Game 64: Flyers at Blue Jackets, 2/28/2019 @ 7:00 pm

brelic

I mean, it *is* the most important game of the year. But I think he should have started Talbot last night and Elliott tomorrow.

Flyers have 19 games left, and if they want to get to 98 points, they need 31 of a possible 38 points remaining. Razor thin margin for error.

15-3-1. So basically a repeat of their last 18 games, 14-3-1.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, brelic said:

I mean, it *is* the most important game of the year. But I think he should have started Talbot last night and Elliott tomorrow.

Flyers have 19 games left, and if they want to get to 98 points, they need 31 of a possible 38 points remaining. Razor thin margin for error.

15-3-1. So basically a repeat of their last 18 games, 14-3-1.

I guess they gonna ride him till he breaks again.

Greetings:

Columbus is a heavy favorite:

https://www.scoresandstats.com/previews/hockey/NHL/flyers-vs-blue-jackets-preview-and-predictions/401428/

Nationwide is a house of horrors for the O and B; Columbus is 12-0-1 in the last 13 meetings.  Bobo plays us tough and Cam Atkinson seems to feast on the Flyers.  If I were Scott Gordon, I'd do everything to hold the neutral zone.  

5 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Cam Atkinson seems to feast on the Flyers. 

I'm not worried about Bob. But this guy....gets on my nerves he seems to be a thorn in the side to the Flyers every time they play.

If the Flyers can get out to a lead i like their chances the Jackets will be looking to rebound after the game with the Penguins who seem to have their numbers.

This is a must win in regulation if they want to keep their playoff hopes alive despite how small they are.

It is time for Gordon to do the right thing (which is why i feel he won't) and dress 12 forwards put Varone back in the lineup and then go with Myers and rest up Mcdud and let him work on his popcorn secrets passed down from Vinny.

They are on the road so won't have the luxury of matching lines except on the fly, that is why i think it is crucial to just roll lines and see where they stack up.

Two big back to back games they can win both these games and be two points behind the Jackets by the end of the game friday night.

Or lose tonight and the Panthers win tonight and they would be tied in points. Time to man up. No room for mistakes.

Can they win 4 in a row???

6 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Columbus is a heavy favorite

I can't see the Flyers being a favorite the rest of the season.

And i am good with that....they seem to play better that way when no one gives them a chance.

Time to take the training wheels off Myers. He is ready.

D0YUWj8X0AU0EQa.jpg

Best case scenario is he gets a chance to play big minutes along side Ivan.

He played almost 21 minutes vs. Montreal and looked good.

He got almost 19 vs. Pens and then 15:24 vs Sabres and got his first point. And i don't recall not once him looking overwhelmed at any point.

So what better time than now they are about to play some really good teams who roll 4 lines pretty regularly it is time they start doing it.

This isn't a rip vs. Simmer or anything but the 3rd line looked very good with Hartman's addition they have good results even when they didn't have the puck he back checked well and played well in his own end look very involved/engaged in the play at all times.

On Simmonds play:

The one thing that was hard to watch was Wayne not doing that and when they play went the other way there wasn't that intensity effort to get back and help out in his own end.

And was the strangest in all this i'm think wow you know he knows the scout were there to watch him play and it just dawned on me to think...was he purposely sabotaging his chances of being traded or was he just not that interested in give a full effort.

I don't know i hope it appeared that way and he would have done that but i guess it don't matter now he isn't here....but it could have been a big reason they didn't get much.

I mean once you see that lack of effort live....then check the stat sheet on 3 points on the PP in 15 games his stock tanked.

And ways he is the Preds problem now.

#justwin

• brelic changed the title to Game 64: Flyers at Blue Jackets, 2/28/2019 @ 7:00 pm

I guess this is benchmark game, however you slice it.  Candidly, I'd say that our friend Kakalainen (sp), their GM, has done a better job with them than our former GM did with us.   I will hold off on season/franchise assessment until season's end, but it pains me to think the Blue Jackets challenge for Metro superiority while we struggle to get a playoff berth, and will probably go seven seasons without a playoff series win.  Columbus moves the puck with alacrity and has Vegas-like puck pressure we can't seem to apply.  Yes...I liked that Hartman seems to exhibit a hard-hitting style....great.  But is that what we need to move into the top ten in this league? 

So, the "new-and-improved" Flyers play the first of a tough back-to-back. It is a test of talent and character.  

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

I guess this is benchmark game, however you slice it.  Candidly, I'd say that our friend Kakalainen (sp), their GM, has done a better job with them than our former GM did with us.   I will hold off on season/franchise assessment until season's end, but it pains me to think the Blue Jackets challenge for Metro superiority while we struggle to get a playoff berth, and will probably go seven seasons without a playoff series win.  Columbus moves the puck with alacrity and has Vegas-like puck pressure we can't seem to apply.  Yes...I liked that Hartman seems to exhibit a hard-hitting style....great.  But is that what we need to move into the top ten in this league? 

So, the "new-and-improved" Flyers play the first of a tough back-to-back. It is a test of talent and character.  

Howie:

Yes, this is absolutely a benchmark game and a must-win for the Flyers. In fact, they can lose about 3 more times over the next 19 games if they want any chance at making the playoffs.

On their team vs. ours, I'll take the Flyers 10 times out of 10.

They have a 3rd and 7th round pick this year... that's it. And in Homer fashion, no 2nd rounders for the next 3 years.

Panarin is leaving, so is Bob. Duchene probably won't stick around unless they go deep into the playoffs. Dzingel may walk too. 

That would leave them with a pretty depleted roster. 

Hextall's way was/is much slower and they have not made the same desperate moves Columbus has. 

And they have all of 6 points more than we do.

Bre:  You make wonderful points.  Maybe I am getting frustrated as long-time fan...or maybe I see our patience going unrewarded.  This has been a disappointing season.  Maybe I don't see the glass as half full anymore......

51 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Bre:  You make wonderful points.  Maybe I am getting frustrated as long-time fan...or maybe I see our patience going unrewarded.  This has been a disappointing season.  Maybe I don't see the glass as half full anymore......

It gets harder every year really. It's not just you. We've been forced to watch underwhelming Flyers teams now since 2010. I've thrown around more than my fair share of optimism over that period, but everyone's got a breaking point. 

Part of that optimism was and continues to be based on prospects and projections, which is always a crap shoot to a large extent anyway. They've started getting roles on the team now though, meaning they should very well be fair game to growing criticism as the seasons go by (I'm looking at you Ghost, Provo, Patrick). But I'm still willing to give them time (though Ghost I think is pretty well a done deal now).

I have far more trouble with the current veteran core this team is built around. They don't have the same excuses of being young and inexperienced and what have you. They should be the driving force on this team, and for many many games they're simply not that. It's not on someone like Patrick or TK to take over games. That job belongs to Giroux and Voracek and JVR and Couts and Ghost and Simmonds, and they seem largely incapable of getting it done. Why? There are probably a million reasons why. It really doesn't matter. All that matters is their inability to show up for games at a time.

I put Giroux there, and I know that's probably not so fair. He has put the team on his back for long stretches -- most notably for pretty much all of last season -- and to me he's about as untouchable as they come. Still, he is part of that core who can't seem to really pull things together. The issue would be incomplete without mentioning him.

That core is where I do hope Fletch makes some moves in the off season. I kind of would have wanted to see something at the deadline, but maybe he feels there's no point right now, that he'd be selling low, or whatever. He hasn't been here long, so I'm fine with giving him more time to figure things out. 

But if we start next season with all of those guys again... I can't help but assume the season will be pretty similar to what we've had this last half decade or so. Sure, stronger goaltending and better coaching should help, but a truly good core should find a way to win even with less optimal coaching. Last time I checked, Torts has a pretty decent regular season record in his NHL career...

5 minutes ago, elmatus said:

I've thrown around more than my fair share of furniture  over that period, but everyone's got a breaking point. 

Fixed it for ya.

Or am I the only one.... :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Wow there is hope for Gordon.

Thank sweet baby Jezus...

...ANDREW FARMER MACDONALD is a scratch for tonight.

Now I have to watch the damn game.

Projected Lines (Subject to change)

FLYERS

28 Claude Giroux - 19 Nolan Patrick - 11 Travis Konecny
23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
25 James van Riemsdyk - 21 Scott Laughton - 38 Ryan Hartman 
12 Michael Raffl - 44 Phil Varone - 10 Corban Knight

9 Ivan Provorov - 6 Travis Sanheim
53 Shayne Gostisbehere - 61 Phillipe Myers
8 Robert Hägg - 3 Radko Gudas

37 Brian Elliott
[33 Cam Talbot]

Scratches: 5 Sam Morin (healthy), 47 Andrew MacDonald (healthy), 72 Carter Hart (lower body), 30 Michal Neuvirth (IR, lower body).

BLUE JACKETS

9 Artemi Panarin - 18 Pierre-Luc Dubois - 13 Cam Atkinson
19 Ryan Dzingel - 95 Matt Duchene - 28 Oliver Bjorkstrand
71 Nick Foligno - 38 Boone Jenner - 77 Josh Anderson
50 Eric Robinson - 20 Riley Nash - 17 Brandon Dubinsky

8 Zach Werenski - 3 Seth Jones
65 Markus Nutivaara - 58 David Savard
4 Scott Harrington - 54 Adam McQuaid

72 Sergei Bobrovsky
[70 Joonas Korpisalo]

Scratches: 10 Alexander Wennberg (healthy), 14 Dean Kukan (healthy), 37 Markus Hännikäinen (healthy), 45 Lukas Sedlak (healthy), 1 Keith Kincaid (healthy), 27 Ryan Murray (IR, upper body).

Hell yeah.

Go Flyers.

Flyers 4

Blue Jackets 3

Interesting to see Patrick on the top line again with G. Should be fun to see if that can work somehow.

I'll also be watching Lindblom quite a bit to see if he can keep up his solid play of late. If he does, I have to think JVR is the odd man out come the off season... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

As a side note, PL Dubois is a great player. He's definitely a guy I wish was dressed in O&B. He'd fit in a minute. He's like an angry French Canadian version of Dubinsky, but with substantially more upside to back it up.

“He’s been great,” added goalie Brian Elliott, who has been between the pipes for all four of Myers’ games and will be in goal when the Flyers face the Columbus Blue Jackets Thursday. “He had smart pinches (Tuesday). He was skating. Sometimes it looks effortless for him. It’s good to have another big body back there for sure.”

Sure is nice to see even more size out there along with more mobility.

Go get that regulation win fellas!

4 hours ago, elmatus said:

But if we start next season with all of those guys again... I can't help but assume the season will be pretty similar to what we've had this last half decade or so. Sure, stronger goaltending and better coaching should help, but a truly good core should find a way to win even with less optimal coaching. Last time I checked, Torts has a pretty decent regular season record in his NHL career...

At lunch today, one of my lunch partners asked when the Flyers last won the Cup. I said, 1975--my senior year in high school.  That is a remarkable drought for this franchise.  Fletcher has his work cut out for him. 

41 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Fletcher has his work cut out for him. 

There is no deny that.

But what is also no denying when I look at this roster and farm system then glance at the 10 draft picks in the upcoming draft.

Since I have been following the Flyers early 90s have I ever seen anything better. From the net out. From the forwards to the defensemen.

There is sick depth everywhere.

So all he has to do is give it a minor tweak and that is all it needs and just time to gel and play and gain the experience needed.

They do that it won't be long till they are one of the top teams in the league.

I feel good about where they sit and what they have to look forward too.

Really loving the Ghost/Myers pairing. I can only hope that my prayers/voodoo dolls/effigy burning continue to work and keep MacDud OFF THE ICE!!!! I will be sacrificing a chicken before the next game just to add a little Santeria to the fold........( I will at the very least eat a dozen hot wings) 🤪

Elliott is so slow.

Jackets are outplaying the Flyers big time.

Getting out coached too.

Jackets collapse in their own zone and out number the Flyers in the puck battles.

Flyers do the opposite in their end.

Pisses me off. Gordon you have to go.

Wow nice to see the Flyers make a play and get a goal on the backside from Sanheim. Flyers usually get tosted by a play like that. 

One more and don't give them a point tonight.

Archived