NHL television choices

Tomdog

I'm really missing the NHL on NBCSN.

Really loved watching Wednesday night rivalry.

Now we get the occasional late game on TNT and the Wild.

I'm not ready to spend the money on ESPN+ so I'm jst going to have to do without, but I'm not liking it.

NHL must have preferred the cash from ESPN over their fans.

I got ESPN + on the Disney bundle for $13.99. It was a way better option than NHL Center Ice... at $99.99, and especially because no way to count on them giving your money back, in case the season God forbid gets cancelled.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

I got ESPN + on the Disney bundle for $13.99. It was a way better option than NHL Center Ice... at $99.99, and especially because no way to count on them giving your money back, in case the season God forbid gets cancelled.

Yeah, same here. Quite by accident because when I got it I didn't realize hockey would be included. Kind of cool.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomdog said:

I'm really missing the NHL on NBCSN.

Really loved watching Wednesday night rivalry.

Now we get the occasional late game on TNT and the Wild.

I'm not ready to spend the money on ESPN+ so I'm jst going to have to do without, but I'm not liking it.

NHL must have preferred the cash from ESPN over their fans.

I'm not a fan of this deal the NHL made with ESPN either.
Years ago, when ESPN used to run National Hockey Night, the network didn't seem to give hockey equal footing with other things like football, basketball, baseball.... hell even "extreme games" and soccer got more air time than hockey.

Basically, the network always treated the NHL as a 2nd or 3rd class citizen, and once the NHL got their deal with VS, then NBC Sports (I think VS became NBC Sports, but I could be wrong), it seemed the NHL were on their way to really carving out their own spot atop the team sports world.

Now, they are back in bed with ESPN, and that overrated network STILL treats the NHL as an afterthought.
Burying games on ESPN+ (really, who in the blue hell tells ALL their friend about "Hey, did you see the big game on ESPN+?" No one. Nobody. That's who), using announcers that are so green, they make spinach blush, and STILL on the main network, when going over the day's sports, the NHL gets maybe 2 or 3 minutes in quick rundowns on highlights, while they go in-depth with other sports.

It sucks.
Completely.

We are Centre Ice subscribers, and have been for years. I can get any game I want, my choice of feeds on multiple devices.
Granted, ESPN now has control of NHL rights, so they hoard away exclusives for themselves on that network EVERYONE knows about, ESPN+, but for those, I have high quality streams that take care of that for me....free of charge.

We pay quite a bit for our hockey packages, so I have no shame in pirating in games that ESPN wants to keep for themselves.
Screw them.

I am in Ramsey County, Minnesota, so obviously Wild games I have to watch through Bally Sports North, but yea, any game I want, either through Centre Ice or something like onhockey . tv which gives me everything from ESPN exclusive games, to AHL games, to college games....even KHL games if I am so inclined.

yes I have ESPN+, Disney+ and Hulu bundle as well and like that it includes pretty much every game and I can choose Home or Away feeds. Only exception is if it's streaming on something like TNT or NHL network which isn't a lot maybe a two games a week than you'll have to watch on that specific channel. Also they will have a few games each week that are only on ESPN+/Hulu so broadcast by there team and no option for home or away feeds on those games. So for tonight I have the ability to watch every game that is on if I so choose and two games are only on ESPN+/Hulu. Usually Fridays I believe are the day they broadcast games with there team.  So for me it's a win since we already had the bundle anyways and for 13.99 you can't go wrong to get all three.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have Center Ice, ESPN+ even sprung for the extra sports packages on Dish.  Thanks to Sinclair we get zilch.  

Like Tropical, we watch almost all of the games on the computer.  Living in Wisconsin, we get blacked out of just about any national broadcast.  Not even because of sellouts, but because of advertising.  

ESPN+ sucks.  She's 100% right about the green broadcasts and the fact the NHL has gotten ZERO visibility from its new deal with ESPN / TNT.  They were way better off with NBC and NBC Sports Network.  Way better.  They given priority more often than not and the network even advertised for upcoming games.  See anything like that on ESPN?  Nope.  They almost got more attention when they were not on ESPN than being back on it.   

The only positive I've seen, is that Buccigross has improved slightly as a play-by-play man.  From his super cringe-worthy college hockey calls where he sounds like a person watching TV while his hand gets caught in a blender; to now being more calm and under control.  Does it mean he's a great play-by-play person, no...but its almost tolerable.  

I don't feel bad at all by watching some computer feed; I've paid more than one party to watch the games they are not allowing me to watch.  I'm simply making sure I'm getting what I'm paying for.