Goaltender conundrum

lynxrattle

11 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

If Stalock is sharp, Kahkonen might not ever see the ice. But if Stalock turns in one of his four goals on five shot performances, Kahkonen will probably see some ice time. Is he ready? That's the $64,000 question...

So now what after the Boston game?

Not Stalock's fault on the 3rd goal but should've stopped the tying one.

Whether it's to send a message to Alex or just give him a break, It's still a chance to test the water with Kahkonen.

Has to happen sometime...

3 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Whether it's to send a message to Alex or just give him a break, It's still a chance to test the water with Kahkonen.

Yes... the Wild need to rotate goalies when Dubnyk is dressed but to be fair, Stalock has been pretty inconsistent too. They might let him start both of the next two if he's up to par against the Rangers.

6 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

I wonder why they want to try Kahkonen instead of Robson. Robson's stats are better and his game seems to be better right now, judging by the numbers and recent wins. 

Pecking order. Kahkonen has been with the Iowa Wild for two seasons. This is Robson's first.

And if Robson's stats are better, it's better to keep him playing in Iowa than sitting him on the bench in Minnesota...

10 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

They'll probably give Stalock the start against the Rangers on Monday and then Kahkonen the start against the Devils on Tuesday in the second game of the back-to-back. For better or for worse, Stalock is the default starter now. Usually the starter gets the first game of a back-to-back and the backup gets the second. I really don't see any reason to change this.

I didn't think Stalock played poorly enough to not get the next start. I don't think he needs any messages either. And he isn't afraid to fall on the sword unlike another goaltender in the Wild's employ...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

I wonder why they want to try Kahkonen instead of Robson. Robson's stats are better and his game seems to be better right now, judging by the numbers and recent wins. 

It's a no-brainer.

Kahkonen led the AHL and became franchise leader in shutouts last year, first Iowa goalie ever to be named Goaltender of the Month and only fourth Iowa player to be named AHL Player of the Week, has franchise record for the longest shutout record, WJC winner, has 49 AHL games worth of experience and at men's level well over 100 games.

The other guy is Mat Robson - his best achievements at the college level, only 8 games under his belt at men's level and his stats are NOT better in every category.

I really don't understand why you play down Finnish players so much since you are Finnish yourself too? Trying hard to avoid being called biased so you take the extra critical approach?

If there's even a remote chance the goalie who's been called up has to play, obviously they pick the more experienced.

Edited by Hockey-78
  • Like 2

Thanks for the stats! Reading the posts by the two of you made it a clear choice for me too.

I'm probably a bit overcritical towards Granny - A counter-reaction probably caused by me thinking he would be a franchise player.

Kahkonen I like a lot. He seems to have a good character, and has certainly played really well early on his career. I have been worried about his development as the shutout streak suddenly stopped and there were games where a lot of goals were scored on him. I'm worried if it's the right moment to let him have a go at it. Preferably he should have his first game against the Devils, because they don't have Panarin. Everything for a good first game. No need to test him right away against the exceptional goal scorers like Panarin, MacKinnon, Matthews, Ovechkin or McDavid.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

Thanks for the stats! Reading the posts by the two of you made it a clear choice for me too.

I'm probably a bit overcritical towards Granny - A counter-reaction probably caused by me thinking he would be a franchise player.

Kahkonen I like a lot. He seems to have a good character, and has certainly played really well early on his career. I have been worried about his development as the shutout streak suddenly stopped and there were games where a lot of goals were scored on him. I'm worried if it's the right moment to let him have a go at it. Preferably he should have his first game against the Devils, because they don't have Panarin. Everything for a good first game. No need to test him right away against the exceptional goal scorers like Panarin, MacKinnon, Matthews, Ovechkin or McDavid.

Cheers! I guess I could've just use the snipping tool:

1157149573_KaapoKahkonen.thumb.PNG.9d74b66f610d83495c9212164bd1cb22.PNG

And Robson:

688064795_MatRobson.thumb.PNG.37c886555463a9e96419aba15e50b7fa.PNG

At least they have a healthy competition going on down there.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KAiSERSTiN said:

From Russo KK is starting tomorrow in NJ

Thanks. A good decision. KK has time to prepare himself.

But, plans can always change. If Stalock allows a few softies in the 1st period, will BB try to salvage the game and put KK in net or leave Stalock hang out to dry? And who'd then start against the Devils?

8 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Thanks. A good decision. KK has time to prepare himself.

But, plans can always change. If Stalock allows a few softies in the 1st period, will BB try to salvage the game and put KK in net or leave Stalock hang out to dry? And who'd then start against the Devils?

If I had to guess; he'd let KK come out in relief and depending on his play determine if he is good to go against the Devils.

If that happens I think we are going to see if this team is trying to make the playoffs or trying to get a higher draft pick.

23 hours ago, KAiSERSTiN said:

If I had to guess; he'd let KK come out in relief and depending on his play determine if he is good to go against the Devils.

If that happens I think we are going to see if this team is trying to make the playoffs or trying to get a higher draft pick.

Stalock kept his end of the bargain. Let's see what happens next...

Looks like Kahkonen is sticking around for a bit longer. 
Dubnyk’s back practicing with the Wild, but the situation with his wife sounds really serious. Not to mention he’s got three kids aged five and under. 
And of course the NHL scheduler deemed it necessary for the Wild to play the entire first half of the season on the road...

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

Looks like Kahkonen is sticking around for a bit longer. 
Dubnyk’s back practicing with the Wild, but the situation with his wife sounds really serious. Not to mention he’s got three kids aged five and under. 
And of course the NHL scheduler deemed it necessary for the Wild to play the entire first half of the season on the road...

Fantastic.
I'd like to see him get as many starts as possible before Dubnyk comes back full time

44 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Fantastic.
I'd like to see him get as many starts as possible before Dubnyk comes back full time

Why rush him?  Give him the starts you feel is best suited for him, but otherwise let Stalock take the tough ones until Dubnyk is ready to return.  Kahkonen is starting today against Ottawa...great, but I would hope we start Stalock vs. Dallas on Sunday.  If anything, Kahkonen's play gives more time for Dubnyk to deal with this crisis.  Kahkonen was ok against a pop-gun attack from New Jersey, but he was getting a lot of help too.  I am not saying he's terrible, etc, but to just forcing a bunch of starts on him seems foolish.  

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Fantastic.

I don’t know if I’d use the term “fantastic”. But that‘s just me. 🐸☕

I get that Dubnyk has been a liability in goal this season, but I’d rather see Kahkonen’s play force Dubnyk out than to see a family emergency get him more playing time. Heck, I’d even accept a Dubnyk injury getting him more time, because injuries are part of the game.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

I didn't know it was Dubnyk's wife. 😮 

Depending on the outcome he may not be able to continue as a player at all.

Apparently she collapsed the night the team got back from the Buffalo game. She’s been in the hospital for eight days now and they really don’t know what is going on. 
Plus he’s got three kinds aged five, three and one. 
And the Wild are scheduled to go on a three day road trip, again...

Edited by IllaZilla

21 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I don’t know if I’d use the term “fantastic”. But that‘s just me. 🐸☕

I get that Dubnyk has been a liability in goal this season, but I’d rather see Kahkonen’s play force Dubnyk out than to see a family emergency get him more playing time. Heck, I’d even accept a Dubnyk injury getting him more time, because injuries are part of the game.

Fantastic as in, yes, I'd like to see more of the young goaltender.
Not fantastic as in Dubnyk's home situation. Of course, I'd never like to see anyone go through family hardship and have it cost them doing what they do for a living.

I think we won't ever know if Kahkonen's play is enough to force Duby out on a professional level.... unless we see more of him against an assortment of teams.
We already know what we have in Stalock...a career backup, nothing more, nothing less.
If Kahkonen is as good as many people think, then he should relish and be fine against just about any NHL opponent.

There are exceptions, but it is a fools errand to think one can "hide" a goalie at the NHL level where even the lowest rung team can light up a guy who isn't really ready for the big time.

My fantastic take is all about Kahkonen possibly using this time to showcase himself more against the best in the world rather than wishing bad on Duby.
All the best to him and his family, but if Dubnyk really is out long term dealing with what he needs to, then at the very least a timeshare with Stalock in net would go a long way towards giving the young goalie confidence and give the team material to work with when trying to determine his true NHL readiness.

And the team in front of him absolutely has to help him out....then again, they should be helping out whomever is in net.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

I think we won't ever know if Kahkonen's play is enough to force Duby out on a professional level.... unless we see more of him against an assortment of teams.
We already know what we have in Stalock...a career backup, nothing more, nothing less.
If Kahkonen is as good as many people think, then he should relish and be fine against just about any NHL opponent.

There are exceptions, but it is a fools errand to think one can "hide" a goalie at the NHL level where even the lowest rung team can light up a guy who isn't really ready for the big time.

I agree. I kept saying this already last season.

This is a well thought decision by BB given the circumstances, a solution oriented move. KK is a big, technically sound goalie who plays the angles on high percentage shots accordingly. Stalock plays more how he "feels" it, often overplaying and getting ill positioned. He's no long term plan for the Wild and quite possibly this might be his last season in Minnesota.

A perfect situation to test KK. A win under his belt and maybe his nerves have settled. He and everyone else knows what's his destination will be if he isn't up to par. He has the rest of the season to work on his game in Iowa if he underpeforms now. But now I think - bring it on!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hockey-78 said:

A perfect situation to test KK. A win under his belt and maybe his nerves have settled. He and everyone else knows what's his destination will be if he isn't up to par. He has the rest of the season to work on his game in Iowa if he underpeforms now. But now I think - bring it on!

And see, that's the thing:
From where I sit, Kahkonen pretty much is playing with house money.
Doesn't do well? It's ok. The team isn't going anywhere anyways, it is understood he may need to work on some things, he goes back down knowing full well that if he works hard and stays focused, he WILL be called back....the Wild want this guy to improve and stay up for good. All of that to your point.

If he does well? 
His confidence skyrockets and even if he gets sent back down due to Minnesota wanting to keep Duby and Stalock at the NHL level playing out the season, he will know he can play with the big boys, and then he'd go to work on making sure the next time he gets called up, that it is the 'other goalie' that gets moved out

It's a win-win for him and the team at this stage...not a whole lot to lose.

• Like 1