Sabres searching for coach and will consider Granato

Buffalo Rick

This is no news. What I am waiting for is to see Adams take his head out of his ass and release Hutton regardless of the financial situation . Who cares.  The guy is horrible.  We have 3 young goalies that are all better than him.  Get rid of him Adams!  What are you waiting for ?  Vegas or Tampa or Isles to hoist the Cup first?  I am not sure who is available for the coaching job if he decides to go outside rather than give Granato the shot?  I think he has kind of earned it?  He won some games they were not supposed to win and they played better once they realized that soccer coach's do not translate to hockey coach's.  Sorry Krueger, I commend your effort.  There are guys I would welcome but some I would not want any part of.  Like Torts.  Forget it. Id take Lindy back.  But it does not seem that its going to happen?  So not sure who is available right now.  Ill see if any names get thrown in.  The Bills are the team that is getting the attention now in Buffalo and Western NY, but not that long ago the Sabres were better than the Bills for a long time.  That is far from the case now of course.

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

This is no news. What I am waiting for is to see Adams take his head out of his ass and release Hutton regardless of the financial situation . Who cares.  The guy is horrible.  We have 3 young goalies that are all better than him.  Get rid of him Adams!  What are you waiting for ?  Vegas or Tampa or Isles to hoist the Cup first?  I am not sure who is available for the coaching job if he decides to go outside rather than give Granato the shot?  I think he has kind of earned it?  He won some games they were not supposed to win and they played better once they realized that soccer coach's do not translate to hockey coach's.  Sorry Krueger, I commend your effort.  There are guys I would welcome but some I would not want any part of.  Like Torts.  Forget it. Id take Lindy back.  But it does not seem that its going to happen?  So not sure who is available right now.  Ill see if any names get thrown in.  The Bills are the team that is getting the attention now in Buffalo and Western NY, but not that long ago the Sabres were better than the Bills for a long time.  That is far from the case now of course.

Coach Miller has a nice ring to it!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

What I am waiting for is to see Adams take his head out of his ass and release Hutton regardless of the financial situation. The guy is horrible.

😵

giphy.gif

I wish it wasn't against site trolling rules to go back and link to the argument we had when he was brought to Buffalo and I said it was a horrific idea but kept getting told he was the best thing since spreadable buttah.

Edited by ruxpin
  • Like 1

As expected, nothing to see here. No way Pegula’s would consider bringing a big name coach in like Gallant, Tortorella, Tocchet or trying to get Brind’Amour out of Carolina before he re-signed . 

Granato will be the safe generic Great Value brand coach that will be responsible for coaching a bunch of kids after the Sabres purge their roster of their veteran talent

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 2

If John Tortorella is open to the idea of yet again, starting from scratch and "fixing" a lost franchise, I think he'd be perfect for the Sabres.
Of course, as @Samifan mentioned, the Pegulas would also have to be open to bringing in a no-nonsense, non yes-man, speak freely coach like Torts.....AND provide him whatever he needs to build a stronger, tougher to play against Sabres team.

As we all know, a coach like Torts will eventually wear on the team (and maybe the fans), but his MO has always been "toughen up the franchise" before things get to that point.

He will likely turn Buffalo into a suffocating, defense first, hard hitting team who will likely lack the ability to score lots of goals, but at this point, I would think the main objective would be to instill a winning culture once again in that locker room, flush out whatever players aren't willing to go all in, and get some players with the blue collar mentality, as well as skilled players with the same mentality that can score some goals.

Any players that need "coddling" can see their way out the door as some of those same types of players in Columbus and New York found out, they will NOT like things under the regime of Czar Tortorella.

• Like 1

I do not agree with any of you.  Torts is finished.  As finished as Keenan, another that got his start here in Rochester.   You transplanted Tampa fans kill me.  Cheer for the Wild.  At least they have a legitimate fan base as we do

On 6/18/2021 at 4:58 PM, Samifan said:

As expected, nothing to see here. No way Pegula’s would consider bringing a big name coach in like Gallant, Tortorella, Tocchet or trying to get Brind’Amour out of Carolina before he re-signed . 

Granato will be the safe generic Great Value brand coach that will be responsible for coaching a bunch of kids after the Sabres purge their roster of their veteran talent

You should understand better than anyone here that we are a SMALL MARKET.    You will not be trash talking the Bills this year

1 minute ago, Hockey Junkie said:

You should understand better than anyone here that we are a SMALL MARKET.    You will not be trash talking the Bills this year

Yes Buffalo is a small market with a rabid fan base. However, small market has nothing to do with how much they pay a coach since that salary doesn’t count against the cap. There were/are some veteran well named coaches available but to my knowledge none have interviewed for the Sabres.

It all boils down to Pegulas not knowing how to run a hockey franchise or no longer caring to do so since they have their Bills as their prized possession and they get  more prestige as an NFL owner. They ran Pat LaFontaine out as the Sabres executive for Christ sake because they don’t know what they are doing when it comes to hockey.  They are going to put the bare minimum into the Sabres. They will get a Great Value coach to lead a team of kids this fall and they will miss the playoffs again. Pegula won’t care because he’s trying to lock down funding for a new football stadium. 

22 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

You will not be trash talking the Bills this year

Bet I still do 😂

1 hour ago, Samifan said:

Yes Buffalo is a small market with a rabid fan base. However, small market has nothing to do with how much they pay a coach since that salary doesn’t count against the cap. There were/are some veteran well named coaches available but to my knowledge none have interviewed for the Sabres.

It all boils down to Pegulas not knowing how to run a hockey franchise or no longer caring to do so since they have their Bills as their prized possession and they get  more prestige as an NFL owner. They ran Pat LaFontaine out as the Sabres executive for Christ sake because they don’t know what they are doing when it comes to hockey.  They are going to put the bare minimum into the Sabres. They will get a Great Value coach to lead a team of kids this fall and they will miss the playoffs again. Pegula won’t care because he’s trying to lock down funding for a new football stadium. 

Bet I still do 😂

I think Terry cares about the Sabres.  My patience with Adams won’t go far if he doesn’t dump Hutton and make sure Eichel stays

1 minute ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I think Terry cares about the Sabres.  My patience with Adams won’t go far if he doesn’t dump Hutton and make sure Eichel stays

Eichel is as good as gone. Question is does Adams get fleeced in the trade. 

54 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Eichel is as good as gone. Question is does Adams get fleeced in the trade. 

Well, the Sabres weren't fleeced in the O'Reilly  trade, so.....oh wait....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Samifan said:

Bet I still do 😂

Bills vs Rams in SB.  My two favorite teams

11 hours ago, Samifan said:

HJ is old school Rochester so hence the Genny

Actually before they changed the formula, back in the day it was not bad at all.  The white label and we are talking 70s and early 80s.  I was never a cream ale guy but I knew many that were.  I took this one late friend I worked with and his sister and older boyfriend up to the old cottage near Alexandria Bay.  1000 Islands where our cottage was.  They never stopped drinking.  the old timer had a six pack of cream ale on his freakin belt, with the rings of the cans holding it. Drunk 24/7.  And out on the boat.  19 foot formula that had a 188 horsepower Mercury engine.  Lucky we survived

2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Actually before they changed the formula, back in the day it was not bad at all.  The white label and we are talking 70s and early 80s.  I was never a cream ale guy but I knew many that were.  I took this one late friend I worked with and his sister and older boyfriend up to the old cottage near Alexandria Bay.  1000 Islands where our cottage was.  They never stopped drinking.  the old timer had a six pack of cream ale on his freakin belt, with the rings of the cans holding it. Drunk 24/7.  And out on the boat.  19 foot formula that had a 188 horsepower Mercury engine.  Lucky we survived

It will never be St. Pauli Girl!

On 6/18/2021 at 12:19 PM, Hockey Junkie said:

What I am waiting for is to see Adams take his head out of his ass and release Hutton regardless of the financial situation . Who cares.  The guy is horrible.

Hutton is a UFA so he’s gone. Ullmark is also a UFA along with about a dozen other Sabres. Will see if they want him back. 

There will be new goalies in Buffalo next season.

18 hours ago, Samifan said:

Hutton is a UFA so he’s gone. Ullmark is also a UFA along with about a dozen other Sabres. Will see if they want him back. 

There will be new goalies in Buffalo next season.

Great news.  Ullmark I would keep

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 10:44 AM, ruxpin said:

It will never be St. Pauli Girl!

Man it has been so long since i had one i can't even remember what it taste like honestly can't remember liking them or not....had to be 1989....my senior year....and my beer taste wasn't even a thing then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Man it has been so long since i had one i can't even remember what it taste like honestly can't remember liking them or not....had to be 1989....my senior year....and my beer taste wasn't even a thing then.

LOL  We're roughly the same age.  And it's been about that long for me.   Back then, I considered Heineken "classy," so I've come a long way!

St. Pauli Girl was meh then, but back then you drink whatever someone's handing you.   I'd have to try it again, but i doubt it's any good.   Probably along the lines of Rolling Rock and Old Milwaukee.

• Like 1