More Proof Hayes isn't Worth the Contract

CoachX

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I mean the Jets got 20 games PLUS a handful of playoff games that cost them a 1st and Brendan Lemieux of his fire and enthusiasm before they decided they'd had enough.

I wonder about this, I wonder if he had already quit on the season and then "holy **** I've been traded to a contender..but these cheeseburgers....so good." I don't know, he was lousy for them, and I don't know why. Maybe those dudes are really serious and he's who he is, maybe he hated Manitoba- his end of year play and his play this year are night and day. I don't know what to make of that . 

other than cheeseburgers are good. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I imagine part of it is owing to a pretty lacklustre season, but how does this conversation keep coming back? Hayes is no where near the reason this team isn't winning more games. He was always a middle six NHLer, and he has been a middle six NHLer in his time in PHI. There really is nothing more to say about the guy at this point...

Hayes is doing what he was expected to do -- no more, no less. He's been a good addition to the team, giving us solid defensive play and a few more options for center depth at a time when we really don't have a ton of centers to roll. He will never be a real point producer, unless via some sort of fluke season with great linemates.

The jury may still be out on Fletch, but I really don't think he was dumb enough to think he'd be getting a point producer. It seems far more likely he saw what was available and went for the best option he felt he could get at the time. Yeah, Fletch overpaid. Yeah, we're going to regret it. I'm just not sure it warrants more discussion at this point. Like it or not, Hayes is here to stay for quite some time. We may as well get used to it and move on.

If Fletch wanted points, he likely would have gone after someone like Duchene. He didn't, or at least it looks like he didn't. There could be plenty of reasons for that, but none of them really matter a ton at this point anyway. Hayes is playing fine at the moment. He may not be winning us a bunch of games, but he's not losing them either. He's been entirely consistent with previous play on other teams, and it's been fine. Let's move on. 

Edited by elmatus
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

I think it might be Matt Read's fault, since Hayes tied his record for shorties.

It's not really a record. It's the most shorties since Read scored 4. The record is 7 held by Richards/Propp/Howe.

First of all a defenceman scoring 7 is amazing. And I can't believe Clarke doesn't have the record, though not surprised Richards does.