Leadership Quotes

CoachX

After that abortion last night I found these quotes intriguing:

AV - “I’ve got nothing positive to say about one player tonight,” he added, “and that hasn’t happened to me very often this year.”

Hayes - “We can’t come back from the break and give a performance like that,”

Coots - “We didn’t win a lot of battles, and they were hungrier than us around the net,”

G - <crickets>

Hayes and AV direct their comments at the team playing bad, taking responsibility. Coots, as usual, gives a text book answer about the other team being better. G says nothing. 

its the same old wash, rinse, repeat from flyers veterans. Its what we've heard for seasons now. Many have called for a change in captaincy, and I don't agree.  But if a change was made, I would vote for Kevin Hayes

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

G says nothing

Mimics his play go figure.

I wish they would just give Coots the C might Giroux does absolutely nothing in the leadership realm.

Nothing.

Edited by OccamsRazor
I retracted my last statement made in anger...
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoachX said:

He's playing good but his comments tell me he has been institutionalized by years of entitlement and excuses

Well some of his comments are the obvious type comments but many players make those I just think he is a better lead by example type and that is what I want the talking stuff not so much worried about of of them give lip service.

I want the Flyers Captain to be a heart and sould type go out there and show type of guy.

He is the closest they have to that type.

The other in my mind is TK but I feel he is ready for that.

Ivan wouldn't be bad either but I want a vet type too.

And those two are still kids.

So who is your out the box guy then?

Hayes or Niskanen 

Hayes is more vocal and also leads by example

Niskanen is the quiet, steady vet. 

Both are outside of the Flyer malaise that has plagued this team for years

Too ealry for TK. Leave him alone and let him play. Being giving that role could change his focus. It would be Giroux 2.0

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoachX said:

Hayes or Niskanen 

Too ealry for TK. Leave him alone and let him play. Being giving that role could change his focus. It would be Giroux 2.0

At this point I won't say no to anything really.

WTF give it a try I say....

On 12/29/2019 at 2:46 PM, CoachX said:

Let me backtrack.... im not for G losing the C. But if it did happen, and based off of the normal quotes I hear from Coots, I would go with Hayes or Steady Eddy

Oh you're in trouble now you have stoked mojo Clod's PR guy....and he is after you!!!

On 12/29/2019 at 2:20 PM, CoachX said:

Hayes or Niskanen 

Hayes? The guy is a decent player. With half a season on the Flyers. And i swear he has blinders on sometimes when he has the puck.

I'll take Couturier over him all day long in practically every facet of the game. Including "follow my lead".

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I knew he would stir you....seems you have been sleep at the wheel....happy holidays!!!!!

Right back atcha!

Truly, in the grandest scheme of things-I don't care. 

However, I do think this is a stupid trope, the guy's been the best player on the team for 10 years and it's not close.

He has done everything the organization has asked of him.

But because the teams he's led have have many terrible NHL players somehow that's his fault ?

Matt Read, Chris Vandevelde, Dale Weiss, Andrew MacDonald all played significant roles on the Flyers over the same time period, but.yes, Claude's the problem.

Also since we're talking leadership. I don't follow assholes who always try to "manage" me and I straight up resist and oppose those who want to lead by intimidation. So I don't know what kind of leader your looking for, but since he's not those guys he must not be  a real leader ? Also that one time he was day drinking and grabbed a cops ass must make him gay so...

It's ****** tiring reading the same dumb ideas.  Don't people get tired of typing them ?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

But because the teams he's led have have many terrible NHL players somehow that's his fault ?

Sure it's only fair right when the Eagles weren't play it was ALL Wentz's fault so it has to be Giroux's fault too...right?? :ph34r:

34 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Right back atcha!

Truly, in the grandest scheme of things-I don't care. 

However, I do think this is a stupid trope, the guy's been the best player on the team for 10 years and it's not close.

He has done everything the organization has asked of him.

Matt Read, Chris Vandevelde, Dale Weiss, Andrew MacDonald all played significant roles on the Flyers over the same time period, but.yes, Claude's the problem.

Also since we're talking leadership. I don't follow assholes who always try to "manage" me and I straight up resist and oppose those who want to lead by intimidation. So I don't know what kind of leader your looking for, but since he's not those guys he must not be  a real leader ? Also that one time he was day drinking and grabbed a cops ass must make him gay so...

It's ****** tiring reading the same dumb ideas.  Don't people get tired of typing them ?

So you close to gloss over where I said Im not for Giroux being removed?

You need a time out

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

So you close to gloss over where I said Im not for Giroux being removed?

You need a time out

maybe I do.

I'll take it right after we put this dumb idea to bed, deal ?

I think the next captain ought to be Ivan Provorov. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

maybe I do.

I'll take it right after we put this dumb idea to bed, deal ?

I think the next captain ought to be Ivan Provorov. 

Whats the dumb idea?

This discussion is supposed to be focused on the current leadership vs the previous. As I have said many times, I dont think Giroux should be replaced as captain. But that doesnt mean the issue cant be discussed or that he has done something so remarkable that he is above criticism. 

Other than your man crush on G, and your blind loyalty, do you have an opinion on the issue of current leadership vs past? 

Oh, and I wont avoid a topic or stop discussing it just because you happen to not like it

35 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Other than your man crush on G, and your blind loyalty,

Oh please.

Defend the best player on the team a couple of times and I'm blindly loyal now, I do think he is  a hottie but whatever...

This idea , today , on its face- is a bad one. 

It comes up every time there is a bad outing, which this season hasn't been often - thank god. 

That in one form or another it is repeated every goddamned time they get blown out and don't have 50 pims  is what burns my pork- 

So, reasonable discussion about succession i'm here for it... however that's not what seems to get posted.... I see,  he didn't come out and rip the team in the press, he's weak.  My favorite is when says the same **** as Hayes and that isn't acceptable either. 

In a few years, probably around the time G's contract is up, I think would be a reasonable time to discuss his role on the team.

At that time, I don't think he's playing on the top line, I don't think he's leading the team in points,  any longer. At that time if things remain on their current trajectory my vote would be for Ivan.  

you keep doing you, i'll keep doing me, there are times we agree but you're wrong here .

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CoachX said:

Humor me, what am I wrong about?

Feel free to quote me, it will actually force you to read the content without jumping to an emotional conclusion

I'm on my phone and it doesn't quote well. It quotes whole posts...mostly pebcak though.

But to paraphrase

<Everyone else says this, that and the third- G crickets>

What's he supposed to add that hasn't been said? It wouldn't matter to most people anyway,  but it is an easy lazy criticism to levy. I find the criticism mostly baseless.

I can admit, I did blow past the part where you said you're not for stripping the C , that is true. 

So you are correct, I missed that on my way to telling you and OR to **** off, but that was mostly meant as a joke, because apparently my reaction in kind is to be expected. 

I think it is stupid to indict the best player on the team for however long because young players do stupid stuff, because guys get hurt , and sometimes things go sideways. Until recently the team has been bad- since Jagr and I can't believe I'm typing this Carle were not resigned. That's not 28s fault, but he does take the heat for it.

I can talk about leadership,  I have, I can project who i think should be next,  I did, I even explained the very reason I do stick up for the player, he's so hot.

I think the knee jerk reaction of blaming 2 guys for bad losses when the whole team shits the bed is dumb.  When I see ideas I think are dumb I point it out, I will continue to do this.

20 hours ago, CoachX said:

Whats the dumb idea?

This discussion is supposed to be focused on the current leadership vs the previous. As I have said many times, I dont think Giroux should be replaced as captain. But that doesnt mean the issue cant be discussed or that he has done something so remarkable that he is above criticism. 

Other than your man crush on G, and your blind loyalty, do you have an opinion on the issue of current leadership vs past? 

Oh, and I wont avoid a topic or stop discussing it just because you happen to not like it

i have been fan of the flyers for the last 23 years,  the leadership in this era is the absolute worst,  after 4 coaching changes you expect things to be different and it was same old problems and i was saying this from day 1 the minute they overpay giroux and voraeck, this was going to hunt us, after 4 coaching changes, one and done and out of the playoffs each time, it's like groundhog day. i mean in the lindros era, primeau era, and richards era, this team was playing at such a high level every game and every year, you expect the team to make a deep run especially after you make a coaching change, i never seen it like this in this era.

after 2012, i just felt the sense of this team was going backwards because they werent playing the same level they were playing in the past. i really thought that bring in av would make the leadership better but i dont sense it, i feel like it's going to same problems until they completely do an overhaul on the leadership. once that happens i really believe things will get better.

if this team was playing at a high level every game like in the past, i would admit i was wrong about overpaying these guys.

Edited by tucson83
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, tucson83 said:

i have been fan of the flyers for the last 23 years,  the leadership in this era is the absolute worst,  after 4 coaching changes you expect things to be different and it was same old problems and i was saying this from day 1 the minute they overpay giroux and voraeck, this was going to hunt us, after 4 coaching changes, one and done and out of the playoffs each time, it's like groundhog day. i mean in the lindros era, primeau era, and richards era, this team was playing at such a high level every game and every year, you expect the team to make a deep run especially after you make a coaching change, i never seen it like this in this era.

after 2012, i just felt the sense of this team was going backwards because they werent playing the same level they were playing in the past. i really thought that bring in av would make the leadership better but i dont sense it, i feel like it's going to same problems until they completely do an overhaul on the leadership. once that happens i really believe things will get better.

if this team was playing at a high level every game like in the past, i would admit i was wrong about overpaying these guys.

One game you play great...the next you look like a ship of fools

I expect a purge. Players better elevate thier game if they want to stay in Philly

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm on my phone and it doesn't quote well. It quotes whole posts...mostly pebcak though.

But to paraphrase

<Everyone else says this, that and the third- G crickets>

What's he supposed to add that hasn't been said? It wouldn't matter to most people anyway,  but it is an easy lazy criticism to levy. I find the criticism mostly baseless.

I can admit, I did blow past the part where you said you're not for stripping the C , that is true. 

So you are correct, I missed that on my way to telling you and OR to **** off, but that was mostly meant as a joke, because apparently my reaction in kind is to be expected. 

I think it is stupid to indict the best player on the team for however long because young players do stupid stuff, because guys get hurt , and sometimes things go sideways. Until recently the team has been bad- since Jagr and I can't believe I'm typing this Carle were not resigned. That's not 28s fault, but he does take the heat for it.

I can talk about leadership,  I have, I can project who i think should be next,  I did, I even explained the very reason I do stick up for the player, he's so hot.

I think the knee jerk reaction of blaming 2 guys for bad losses when the whole team shits the bed is dumb.  When I see ideas I think are dumb I point it out, I will continue to do this.

One of my intentions in this thread was to point out the contrast between the Flyer veterans and the new team. The veternas are saying nothing, or giving the same soundbite answers we've heard for years.  Im not. Laming Giroux for being a silent leader. But I am suggesting his silence can be taken two ways. Im not blaming him for a loss here or there, but in the face of the same lackluster performances we've seen for season after season, i tend to believe he is more a part of the problem than he is a solution.

Ok, to your point that he cannot be blamed for the play of others. Fair enough. But my question is, as a captain, what is his job then?