Can the Seattle Kraken make playoffs in first year like Vegas? After this expansion draft? What do you all think?

Buffalo Rick

Do any of you see a playoff team on paper now?  With Seattle?  Vegas had an incredible first year.  Stanley Cup finals.  That was the best first season in any sport EVER.   It just does not happen.  The 99 Rams winning the Super Bowl after having the worst record in the NFL is right there with it.  

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

This Seattle expansion, even though it had the same advantages as the Vegas one, doesn't seem to be going the same way as far as icing a team that could do what Vegas did.

For one, GM's this time around, seemed a bit more prepared for players being plucked off their rosters.
Secondly, with all due respect to Ron Francis, he doesn't seem he is quite the same GM shark George McPhee of the Knights is.

That said, the summer still isn't over, so the Seattle team that is currently rostered likely isn't the same one that will take to the ice come October, so there is still some waiting to see what, exactly, Ron Francis and his staff have cooking.

Seattle still has good players with the potential to add and looking at their Pacific Division, see no reason why they couldn't at least MAKE the playoffs.
Deep run? Probably not.
Like I said, the combination of Vegas taking people unawares in the draft process and McPhee's GM'ing acumen not only got the Knights good players, he ended up with some fantastic players...many of which were underappreciated talents just needing to get a shot at more playing time.

Right now, I don't quite see that level of "fantastic players" throughout Seattle's lineup.
Good players, yes.... the kind that Vegas ended up with and made that first deep run with....no.

But things can change from here to training camps.
Vegas and Edmonton look like the best bets at being "locks" for a playoff berth out of the Pacific....that leaves 2 spots up for grabs among several still very flawed teams........... if Seattle doesn't completely screw things up the rest of the Summer and into the season, don't see why they couldn't grab one of those spots.

• TropicalFruitGirl26 changed the title to Can the Seattle Kraken make playoffs in first year like Vegas? After this expansion draft? What do you all think?
2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Secondly, with all due respect to Ron Francis, he doesn't seem he is quite the same GM shark George McPhee of the Knights is.

And 31 other GMs have the benefit of having watched McPhee fleece them before and weren't going to have it happen again.

There are going to be some Kracker who exceed expectations, just as there were in Vegas. Some players will have roles they've not been in before and will grab the chance.

Enough? I kinda doubt it, but will wait and see.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hey no need to be racist.

Trump must have hacked your account I'll notify WoW....he is on the way to get this thread locked down....

:beer:

I'll get right on your report

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hey no need to be racist.

Trump must have hacked your account I'll notify WoW....he is on the way to get this thread locked down....

:beer:

I would not really call that a racist remark.  Anyway, I hate Trump since you mentioned the bastard.  

14 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

This Seattle expansion, even though it had the same advantages as the Vegas one, doesn't seem to be going the same way as far as icing a team that could do what Vegas did.

For one, GM's this time around, seemed a bit more prepared for players being plucked off their rosters.

That said, the summer still isn't over, so the Seattle team that is currently rostered likely isn't the same one that will take to the ice come October, so there is still some waiting to see what, exactly, Ron Francis and his staff have cooking.

Seattle still has good players with the potential to add and looking at their Pacific Division, see no reason why they couldn't at least MAKE the playoffs.
Deep run? Probably not.
Like I said, the combination of Vegas taking people unawares in the draft process and McPhee's GM'ing acumen not only got the Knights good players, he ended up with some fantastic players...many of which were underappreciated talents just needing to get a shot at more playing time.

Right now, I don't quite see that level of "fantastic players" throughout Seattle's lineup.
Good players, yes.... the kind that Vegas ended up with and made that first deep run with....no.

But things can change from here to training camps.
Vegas and Edmonton look like the best bets at being "locks" for a playoff berth out of the Pacific....that leaves 2 spots up for grabs among several still very flawed teams........... if Seattle doesn't completely screw things up the rest of the Summer and into the season, don't see why they couldn't grab one of those spots.

Pretty sad.  You pick them to make the playoffs but my Sabres have zero chance. Likely in your opinion and right now likely in mine too.  But much can change between now and day 1.  The Eichel thing is the big thing.  As for Seattle, how the hell do you not grab Teresenko?  Really?  If I am Adams I am offering the Blues a number one right now.    Ill take Teresenko over Ovetchkin right now in a heartbeat.  

12 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Pretty sad.  You pick them to make the playoffs but my Sabres have zero chance. Likely in your opinion and right now likely in mine too.  But much can change between now and day 1.  The Eichel thing is the big thing.  As for Seattle, how the hell do you not grab Teresenko?  Really?  If I am Adams I am offering the Blues a number one right now.    Ill take Teresenko over Ovetchkin right now in a heartbeat.  

Well, Seattle is at the very LEAST, starting out with good players, some of whom have won elsewhere, and are in a less competitive division.
Sabres are dismantling things, starting over from the looks of it, AND doing it in a very competitive Atlantic Division, so yea, I'd say Seattle has a better chance than Buffalo at this stage to get into the playoffs.

I gave my reasoning on Seattle's chances already, but I will reiterate for ya:
Vegas and Edmonton...likely the only two teams you can put safe money to make the playoffs out of the Pacific.
Other two spots are up for grabs between teams that have big flaws in various areas... Seattle should be able to outmaneuver some of them and grab a spot.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, Seattle is at the very LEAST, starting out with good players, some of whom have won elsewhere, and are in a less competitive division.
Sabres are dismantling things, starting over from the looks of it, AND doing it in a very competitive Atlantic Division, so yea, I'd say Seattle has a better chance than Buffalo at this stage to get into the playoffs.

I gave my reasoning on Seattle's chances already, but I will reiterate for ya:
Vegas and Edmonton...likely the only two teams you can put safe money to make the playoffs out of the Pacific.
Other two spots are up for grabs between teams that have big flaws in various areas... Seattle should be able to outmaneuver some of them and grab a spot.

Vancouver is a head scratcher.  I cannot figure that team out.  Two years ago they surprise everyone. Last year things do not work out. They lose their goalie.  Now what?

Johansson was pretty forgettable with the Wild.  Luckily for Seattle, he's not a player they're really relying on to do much of anything.  IMO, for Johansson it might be kind of a last shot in the NHL kind of thing considering his age and how things have gone for his last few stints with league teams.   So if that won't motivate him to be better, more assertive...I'm not sure what else will.  

As far as the original question goes.  I think they can, mainly because the Pacific is still pretty weak.  San Jose is still a mess, Anaheim is probably going to still be pretty bad and while Los Angeles is getting a little better I still think those make for a lot of potential points I think the Kraken can rack up.  

I think 3rd place is achievable.  The Kraken will have a pretty good defense and goaltending...they will keep games closer Hakstol will get them to pay with a chip on their shoulder.  

31 minutes ago, Puck_Pun said:

They'll probably make the playoffs but won't have a deep run. Probably a round one elimination. 

I would agree with this.  I don't think they'll contend, but they should be able to keep games close.  They are almost like a Western Conference version of the NY Islanders.  

On 8/7/2021 at 6:39 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

Vancouver is a head scratcher.  I cannot figure that team out.  Two years ago they surprise everyone. Last year things do not work out. They lose their goalie.  Now what?

Vancouver has quite a bit of 'scrambling' to do.
They are definitely one of the teams Seattle (if the Kraken don't go off the deep end with how they go about their business during the season) can look to finish ahead of.

Canucks have some really good players, but their defense leaves a lot, and I mean A LOT to be desired.
Last season, that defensive unit basically threw Thatcher Demko and Braden Holtby to the wolves so to speak.
Demko did ok, Holtby, well, he really was nowhere to be found.

The Canucks look to correct some of that, with Demko still being the guy in net, they get Jaroslav Halak in there to hopefully be a better back up and revamped their defense by swapping out Nate Schmidt with Oliver Ekman-Larsson as their "do everything" guy and added Luke Schenn for some much needed toughness, trying to replace Alex Edler.

But if you are Seattle, you look at all the Western Canadian teams in your division (with the possible exception of Edmonton) as very 'beatable'.
Kraken look like they will go about it in a different way than Vegas though.

Knights were built from the gate to be a more offense oriented, attack style team, the Kraken with all the defensemen they grabbed up and all the mid to bottom six talent up front, look to smother teams and hope Grubauer and/or Dreidger and make whatever offense they can muster stand.

6 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I would agree with this.  I don't think they'll contend, but they should be able to keep games close.  They are almost like a Western Conference version of the NY Islanders.  

I've seen them compared to the islanders everywhere, and I'm never quite sure whether the person means it as a compliment or an insult

30 minutes ago, Puck_Pun said:

I've seen them compared to the islanders everywhere, and I'm never quite sure whether the person means it as a compliment or an insult

Sounds like to me, when people compare a team to the Islanders, they likely mean "low scoring, defensive minded" at best.... "lesser talented" even "boring" at worst.

Personally, that doesn't sound like neither a fair nor accurate assessment of the current Isles' roster.

IMO, if you compare a team to the Islanders, I look at it as "defensive minded, tough, with opportunistic scoring".
And if you are Seattle, and THAT is what people mean, then that is surely a compliment as the Islanders have been one of the better underrated teams in the league the last few seasons.

That all said, I am not so sure Seattle may fit that mold just yet.
Looking at their roster, I don't really see an Anders Lee, a Mat Barzal, a Josh Bailey up front, for instance.....at least not yet.

Defensively though, they just may have the ability to shut teams down, in which case, playing a clogging, boring style may have to suit them (more like St. Louis just before they got better skill up front)....though it will remain to be seen if the Kraken group have anything like the Pulock/Pelech combo that work so well on the blue line and a good up n coming defenseman like Noah Dobson the Isles are looking to work up the food chain.

Finally, looking at who is actually the GM of the Kraken, Ron Francis, if he is going to build his team anything like he did when he was GM in Carolina, we just may see a team smothers, lane clogs, traps, and relies on checking and goaltending (I.E. 'boring') until they can figure things out on the offensive side.

I seem to recall most of those Ron Francis Hurricanes teams to be that way, also trying to figure out consistent scoring.....though they DID have good overall team speed as well.