The Minnesota Wild Sign Kirill Kaprizov to 2-year deal

It’s believed the Wild have already offered him an eight-year contract north of $8 million, the maximum term a team can re-sign one of its own players. Kaprizov has said that he will get more involved in negotiations after the season, but the fact that his agent, Paul Theofanous, hasn’t already jumped at such a commitment means he’ll either be looking for more money or a shorter-term contract.

At 24, if Kaprizov were to sign a five- or six-year deal, that would give him the ability to really strike a home run with a contract in the $10-11 million range or more if he develops into a true star and the flat salary cap begins to grow. So betting on himself may make a lot of sense if the Wild aren’t willing to go north of $10 million now.

https://theathletic.com/2610791/2021/05/30/solving-the-zach-parise-situation-dealing-for-jack-eichel-paying-kirill-kaprizov-wilds-offseason-work-begins/

• Thanks 1

Is that per year or total? I do not think he will agree with that amount if total in 8 years. Parise making this money per year, but besides 2 nice goals at playoffs this season he did not present a lot during the regular season and even was benched few times. Kaprizov is a real star (a Calder trophy winner candidate), I think he even bigger than Gaborik because he is a warrior too. As more this type of players we will have as better team will be. They negotiated with Kaprizov for 5 years, finally he is here and now they do not want to pay enough to attract him. Wow.

The contract also needs to be fair to the team. It's no use being like Toronto with stars with huge deals and no money left to build a competitive team. I'm quite sure Guerin will be able to offer a deal that is fair enough both for the team and for Kap.

• Like 1

Kaprizov is returning today back to Russia and looking forward to see his family, which he did not see since August of the last year. Before that flight he gave a big goodbye hug to his brother Mats Zuccarello. Here is a video from the Russo twit:

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Alexandron said:
According to Russo news were determined 3 Calder Trophy finalists yesterday:
"MN Wild left wing Kirill Kaprizov, #nhlcanes goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic and #dallasstars left wing Jason Robertson are your Calder Trophy finalists this season. Kaprizov is the first in Wild history."

I think Kirill wins this.

A goalie hasn't won a Calder since Steve Mason in 2009.

So i go with Kirill the thrill.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1