Will Tampa Bay be cursed by the Hockey Gods for damaging Cup?

thegx.ca

I know the Cup been damaged before, but there's not been as good photo evidence of the damage until the days of internet and cell phone evidence etc, anyways the Cup now has too go to Montreal to get fixed - that's a weird coincidence haha!

I think this at least deserves a small if not but curse ahahaha😆🍻medium?v=v2&px=400

48 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Super amazed by the fact that Lamorello hadn't thought of that LITR circumvention first.

Must be slipping. It's not like the "prince of lies" to be out "grey area-ed".

Not many team around the NHL who can afford to go without their best player and still make the playoffs like they did it is a risky move and well it paid off for them.

I will be expecting many teams to be trying stuff like this a month before the trade deadline to replicate this very thing.

But first you have to have the serious injury first who would want that just to exploit that rule??

• Like 1

In the ultimate ironic twist, the Philadelphia Flyers will now be cursed with Jake Voracek for three more seasons because the Lighting damaged the cup.

Bettman, “what would the most severe punishment be for damaging Hockey’s Holy Grail?” “I like Tampa so let’s just punish the Flyers”

• Haha 1

Not sure how the so-called "hockey gods" are to curse the Lightning for damaging the Cup, when, in fact, LOTS of crazy things have happened to the Stanley Cup (or its facsimiles), throughout the years, and some, I am pretty sure, the public DOESN'T know about!

Of course, if we see some teams like the Ottawa Senators, Vancouver Canucks, and Columbus Blue Jackets trade Stanley Cups over the course of next 3 or 4 years, then maybe there IS a curse, seeing as how those teams have never touched Lord Stanley and therefore, have yet the opportunity to 'harm' the Cup themselves  :ph34r: 

As for "cap circumvention", old hat now, the tears should have been dried by now, NO rules were broken, yadda, yadda.... those people need to find something else to whine over.
Any GM, ANY GM, given the same circumstances, would have done the same as the Lightning.....provided they actually had the depth to withstand LTIR to a star player or two and still get into the post season in comfortable fashion.
But of course, that kind of depth simply isn't an every day thing...hence the whining.

But, back to the Cup, yea, some google searching reveals some weird things the Stanley Cup has been subjected to.
I don't believe the Bolts will be the victim of any curse.

If anything, the Bolts will be victims of their own success as they will lose valuable players and will need to reconstruct and retool parts of the team in order to stay on top.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

I know the cup has been clean and sanitized many times over, but this is my reminder that Kris Draper's kid took a smash in it....lol.

Ahahaha ugg, what year was that? Was it Detroit last Cup till now?

7 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Not sure how the so-called "hockey gods" are to curse the Lightning for damaging the Cup, when, in fact, LOTS of crazy things have happened to the Stanley Cup (or its facsimiles), throughout the years, and some, I am pretty sure, the public DOESN'T know about!

Of course, if we see some teams like the Ottawa Senators, Vancouver Canucks, and Columbus Blue Jackets trade Stanley Cups over the course of next 3 or 4 years, then maybe there IS a curse, seeing as how those teams have never touched Lord Stanley and therefore, have yet the opportunity to 'harm' the Cup themselves  :ph34r: 

As for "cap circumvention", old hat now, the tears should have been dried by now, NO rules were broken, yadda, yadda.... those people need to find something else to whine over.
Any GM, ANY GM, given the same circumstances, would have done the same as the Lightning.....provided they actually had the depth to withstand LTIR to a star player or two and still get into the post season in comfortable fashion.
But of course, that kind of depth simply isn't an every day thing...hence the whining.

But, back to the Cup, yea, some google searching reveals some weird things the Stanley Cup has been subjected to.
I don't believe the Bolts will be the victim of any curse.

If anything, the Bolts will be victims of their own success as they will lose valuable players and will need to reconstruct and retool parts of the team in order to stay on top.

Yeah they're been lots damage before and lots the public don't know about.

Maybe the curse starts with as you said, them being the victims of their own success? Losing players definitely lowers their chances to win it again.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Lets hope so.  Who the hell wants or expects them to win again.  I do not believe they are deep enough to win again.

Yeah so far they losing lots of their players to free agency...and it could be more before season starts too...

On 8/29/2021 at 4:27 PM, Villella McMeans said:

Yeah so far they losing lots of their players to free agency...and it could be more before season starts too...

6 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Don’t say that too loud!  TFG might not want to hear this

No worries, guys..... I am a realist about things like this.
Not like I didn't see the team losing players left n right.

Victory has its price in a cap NHL world and while I DON'T want the team to keep losing players, I am glad the Bolts were able to get two consecutive championships out of what they had, and I fully understand this was going to happen, and will keep happening bit by bit as time moves on.

Lightning won't be as dominant this coming season, but you know, a third title, unlikely as it is, is still a good goal for the team to have....players have even said as much.
Good news for Bolts' fans is, the team does have young, lesser known players who could potentially step in and begin the process of making the team dominant once again....not to mention players already on the team who will take on bigger roles.

Katchouk, Somppi, Raddysh....their time in the NHL could begin now!
Barre-Boulet, Foote, Cirelli, Joseph.... these guys should see increased responsibility.

Tampa Bay is STILL gonna be a handful for whomever they play this season.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

No worries, guys..... I am a realist about things like this.
Not like I didn't see the team losing players left n right.

Victory has its price in a cap NHL world and while I DON'T want the team to keep losing players, I am glad the Bolts were able to get two consecutive championships out of what they had, and I fully understand this was going to happen, and will keep happening bit by bit as time moves on.

Lightning won't be as dominant this coming season, but you know, a third title, unlikely as it is, is still a good goal for the team to have....players have even said as much.
Good news for Bolts' fans is, the team does have young, lesser known players who could potentially step in and begin the process of making the team dominant once again....not to mention players already on the team who will take on bigger roles.

Katchouk, Somppi, Raddysh....their time in the NHL could begin now!
Barre-Boulet, Foote, Cirelli, Joseph.... these guys should see increased responsibility.

Tampa Bay is STILL gonna be a handful for whomever they play this season.  

Good time to switch to your other team.  I might be picking the Wild to win the West

3 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Good time to switch to your other team.  I might be picking the Wild to win the West

No need for me to "switch" anything. ;) 
Tellin ya... Bolts are gonna have a good season, will make the playoffs, will finish top three in the division, may even take out a team or two in the playoffs.

Can they win it all again? That is the goal, but it's uber obvious to everyone they aren't exactly the same championship team they've been the last two seasons, so that is a long shot.
But the FUN is watching them try....and if they DO it, then.... O.....M....G!!  :biggrin: 
And there ARE NO CUP CURSES here!  

As for the Wild, I will be rooting for them of course, but they will have their hands full just even making the playoffs with their "budget defense" and guys up front trying to prove they are long term, viable NHL players.

While I don't think they will miss Zach Parise as much, I think the team will miss Ryan Suter on the blue line more than people think, unless someone like Mat Dumba or Jared Spurgeon have monster career years.

Only thing really in Minnesota's favor is the lackluster division they will play in.
Outside of Colorado, no one in the division screams "I AM A CUP CONTENDER".
So that gives them a shot to get in at least.

Vancouver? I don't know. 
But they should be a fun watch. Good forwards, some suspect defense, decent goaltending, jury still out on the "grit factor".

20 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

No need for me to "switch" anything. ;) 
Tellin ya... Bolts are gonna have a good season, will make the playoffs, will finish top three in the division, may even take out a team or two in the playoffs.

Can they win it all again? That is the goal, but it's uber obvious to everyone they aren't exactly the same championship team they've been the last two seasons, so that is a long shot.
But the FUN is watching them try....and if they DO it, then.... O.....M....G!!  :biggrin: 
And there ARE NO CUP CURSES here!  

As for the Wild, I will be rooting for them of course, but they will have their hands full just even making the playoffs with their "budget defense" and guys up front trying to prove they are long term, viable NHL players.

While I don't think they will miss Zach Parise as much, I think the team will miss Ryan Suter on the blue line more than people think, unless someone like Mat Dumba or Jared Spurgeon have monster career years.

Only thing really in Minnesota's favor is the lackluster division they will play in.
Outside of Colorado, no one in the division screams "I AM A CUP CONTENDER".
So that gives them a shot to get in at least.

Vancouver? I don't know. 
But they should be a fun watch. Good forwards, some suspect defense, decent goaltending, jury still out on the "grit factor".

Didn't the Wild just pick up a star player?  I cant remember who?  I thought I saw it?  Maybe I a wrong?  To me they are the true sleeper to win the West.  Vancouver is a funny team.  They were so good two years back, but they lost the goalie did they not?  I really do not know what to expect from the Blues.  They are still a good team and they have Binnington.  He crashed down to Earth last year of course.  Like they all do eventually unless their name is Hasek or Miller or Parent.  

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Except there's a new Super Bowl trophy every year. 

Yeah and there are two Cups.

And from what I read so I can't verify if it is even true is that isn't even the true Cup.

It is a replica they are given.

So before someone else says anything about that being true I read it from multiple sources.

So true or not can't say but sounds likely for insurance purposes.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Toronto Jules said:

I doubt the Hockey Gods will curse the Tampa Bay Lightning for damaging the Cup, but I surely hope that the Toronto Maple Leafs can put a curse on them in round one and remove them from the playoffs. 

If they can do it I'll give some of the credit to The Hockey Gods😆

• Haha 1