NCAA Men's Hockey

Icechipper

The latest USCHO released today.  Half the teams in the top 5 are in Wild Country:

1. St. Cloud State 6-2 (NCHC)

3. Minnesota State 4-2 (CCHA)

4. Minnesota Duluth 5-1 (NCHC)

6. North Dakota 4-2 (NCHC)

7. Minnesota 3-3 (Big 10)

17. Bemidji State 3-3 (CCHA)

N/A Wisconsin 2-5 (Big 10)

N/A St. Thomas 1-7 (CCHA)

Teams dive into regional play next weekend. Was able to see my two Almas Mater last week as the Beavers won an OT thriller over the Fighting Hawks in Grand Forks.

Additional NCAA polls come out Tuesday.

Edited by Icechipper
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At the Ralph tonight as #4 University of Minnesota-Duluth beat home team #6 North Dakota 4-1 in a Grand Forks sellout.

Fighting Hawks without leading scorer and defensive stud Jake Sanderson, and two other starters.

Former Bemidji State goaltender Zach Driscoll, one of six Covid transfers playing for UND, allowed three, with the final tally in an empty net. Second game in series Saturday at 6.

Big 10 power Minnesota comes to the Ralph next weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Attended Cornell at North Dakota last nite. A 3-1 win and sweep for the Big Red. And Cornell is a big-boy team and they manhandled some of UND's undersized defensemen. Kleven and Sanderson looked good for the Fighting Hawks.

• 2 months later...

After finishing Northern Michigan and Bowling Green clubs, the upstart Bemidji State University Beavers square off Saturday for CCHA cup at No. 1 Mankato.

David vs. Goliath for Beavers, last chance at the ice dance.

Sillinger Bros. exciting to watch.

Wish more Big10 (Big14) schools played NCAA hockey.  It gets ____ing cold in winter in nearly all this territory but indoor basketball culture esp Indiana Illinois Iowa has been strong enough over time to prevent serious hockey play.

These areas are more river than lake, maybe has something to do with it?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Illinois should have a team and I've heard their exploring it.  However, I still hate the Big 10.  It was and still is such a downgrade over what they had in the WCHA.  

Yep. They ruined the greatest conference in college hockey. The WCHA

The NHL has a chance to turn the college hockey experience into something closer to football and basketball if it invested more into it. Like spreading it down south more.

Now i am still not saying it will rival them but it would certainly get bigger especially when the Canes, Bolts and Panthers doing well that is all it takes is a kid with a dream.

But it isn't advertised much at all here, the University of South Carolina Gamecocks has a hockey team on the other side of the exit i live off of. But you never know when a game is on anywhere here TV, nothing my daughter skates down there sometimes and when i go up there i am mad because the game will be going on and i wouldn't have mind watching it. I have to find a way to get a schedule.

But it has something to do being part of a private club and something to do with sponsorship and the rink is small as to why it isn't known even around the city i live near by.

And those punk kids running the skate desk don't know jack crap. Man this world is in trouble.

So i will have to find out the conference they play in. Everyone i know who knows anything about it says it's on facebook. Well i am 50 and i have never facebooked....and won't now.

Anyways looking for a good title game.

On 3/20/2022 at 12:08 PM, OccamsRazor said:

The NHL has a chance to turn the college hockey experience into something closer to football and basketball if it invested more into it. Like spreading it down south more.

Now i am still not saying it will rival them but it would certainly get bigger especially when the Canes, Bolts and Panthers doing well that is all it takes is a kid with a dream.

But it isn't advertised much at all here, the University of South Carolina Gamecocks has a hockey team on the other side of the exit i live off of. But you never know when a game is on anywhere here TV, nothing my daughter skates down there sometimes and when i go up there i am mad because the game will be going on and i wouldn't have mind watching it. I have to find a way to get a schedule.

But it has something to do being part of a private club and something to do with sponsorship and the rink is small as to why it isn't known even around the city i live near by.

And those punk kids running the skate desk don't know jack crap. Man this world is in trouble.

So i will have to find out the conference they play in. Everyone i know who knows anything about it says it's on facebook. Well i am 50 and i have never facebooked....and won't now.

Anyways looking for a good title game.

But the stupid locations for the regionals has to stop.  It needs to be back in college arenas, not minor league arenas.  

It isn't too realistic to expect fans to just travel 500+ miles to go to a game with about a week of lead time to plan, etc.  

It makes the story less about the games and more about lack of fans in the stands.  The games so far have been pretty good and we have two teams onto the Frozen Four in the #1 seed in the West in Denver and #1 seed in the 'Midwest" in Minnesota State.  

Minnesota vs. Western Michigan

Quinnipiac vs. Michigan

Anyone outside of Minnesota feel the ESPN broadcasts; especially the ones with Buccigross and senile Barry Melrose were blatantly rooting for the Massachusetts teams throughout the regional games?  

4 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

But the stupid locations for the regionals has to stop.

Very good point.

I don't know why this is happening and why they don't get the love that college basketball gets, and i say this knowing that it will never be as big as basketball but it won't grow the way they are treating and no giving it the exposure it needs to do so.

6 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Anyone outside of Minnesota feel the ESPN broadcasts; especially the ones with Buccigross and senile Barry Melrose were blatantly rooting for the Massachusetts teams throughout the regional games?  

I can't say i have to usually mute it to be able to enjoy it. So myself i rarely listen with the volume on

kind of like when i watch when watching a Bruins broadcast i have to mute it because i loath Jack Edwards and refuse to listen to anything he comments on.