Wild vs. Predators 10/24/19 @ 7:00PM at Bridgestone Arena

CreaseAndAssist

I thought they played really well the first period, but then reverted to the old Wild we know and love in the second. 
I suppose you could look at it and say they are 2-1 since Zucker’s hissy fit. They are not going to win every game. If they keep that up, they’ll have a successful season.
But the frustrating part is the way they lost. They reverted to the pattern that got them to a 1-4 record. Having 10+ shots in the first period and zero goals. Not finishing. Giving up a goal a minute into the second period. Making stupid plays again and again in the third. And then coming out and saying “We’ve got to be better.” As my youngest would say, “Well, duh.”

Even so, I’ll probably be back Saturday night...

I couldn't stay awake for the third, but thought they were in the game, other than the first and last minute of the 2nd period.

But I don't understand why on the power play, with the game on the line, Hunt and Dumba would be on the bench.

I understand keeping Koivu on the #1 PP for his faceoff skill but the back end should be Hunt and Dumba. 

57 minutes ago, Tomdog said:

I couldn't stay awake for the third, but thought they were in the game, other than the first and last minute of the 2nd period.

But I don't understand why on the power play, with the game on the line, Hunt and Dumba would be on the bench.

I understand keeping Koivu on the #1 PP for his faceoff skill but the back end should be Hunt and Dumba. 

Because Suter...

12 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

Every win is an achievement with this core.

Yes. Though in the long run it doesn't do much of anything. "The Core" play when they feel like it and the main problems exist, do they win or lose.

Dubnyk out, Stalock below average - will BB let Kahkonen start the next game? That would be something new to talk about.

5 hours ago, Jimtown guy said:

You tell me why they are 3-7 

9181A73F-66F4-4D02-BCEC-47D626CBAAD3.jpeg

That's peewee stuff right there coming from a collective $20M in veteran players...soon to be $27M when Parise joins the party in the corner...

Edited by IllaZilla

2 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Yes. Though in the long run it doesn't do much of anything. "The Core" play when they feel like it and the main problems exist, do they win or lose.

Dubnyk out, Stalock below average - will BB let Kahkonen start the next game? That would be something new to talk about.

I doubt Kahkonen will see any ice time. Russo got all over someone on Twitter who suggested Boudreau play Kahkonen over Stalock, especially considering Kahkonen has a 2.95 GAA and a 0.886 SV% in Iowa. That save percentage is UGLY.

Dubnyk was taking shots today from Eriksson-Ek at the TRIA Rink today, so I'm betting Kahkonen gets sent back soon...

4 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I doubt Kahkonen will see any ice time. Russo got all over someone on Twitter who suggested Boudreau play Kahkonen over Stalock, especially considering Kahkonen has a 2.95 GAA and a 0.886 SV% in Iowa. That save percentage is UGLY.

Dubnyk was taking shots today from Eriksson-Ek at the TRIA Rink today, so I'm betting Kahkonen gets sent back soon...

Well, one can read the stats in different ways. Kahkonen has started 4 games and earned 4 wins. Is it because the team has played well or like crap in front of him? Usually unless you have a superior team which I think the Iowa Wild is not, you lose if your goalie sucks.

Like you said, you have $27 mil. worth of peewee stuff in the corner. Why continue to stand in the fire? With this roster and performances the season is toast anyway. Rebuild, rebuild, try something new.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

That's peewee stuff right there coming from a collective $20M in veteran players...soon to be $27M when Parise joins the party in the corner...

Hell I’ve coached peewees and they haven’t even been that bad

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Well, one can read the stats in different ways. Kahkonen has started 4 games and earned 4 wins. Is it because the team has played well or like crap in front of him? Usually unless you have a superior team which I think the Iowa Wild is not, you lose if your goalie sucks.

Like you said, you have $27 mil. worth of peewee stuff in the corner. Why continue to stand in the fire? With this roster and performances the season is toast anyway. Rebuild, rebuild, try something new.

I’m just relaying what Russo said. But a .886 SV% is not good, in any league. 

As far as rebuilding, they really can’t unless certain players waive their NTC’s. Listening to Guerin in various podcasts I think he’s just going to let this play out. He sounds very patient. If it get’s bad enough, I can see Parise waiving his NTC. He’s already whined once about the state of the team. If the team starts circling the drain again, it wouldn’t surprise me if he puts in a trade request...

I only was able to see the 'highlights' last night.

They actually showed our chances in the 1st. 😮  But we're used to those results....Almosts!!...

Every goal I could see a #20 and #48 not doing a thing. I used to think that would be a better combo than Suter/Dumba

but not last night.

Hopefully Spurgeon doesn't pull a Zucker with the big contract signing hangover.

Stalock hasn't shown anything new or inproved with now many chances in the last 2 years.

A mediocre back up. 

14 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I’m just relaying what Russo said. But a .886 SV% is not good, in any league. 

As far as rebuilding, they really can’t unless certain players waive their NTC’s. Listening to Guerin in various podcasts I think he’s just going to let this play out. He sounds very patient. If it get’s bad enough, I can see Parise waiving his NTC. He’s already whined once about the state of the team. If the team starts circling the drain again, it wouldn’t surprise me if he puts in a trade request...

.886 4-4-0-0 is better than Dubnyk's .880 7-2-5-0.

I think you obviously can't and shouldn't go on full rebuild mode after what 10 games. But giving some youngsters a look every now and then would be smart. Better now than in March. I think we've gone through this about 10 times.... 😎

Guerin probably wants to keep low profile in any case. Safer for him. Easy to say afterwards "hey, we had the best guys playing". By doing quick decisions he'd risk it. Going fentonesque and failing he'd probably ruin his own career as a GM.

Edited by Hockey-78
added t
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

Guerin probably wants to keep low profile in any case. Safer for him. Easy to say afterwards "hey, we had the best guys playing". By doing quick decisions he'd risk it. Going fentonesque and failing he'd probably ruin his own career as a GM.

This ^^....I remember saying Fenton inherited a mess and was willing to give him a chance, But quickly showed by what he said and then did was mind boggling. Now Guerin is handed an even doubly worse mess.

I know with all the contract issues that trying to get players up from Iowa is tough but at this point for Guerin to get a real look at this level, I'd like to see more of the youth get cycled in for playing time starting now. 

Forget Suter's TOI and play all 3 D equally. If you feel you have to play #20 the majority of the game then you have no faith in the rest of the D.

Maybe knowing the team will be showing off some of the future players regularly, It might generate some interest for the fans.

Right now, They're barely an afterthought.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ClusterChuck said:

This ^^....I remember saying Fenton inherited a mess and was willing to give him a chance, But quickly showed by what he said and then did was mind boggling. Now Guerin is handed an even doubly worse mess.

I know with all the contract issues that trying to get players up from Iowa is tough but at this point for Guerin to get a real look at this level, I'd like to see more of the youth get cycled in for playing time starting now. 

Forget Suter's TOI and play all 3 D equally. If you feel you have to play #20 the majority of the game then you have no faith in the rest of the D.

Maybe knowing the team will be showing off some of the future players regularly, It might generate some interest for the fans.

Right now, They're barely an afterthought.

Some very good points, Chuck.

So how's the attendance been compared to last season? Any visible trend? The amount of STH's the same?

8 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Some very good points, Chuck.

So how's the attendance been compared to last season? Any visible trend? The amount of STH's the same?

The 250+ game sell out streak came to an end against the Habs. They didn’t sell out the game against the Oilers either. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

The 250+ game sell out streak came to an end against the Habs. They didn’t sell out the game against the Oilers either. 

If not the performance on the ice, then these numbers probably will alarm CL - is the product in shape?