Players who we have seen the last of

yave1964

th?&id=OIP.M7c4983a086e21e6f4adb7f924d8b There are still over 40players who appeared in the NHL last season who are without a contract, either in the NHL or in Europe, not even counting the dozen and a half players who are in camps on invites. Several of these have already announced their retirement including:

Scotty Gomez, Jan Hejda, Paul Guastad, Dan Ellis, Vinnie LeCavalier and Shawn Horcoff.

Among the three dozen plus players who have an NHL pedigree who haven't found a suitor as camps are now open, they include:

Brad Boyes

Dan Boyle

Steve Downie

Christian Ehrhoff

Patrik Elias

Cody Hodgson

Barret Jackman

Tyler Kennedy

David Legwand

Travis Moen

Kyle Quincey

Karri Ramo

Mike Richards

Kris Russell

Dennis Seidenberg

Alex Tanguay

R.J. Umberger

Marek Zidlicky

Danius Zubrus

A few surprises on the list, Hodgson is still not old (26) but is running out of chances, Legwand was solid on the power play in Buffalo even if he didn't offer much else. Russell and his shot blocking will have a home in all likelihood by weeks end in Western Canada somewhere, but fellow blueliners Seidenberg, Quincey and Jackman haven't gotten a sniff.

The odds are that a few of these guys along with Russell will soon find a home, but the majority of them will have to buy a ticket to get to an NHL game. Unless of course the Flyers sign Umberger again......

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Sad Hodgson never made it...great junior.  I think Seidenberg played his way into a contract in the World Cup.

As for the Umberger comment...you know, I used to like you! 

lol!

Yeah as far as Seidenberg goes, not sure exactly what Boston was thinking with an already depleted defensive group. Since the last time they were really relevant they have now lost Seidenberg, Ference, Boychuk and Hamilton and only added Krug, that is not including the rapidly aging Chara. Rask, IMHO is still the same goalie he has always been but there is a hell of a difference between playing in net behind a world class defense and playing with the Miller and McQuaids of the world who may be good someday but really aren't much to speak of right now.

Okay, MAYBE the Flyers are finally ready to move on from Umberger, but who knows, maybe the resign Richards instead....:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

2 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Yeah as far as Seidenberg goes, not sure exactly what Boston was thinking with an already depleted defensive group.

They are thinking that his repaired knee is not going to last the season. If he is re-signed, it will have to be for way less than what he was making just due to the cap, no?

4 hours ago, Haliax said:

Looks like we can take Quincey off this list, signed with the Devils today for 1 year/ $1.25 million. I actually think that is really good value for him, I wish him well with the Devils.

Yeah, I agree, good bottom pair guy good teammate all around good guy. Not sad to see him go but he was not bad. Just wish the Wings had picked someone up to replace him.

The Devils needed another experienced defenseman. Now they have 6 actual NHL defensemen and don't have to rely on a kid like Santini or Euro signing Auvitu to play third pairing minutes. Hopefully Severson and/or Merrill take a big step this year.

51 minutes ago, MadDevil said:

The Devils needed another experienced defenseman. Now they have 6 actual NHL defensemen and don't have to rely on a kid like Santini or Euro signing Auvitu to play third pairing minutes. Hopefully Severson and/or Merrill take a big step this year.

Love the offseason your boys had. The East is getting beastier so moving up will be difficult but they had a whale of a summer.

I know Travis Moen is getting up there, but he is a solid bottom six guy and a respectable penalty killer...and all round heart and soul type who will stick up for younger and smaller teammates....this makes the more talented guys not have to answer the bell as often....so a fairly valuable trait. Unless he really lost a step, I expect him to be added to a team sometime in October.

Boyes and Elias, despite the formers age, have undisputed offensive skill, so when a few injuries occur they will be employed.

I have a feeling that Downie may have reached the end of the road. To much trouble and not enough in return.

9 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I have a feeling that Downie may have reached the end of the road. To much trouble and not enough in return.

Good riddance.  The only problem is that without hockey, this dumb ass might take out a school or something.

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Good riddance.  The only problem is that without hockey, this dumb ass might take out a school or something.

Well, if you're gonna take out a school, maybe a good idea to be able to hear the responding Police sirens, huh?  Too soon?

On 10/1/2016 at 1:13 PM, jammer2 said:

Well, if you're gonna take out a school, maybe a good idea to be able to hear the responding Police sirens, huh?  Too soon?

Never too soon.  But wow, you're joining me on the wrong side of the proverbial line. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/3/2016 at 2:04 PM, fanaticV3.0 said:

How is Elias only 40?!

He's been an NHL regular since he was 21 and rarely missed significant time to injury (he went one stretch of 11 seasons where he played at least 72 games in 10 of those seasons). It's really only been the last couple years he's started to break down physically.

I'm kind of doubtful he plays again. He had knee surgery back in May and still hasn't been medically cleared. Given the fact that he is 40 and the Devils are trying to be a faster team (although they've dialed it back into the more traditional Devils style of play the last couple games) I think he's probably done.

Archived