Big Eric Staal to Jets?...Wild General Deadline Talk

Fargocase

• Could see Calgary make bid for Dubnyk. I would be dissapointed but that team is in it to win it but needs upgrade in the crease.
  • Jets are after Stone and possibly Matt Duchene from Ottawa.
  • I would heartily endorse Fenton going after Duchene. Might that be accomplished using picks from moving Staal and/or Coyle?
  • Staal could slide right into the second c spot in Winnipeg setting up Scheifle, Staal, Little and Lowry down the middle for what might be a generational Cup run for the Jets.

And in the Probably-never happen category how about Coyle to Islanders for home-boy Brock Nelson of Warroad and University of North Dakota.

In other random thoughts, does anybody have cell phone numbers for Stephanie Vielleau and Tyler Cuma? Asking for a friend.......

15 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Coyle shipped off to Boston looks like...

Nino, Coyle.... Granlund, Zucker, Spurgeon next?
I think the Wild have made a decision on direction....

I would hope it's Zucker next but he sunk his value. The Coyle trade doesn't color me impressed at all. A guy who could score traded for a guy that got put back down to the AHL for a bad performance and a 5th round pick which usually is a ahl lifer and all because our team hasn't figure out a way to help struggling players or refuses to help them out. Watch Coyle flourish now.

38 minutes ago, EJ0226 said:

I would hope it's Zucker next but he sunk his value. The Coyle trade doesn't color me impressed at all. A guy who could score traded for a guy that got put back down to the AHL for a bad performance and a 5th round pick which usually is a ahl lifer and all because our team hasn't figure out a way to help struggling players or refuses to help them out. Watch Coyle flourish now.

Coyle will do well in Boston, as NN has in Carolina.  I hope Donato shows more promise than Rask.  Time will tell.  I hope they have more of a plan than 'fire sale' on contracts.   But, this is the Wild - with CL as imbecilic  overlord. 

7 minutes ago, EmptyShelf said:

Coyle will do well in Boston, as NN has in Carolina.  I hope Donato shows more promise than Rask.  Time will tell.  I hope they have more of a plan than 'fire sale' on contracts.   But, this is the Wild - with CL as imbecilic  overlord. 

And so far both trades neither go to improving the team or looking into the future. IDK what Fentons plan is.

Question on Staal and his UFA status.

If we don't trade him by this deadline, Then he plays out this season and is free and clear to sign anywhere this summer?

So is this the scenario we have with him...

-We trade him now. Does that mean he's a rental for what ever team he goes to?

(That leaves the possibility to resign him in the summer) Just saying.

-At some point between now and the end of this season we extend his contract 1-2 years.

-We wait it out and let him take offers this summer and see if we want to match or beat. 

(It would show how much he wants to stay here or not)

-We let him walk for nothing. I can't believe the Wild will do this.

3 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Question on Staal and his UFA status.

If we don't trade him by this deadline, Then he plays out this season and is free and clear to sign anywhere this summer?

So is this the scenario we have with him...

-We trade him now. Does that mean he's a rental for what ever team he goes to?

(That leaves the possibility to resign him in the summer) Just saying.

-At some point between now and the end of this season we extend his contract 1-2 years.

-We wait it out and let him take offers this summer and see if we want to match or beat. 

(It would show how much he wants to stay here or not)

-We let him walk for nothing. I can't believe the Wild will do this.

He's a UFA.
Issue is he is in his twilight of his career. Production has took a huge step backwards. A team might take him for rental but he is going to go cheap. If Coyle and Nino went as cheap as they did and they were young and showed promise there is no way a guy nearing the end of his career that is having a major step backwards in productions and moving slower and slower is going to net more. I don't think extending his contract is worth it or smart unless he goes for the bare minimum he can receive and this is coming from a fan of him.

Our biggest assets for trading are probably Greenway, Spurgeon and Granlund. If we trade any of them we might as well go on a fire sale and say full rebuild mode. Spurgeon and Granlund are cornerstones for this team and without them the team really is throwing it in.

Sadly everybody threw out their trade value this year. One guy I would like to see go is Zucker. He looks like he pulled a Suter big time. Signed a nice new contract looking sharp and now looks like he is taking as much time off on the ice as possible. Hell, he will even go to the bench and put his team in a sh*tcan completely ignoring the play around him as the other team rushes our zone. Maybe we could fleece Vegas into some good picks for him. But Zucker looks like he got his paid day and gives zero sh*ts now.

37 minutes ago, EJ0226 said:

One guy I would like to see go is Zucker. He looks like he pulled a Suter big time. Signed a nice new contract looking sharp and now looks like he is taking as much time off on the ice as possible. Hell, he will even go to the bench and put his team in a sh*tcan completely ignoring the play around him as the other team rushes our zone. Maybe we could fleece Vegas into some good picks for him. But Zucker looks like he got his paid day and gives zero sh*ts now.

Yeah, Jason's been one of my favorites for long but he obviously saw too much of Heatley and Vanek from close range, learned some bad habits. I share you observations. Maybe we'd be better off without him but we'd lose our speediest guy with a nose for scoring (two qualities we always seems to lack of). *a big sigh*

Just now, ClusterChuck said:

@EJ0226 I agree with all that. I'm just trying to figure out what the Wild will do about him and did I miss any options.

I don't think you missed much. If the Wild continue to perform the way they are I expect him gone too. We won't get much but at least it's something possibly for the future. Otherwise I see him with us tell the end of the season.

4 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Yeah, Jason's been one of my favorites for long but he obviously saw too much of Heatley and Vanek from close range, learned some bad habits. I share you observations. Maybe we'd be better off without him but we'd lose our speediest guy with a nose for scoring (two qualities we always seems to lack of). *a big sigh*

I too was a fan but boy has he looked like he has zero care of what's going on out there. He even looks slower then usual. I really hate this happens after he signed a nice big contract and the previous seasons he looks like he was going 200% where now he looks like he hovers around 60% effort.

I know if he goes the guys at Kfan and Rosie will probably have two weeks of mourning not having Carly on there anymore.

Exceedingly poor value for Ted's kid.  The old man Donato wasn't as good as Coyle and the kid isn't nearly as good as the old man.  Steal for Boston.  At least Rask is a journeyman NHL center.  Ted Donato's kid is a fringe NHLer.  Likely a minor league.  A 5th rd pick is worth next to nothing

16 minutes ago, Fargocase said:

Exceedingly poor value for Ted's kid.  The old man Donato wasn't as good as Coyle and the kid isn't nearly as good as the old man.  Steal for Boston.  At least Rask is a journeyman NHL center.  Ted Donato's kid is a fringe NHLer.  Likely a minor league.  A 5th rd pick is worth next to nothing

Totally agree.  And, where is the Plan from Wild when these assets are traded?  Sure looks like a straight salary dump....I was hoping for more new asset gathering, not just a liability dump

Archived