade for Kesler were awful, it could turn around quickly for them however, they do have Gibson who some could argue is the leagues best goalie, they have lots of good talented defenseman (although no true number one, lots of twos and threes) and kid forwards on the horizon. If they win the 'lose for Hughes' fight they could be right in the thick of it by next year. Of course that is predicated on a new coach. They have went with veterans every time ever since giving Babcock his first shot, I think the next coach will be an unproven assistant from someone but it will be up to the new GM to decide. Murray is almost certainly just riding out the string until the offseason and then being shown the door as well.

Archived