Dale Hawerchuk passed away at the age of 57

Lindbergh31

If there never was a Gretzky, Hawerchuk would be more well known. He was an amazing player. And he gave back to the game he loved after his playing days were over, coaching and financing junior hockey in Ontario. He is missed already, people who really know hockey know how great he was and how greatly he will be missed. I'm sure Flyer Canuck will contribute to this tribute to Dale. He lived and coached in Barrie. 

• Like 1

We were discussing this a bit on chat yesterday.

Ya, it sucks. The guy was given a clean bill of health just over a month ago. As mentioned above he was the 2nd best player in the league for a few years at the time Gretzky was amazing everyone. 

We were fortunate enough to have him live and coach here in Barrie for the last 10 years. Any Winnipeg Jets fan knows he was THE FACE of the franchise. He was the youngest player to hit 100 points. The youngest to win the Calder. In his first season the Jets had a 48 point turnaround.One of the most memorable goals in hockey history at the 87 Canada Cup only happened because Hawerchuk won the draw...with Gretzky and Lemieux as his wingers.Just a great person and a class act all the way. RIP Ducky.

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

We were discussing this a bit on chat yesterday.

Ya, it sucks. The guy was given a clean bill of health just over a month ago. As mentioned above he was the 2nd best player in the league for a few years at the time Gretzky was amazing everyone. 

We were fortunate enough to have him live and coach here in Barrie for the last 10 years. Any Winnipeg Jets fan knows he was THE FACE of the franchise. He was the youngest player to hit 100 points. The youngest to win the Calder. In his first season the Jets had a 48 point turnaround.One of the most memorable goals in hockey history at the 87 Canada Cup only happened because Hawerchuk won the draw...with Gretzky and Lemieux as his wingers.Just a great person and a class act all the way. RIP Ducky.

That's what I thought regarding his cancer. The 87 Canada Cup goal, it was Hawerchuk who hooked a Soviet player just enough to cause him to lose his balance which allowed Lemieux to slide in on a 3 on 1 and shoot the puck. He was always a classic act when his Colts would play the Sudbury Wolves in Sudbury. He will be solely missed in junior hockey.

R.I.P. Dale.

When i first started watching hockey i watched a lot of games with him with the Sabres my friend who got me into hockey was a die hard Sabre fan back in the early 90's.

We drank a lot of suds a the bars back then and it's where i learned the game from him teaching me and fell in love with it.

It was pre Lindros then and he hated the Flyers so bad and i loved goading him on it and i think it's lot of the reason i chose them back in the day besides always liking their uniforms.

Then the year i got out of the Navy when i went home it was easy to followed the Flyers because back in the day ESPN was cool and covered hockey so it was Lindros' first year and it went on from there.

One of my all time favorite hockey voice because i don't have the storied history many of you have was Gary Thorne man i miss his voice on the games.

So fast forward to the year they acquire Hawerchuk 1995-96 it was the first and only year Big E topped 100 points, Spectrum last season and the year after the lock out was when i had access to watch the most games.

It was a great year and playoff run till they ran into the Panthers with Beezer and the dreaded neutral zone trap who went on to the Cup and then lost to the Avs.

But the following year they went to the Stanley Cup finals and besides it being a sweep that was the playoff run that got me so addicted.

Man brings back memories anyways back to Hawerchuk i alway like his game for the Flyers it wasn't till later that i found out what a true legend he was before being a Flyer and a hip issue ended his career.

R.I.P. Dale.

Edited by OccamsRazor
I got so so so drunk during that Cup sweep i was depressed for a week...