Goon

Guest yave1964

Watched it twice this weekend, two thumbs way up on this movie. Its as good as any hockey movie since slapshot, the hero is loveable, the villian is likeable. The locker room scenes, the coach fighting with the star player, the chirping back and forth, wow what a fun movie.

• Like 1

Anyone else see it? (It's available on-demand in the U.S.)

I felt like I had to see it because it's a hockey movie.

I needed to fast-forward and/or mute a bunch of it. That movie just might have set a record for profanity. Personally, I thought it was completely unnecessary & did nothing but detract from the movie. I spent over 7 1/2 years in the Navy, so I am not that easily offended.

When they focused on the main character and on Liev Schreiber's character, I really liked it a lot. (Funny that Schreiber's character's name was intentionally similar-sounding to Rob Ray.)

If they had focused more on the storyline and less on trying to make theb players act & talk like 8th graders, I would have really enjoyed this movie.

It was sort of a strange cross between "Slap Shot" & "Rudy." (BTW, The funniest line in the movie was actuallly about "Rudy.")

What did you think (if you have seen it)?

@AndyS

Going to see it tomorrow night. One of the co-writers and stars is Jay Baruchel. He's a born and raised Montrealer, so I'm sure he was going for authenticity.

I've spent more time in a hockey locker room than pretty much anywhere else (pub is close 2nd), so I guess I understand the desire to be authentic. If you want Grade 8 humour, that's your place to find it.

EDIT: this is a duplicate thread. I'm sure the D-man is all over it

Edited by Podein25

@AndyS

Going to see it tomorrow night. One of the co-writers and stars is Jay Baruchel. He's a born and raised Montrealer, so I'm sure he was going for authenticity.

I've spent more time in a hockey locker room than pretty much anywhere else (pub is close 2nd), so I guess I understand the desire to be authentic. If you want Grade 8 humour, that's your place to find it.

EDIT: this is a duplicate thread. I'm sure the D-man is all over it

My only concern is that they are easily limiting their potential audience.

If they could have made it PG-13, a lot more people might have gone to see it.

I'm a huge hockey fan & really wanted to like this movie, but I absolutely cannot in good conscience recommend it.

@AndyS - yeah I see your point.

But it might be viewed differently in Canada. I'll judge it on whether it is credible or not - as a hockey movie. Hard to make a credible hockey movie since mots of the time the actors can't skate and it is difficult to mask/hide that singular fact.

@AndyS

What did you think of the 24/7 HBO series? There were F bombs all over the place for that.

I didn't get to see much of it.

But there is NO WAY the cussing on 24/7 was even remotely as prevalent as in this movie. I would literally have had trouble counting the F-bombs in this movie.

And there is no justification for that. If they want to throw in a few of them in the name of "authenticity", then fine. But this was way over the top. It's lazy humor, nothing more. (And it was completely unnecessary - the storyline was strong enough without it.)

Let me know what you think after you see it.

It's lazy humor, nothing more.

I haven't seen the movie yet but I'm pretty sure I heard in the trailer: "pick number 69... it's funny"

uhh, yeah I guess. If you're old enough to get into the theater, chances are at this point, that joke is way old...

Just saw it... Will be watching it again this weekend. Fan-*****-tastic! Sorry Andy, but this is a movie for adults and It wouldn't nearly be as good if it wasn't. Let the kids grow up and then watch it.

This might be sacrilege, but I think it's way better than slapshot. Sorry, but I just saw slapshot again for the 50th time a few weeks back. Nary a laugh was had. It hasn't weathered time very well.

Just saw it... Will be watching it again this weekend. Fan-*****-tastic! Sorry Andy, but this is a movie for adults and It wouldn't nearly be as good if it wasn't. Let the kids grow up and then watch it.

This might be sacrilege, but I think it's way better than slapshot. Sorry, but I just saw slapshot again for the 50th time a few weeks back. Nary a laugh was had. It hasn't weathered time very well.

My point had nothing to do with wanting kids to watch it.

There was just no need/reason for there to be that much vulgarity in that movie. It doesn't add anything to the movie at all.

I haven't seen the movie, but plan to. However does anyone think that the timing of this movie has anything to do with the attitude by junior leagues to remove fighting from their game --------> extrapolating forward to the NHL reducing fighting to it's game as well?

I watched it last night and thought it was really good (not sure if better then Slapshot though).

I didn't find the language as bad as some but his friend was a bit of a ****!

Rinaldo tweeted that it was 40% (?) realistic.

I think I need to watch it again soon. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...