Kaprizov - Fiala double trouble

lynxrattle

To be able to have comeback wins and wins in tight matches the Wild would need to be able to have both Kap and Fiala on ice come PP, OT or 6 against 5 situations.

In order to develop some chemistry they need to have time on ice with each other. Tonight they had some 5 against 5 time together, against a bottom feeding Kraken. It was horrendous. We have a potential future Selke winner in Eek, and still it was a disaster seeing the duo in a 5 against 5 situation.

If this is what it is, we have to trade one or the other at some point of time. We won't win the Cup if the team's two best forwards aren't able to play with each other.

I'd say we would have to see more of them as a duo, to get more info on if they would learn in time. But to let them play now as a duo, will probably mean losing games right now. It ain't easy for Evason.

In my opinion, they should shoot more at every chance, instead of passing it a lot to each other. The rest was not bad. I want to see out of them at least 10 shots per game. Maybe that will transform into some results their efforts. And a 2nd line (Greenway-Hartman-Foligno) must to produce a lot of goals, but not placing mainly zero or 1 shot per game. With that way we are not going to win consistently. First 2 lines suppose to produce most team's goals.

2 hours ago, Alexandron said:

In my opinion, they should shoot more at every chance, instead of passing it a lot to each other. The rest was not bad. I want to see out of them at least 10 shots per game. Maybe that will transform into some results their efforts

Agree there. If they kept on shooting and keeping it simple they might start to gel. At their best both of the players have that relentless hound dog type energy. They should work fine together if only they kept concentrating on effort and speed. At this moment of their development the emphasis more on will, and less on skill.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lynxrattle said:

To be able to have comeback wins and wins in tight matches the Wild would need to be able to have both Kap and Fiala on ice come PP, OT or 6 against 5 situations.

In order to develop some chemistry they need to have time on ice with each other. Tonight they had some 5 against 5 time together, against a bottom feeding Kraken. It was horrendous. We have a potential future Selke winner in Eek, and still it was a disaster seeing the duo in a 5 against 5 situation.

If this is what it is, we have to trade one or the other at some point of time. We won't win the Cup if the team's two best forwards aren't able to play with each other.

I'd say we would have to see more of them as a duo, to get more info on if they would learn in time. But to let them play now as a duo, will probably mean losing games right now. It ain't easy for Evason.

Your not giving the Kraken enough credit they played a great game a complete team game last night.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bear said:

Your not giving the Kraken enough credit they played a great game a complete team game last night.  

I don't mean to rag on the Kraken. They did play a marvelous game. I'm just saying that the Wild is a better team and should have been able to control the game like they did for the first half of the first period.

• Like 2

I am tired of the excuses.  These guys both produced a lot more with lesser linemates last year.  Their chemistry wasn't exactly dazzling and I think to a certain extent, #22 probably greatly resents #97.  

Joel Eriksson Ek should be the one suing them for a lack of support.  They are both horrendous defensively and neither seems to interested in doing the tough work to get pucks, especially Kaprizov who seems to be disinterested in general.  

Fiala will have some shifts where we see him work hard, etc but he's mostly looking to create a chance for himself to score.  Hartman gift wrapped a goal for him against Seattle and he choked.  

If Fiala wants a big payday from the Wild or any team he better pick up his game.  As far as Kaprizov goes, unless he's hurt / injured what has he done that shows he's anywhere near the money he got from the Wild?  Part of what made Kaprizov fun and interesting to watch was how he did all of those little things at both ends of the ice.  He'd backcheck he'd hit someone or dig the puck out of the corners.  He seemed to do anything the team needed him to do.  Now he looks like he's not willing to get dirty and just expects others to do the work to get him goals / scoring chances.  

Double trouble is right as in...throwing both disappointments together and hoping they'll work it out.  The team has to have these guys scoring goals (not just setting them up) if they want to have a chance most nights.  

Seattle was standing them up as they crossed the blueline consistently.  Teams used to do that to Marian Gaborik and that seemed to shut him down pretty effectively.  The Avalanche were notorious for doing that to #10.  Now teams have seen how you can neutralize them both.  That's bad news for the Wild and the great players find a way to adapt and still be effective.  IMO we're going to find out if they're truly great...and can adapt or if they're just good with an asterisk.  

• Like 2

I'm not finding excuses. On the contrary. If they are not up to it, we'll find it out in the least amount of time by giving them time to show what they can - or can not - do together. If they are not achieving anything playing separated, they can blame it on who they play with. If they play together more, they play with a good center in Eek, and with the supposedly best wingers we have. If nothing start happening then, then it's pretty clear we overpaid Kap by a lot, and we would have some indication on how much Fiala would be worth paying. It's not like we're achieving much this season anyway - so why not use the games for finding out if they can play together or not, and who's a keeper and who's not?

• Like 1

Yes, but the team decided to build around one of those players.  A player they gave a giant contract to after just 55 NHL games.  If he's the 'superstar' we're building around, this team may be in for some big time disappointment.  

But to Fiala...the guy who constantly gets told he has to prove himself.  And he is on a line with the $9 million man whom the team bent over to get signed even after he mocked them and delayed and delayed signing until just about the last possible moment?  No doubt Fiala resents that.  Especially when he was put on a line with even less support than #97 and gets treated like he's proven everything.  

Right now neither is living up to anything other than being disappointing which is about as Minnesota pro sports as it gets.  

• Like 1

The biggest problem the EEK/ Kk/KF line had was not getting out of their end. 
Maybe keeping them together and a little coaching could change that. 
maybe a different center. 
EEK looks much better with Foligno and Greenway. 
Greenway only looks good with EEK and Foligno, anyone else, worthless. 

• Like 1

I think both players already disappointed by themselves with the lack of scoring in 8 games. It seems like someone is biting consistently their mentality on pieces. Who this could be? 🤔 No questions both can produce, but not for beginning of this season. We need lots of goals from them. Let's will see more how they will do against other not superb teams. Game by game, goal by goal. This title as well as thread when they read it, probably, are getting them more and more confused and distracting from scoring. 😅

Edited by Alexandron
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Alexandron said:

This title as well as thread when they read it, probably, are getting them more and more confused and distracting from scoring. 😅

I doubt they read the forum and even if they did they would get the same message from Twitter and social media elsewhere.

There's a saying "when the going gets tough, the tough get going". Kap and Fiala only need to watch MacKinnon bulldozing Brodin, or how Hartman with a lot less skills has played the last two games to see what they need to do.

I'm quite hopeful they will find their game from their competitive nature, but I also think that in order to get there they will need to be held as accountable as anyone else. It's for their own good (didn't my Mom use to say something like that to me when growing up...)

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

55 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

An interesting good article came up recently regarding Fiala's unlucky scoring difficulties with his interview:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2021/11/1/22758293/minnesota-wild-kevin-fiala-performance-lineup-stats-nhl 

Just a little slump hes due keep shooting they will go in.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

The shot chart in the article and the shot volume looked good. If he keeps it up, there should be results. It would of course help if there were others with him near the blue paint.

I think Beckman capable to do this part well too. Foligno is good too, but he is on other line. Evason needs to find a Fiala chemistry  to a permanent players who are playing with him. So far I do see only tryouts. Maybe to include Rossi too who is having a similar mentality as Fiala?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alexandron said:

I think Beckman capable to do this part well too. Foligno is good too, but he is on other line. Evason needs to find a Fiala chemistry  to a permanent players who are playing with him. So far I do see only tryouts. Maybe to include Rossi too who is having a similar mentality as Fiala?

Actually, Rossi (our 2020 draft; round 1; #9 overall) is doing pretty well in Iowa and is having already 4 points(1 goal;3 assists; +/- +3) in 4 played games there. Practically a point per game so far. He played hard during a preseason time and during a Kurvers Prospect Tournament against Chicago team in 2 games this fall. I think he earned a tryout in the big club too. 

The biggest producers out of our multiple youngsters should get the permanent spot in the big club.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, lynxrattle said:

I think they will. Major time in Iowa, some time in the Wild. Best of both worlds.

In my opinion, for both worlds  will be the best major time in the Wild and some time in Iowa for our promising youngsters. Only that way they can get the real NHL experience and real NHL mentality. :-).

• Like 1