couturier is the anti-carter

Guest aziz

doesn't have *quite* the same release, but holy crap i can't believe how just precise his aim is. that's, what, 4 games in a row he has lasered the puck into holes far side top corner? i don't know i've seen a single high-and-wide.

kid's got amazing stuff.

He's got great offensive skill that he'll develop. But at 19, his defensive game is what makes him incredible.

Oh c'mon, it's the toothless smile that matters.

Absolutley love his game. "Skating issues" - seriously?

couturier.jpg

His line has been our best line over the past 2-3 games.

I used to think he was 'slow' at the beginning of the year, and not used to the fast pace of the NHL. And I think part of that was true. But now, it's easy to see that instead of 'slow', I would describe it as 'calm' and 'patient' with the puck way beyond his years.

He's a keeper for sure.

@brelic

It's amazing how some guys play the game at full speed yet some can be just as effective slowing it down and thinking it out. He's definately got that hockey sense going on.

Exactly... which, keeping in line with this thread, I just never really got the sense that Carter had that hockey sense. It's valid to compare him to JVR in how they approach the game. They know what they're going to do ahead of time and don't seem to adapt their games to the circumstances.

Yeah, you know its like a kid with a fast car that doesnt know how to handle it

My wifes late father worked on a rocket in the 50's that was so fast they couldnt control it with tube technology, it was called the ramjet. Sort of like Carter, except he is just a bottle rocket that always goes in a circle, like orbiting the earth

Ground control to Major Jeff..........................................

Coots is like a young Top Gun IMO

@brelic

Ya, and their lackadaisical "don't care" attitude drives us all crazy. Both could be way better than what they are.

I don't think it's that they 'don't care', I think it's more that guys like Giroux and Coots are 'driven' by their desire, and the other guys might not have that same passion or fire for the game. They care about it, they love it for sure, but they think it instead of feeling it.

Sounds kinda flaky, lol.

@brelic

Ya, and their lackadaisical "don't care" attitude drives us all crazy. Both could be way better than what they are.

Sounds and looks like our man in goal right now. Looks like we trade 2 guys for 1 right now. On a positive side, the guy right now has a shorter term then those 2.

I don't know Bre. I play in a beer league, and the day after a game I'm one hurting SOB. Nobody ever tells me I have to try harder. I really don't see JVR and Crater being spent after a game. I get the impression from guys like that "OK, I made it, time to sit back, relax, and cash in". Look at LeCavalier the year they won the cup (when I thought he was the best player in the league) to every other year. To me it's all about effort, which is whether you care or not, IMO.

I don't know Bre. I play in a beer league, and the day after a game I'm one hurting SOB. Nobody ever tells me I have to try harder. I really don't see JVR and Crater being spent after a game. I get the impression from guys like that "OK, I made it, time to sit back, relax, and cash in". Look at LeCavalier the year they won the cup (when I thought he was the best player in the league) to every other year. To me it's all about effort, which is whether you care or not, IMO.

Yeah, maybe. It's hard to tell what's going on inside their heads. But the difference between our two points of view is that you think it's a conscious decision (i.e. thanks for the contract, suckers) whereas I think it has more to do with the passion and fortitude that they have for the game and for being the best they can be. I'm sure if you would tell Carter or JVR that they don't seem to care about playing hockey, you would probably get some blank stares. They don't know any other way... they are doing exactly what they think they ought to be doing. But they just don't have the same mental and physical push that some others have that brings them to the next level.