Flyers 2022 Pre-Draft Talk

flyercanuck

17 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I guess if we get the 6th pick and acquire another first round we can move try and move up in the draft if there is an exceptional player available.

Wright was looking pretty good, then last year happened. The OHL shut down and he missed an entire season of development. Then he contracted covid this year and missed more time. He just hasn't looked the same since. I still think he could regain his form. But as of now, there really isn't an exceptional player in the draft. That's not to say there won't be when all is said and done.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Wright was looking pretty good, then last year happened. The OHL shut down and he missed an entire season of development. Then he contracted covid this year and missed more time. He just hasn't looked the same since. I still think he could regain his form. But as of now, there really isn't an exceptional player in the draft. That's not to say there won't be when all is said and done.

That's part of the reason why I think the Flyers should take one of the Slovak defensemen available this year. As for Wright, it's too bad how his season has gone, but I'm looking at these junior players who ended up getting covid or had their seasons interrupted and they just aren't the same player after. However, that Matthew Savoie in Winnipeg is sure looking the real deal. If he were two inches taller,  he'd be in position for number one. Once you drop below that 5'10" height though, scouts avoid you at number one because ARGH SIIIIIIIIIZE. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

There’s a big skilled center Geekie and a big left wing Slafovsky , we certainly could use some big guys with skill. Our most skilled players are kinda small. Frost, Farabee,Atkinson and TK. I guess who we draft will all depend on what players we get via trade. With all the injuries we have had to our high draft  picks , I would not risk a #6 pick on a guy who was hurt and lost valuable development time. If we got another first round pick via trade, I would take a chance later in the draft if possible.

2 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

There’s a big skilled center Geekie and a big left wing Slafovsky , we certainly could use some big guys with skill. Our most skilled players are kinda small. Frost, Farabee,Atkinson and TK. I guess who we draft will all depend on what players we get via trade. With all the injuries we have had to our high draft  picks , I would not risk a #6 pick on a guy who was hurt and lost valuable development time. If we got another first round pick via trade, I would take a chance later in the draft if possible.

The problem with Geekie is that he isn't a play driver and that's what you want from a center. As well, he might be the product of a loaded team. On top of it, he's got a fatal dose and that's his skating. If you're a big man, you have to be able to skate. Could power skating and leg strength fix him? Maybe,  but its also possible that he needs to change his skating style completely (like Foerster did), but if you're a number 5 or 6 pick, that's not something to risk. 

As for Slafovsky, I hate the European leagues always give minimal ice time to younger players. If they're playing and playing well, give them additional ice time. Don't put them in a third or fourth line and not give them special teams time either. 

As of right now, I hope they pick with Simon Nemec or David Jiricek,  two Slovak defensemen who are right handed, can skate really well and handle the puck. Now, that could all change depending on what deals Schmuck makes (especially Giroux), but that's what I'd be looking at to start with in this year's draft. 

3 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

The problem with Geekie is that he isn't a play driver and that's what you want from a center. As well, he might be the product of a loaded team. On top of it, he's got a fatal dose and that's his skating. If you're a big man, you have to be able to skate. Could power skating and leg strength fix him? Maybe,  but its also possible that he needs to change his skating style completely (like Foerster did), but if you're a number 5 or 6 pick, that's not something to risk. 

As for Slafovsky, I hate the European leagues always give minimal ice time to younger players. If they're playing and playing well, give them additional ice time. Don't put them in a third or fourth line and not give them special teams time either. 

As of right now, I hope they pick with Simon Nemec or David Jiricek,  two Slovak defensemen who are right handed, can skate really well and handle the puck. Now, that could all change depending on what deals Schmuck makes (especially Giroux), but that's what I'd be looking at to start with in this year's draft. 

I haven’t seen any of the 2022 draft class play or seen scouting reports, so I am only going by draft ratings. I’m sure some of the guys in Canada can give us good scouting reports. All I know is we can’t afford any more draft failures or picking injury prone guys. If Coots goes in a trade , then either we get a center back in the trade or we draft one. We probably do need a good right handed dman with size, since Ellis is injury prone and if Risto is traded 

We probably do need a good right handed dman with size, since Ellis is injury prone and if Risto is traded 

What's scary is that nobody is saying what's wrong with Ellis and the fact he isn't recovering, yet they won't look at surgery. That leads me to believe that the injury is potentially career threatening, especially if it's a deteriorating injury. 

As for Risto, he sucks balls so no loss there if we end up getting a late first or a blue chip prospect for him. Let someone else waste their time with him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

You're not getting Wright at #6. It's possible he falls 1 or 2 spots but I can't see him going any later than 3rd. I also wouldn't be surprised if he soon takes off back to his former self and puts some distance between him and #2.

31 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

You're not getting Wright at #6. It's possible he falls 1 or 2 spots but I can't see him going any later than 3rd. I also wouldn't be surprised if he soon takes off back to his former self and puts some distance between him and #2.

We can always hope to move up in the lottery and maybe this time do a lot better than JVR and Patrick

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Since you are in Canada and probably know more about the prospects, let’s say we pick 6th…which guy do you think would be the best pick for the Flyers?

Since you are in Canada and probably know more about the prospects, let’s say we pick 6th…which guy do you think would be the best pick for the Flyers?

Savoie or Geekie for me. But that's just CHL guys.

1 hour ago, RonJeremy said:

I hope we can get a big strong guy like Geekie, we have too many small guys. We need some skilled physical guys. 

Correction, I just hope we can draft a guy who actually reaches his potential, not like now where 25 year old guys are making the same bone headed mistakes they made when they were rookies. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Correction, I just hope we can draft a guy who actually reaches his potential, not like now where 25 year old guys are making the same bone headed mistakes they made when they were rookies. 

I'm pretty sure until they clean house it won't matter who they draft....they'll never reach their potential.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm pretty sure until they clean house it won't matter who they draft....they'll never reach their potential.

I give you guys (on this thread) a lot of credit for keeping up with the prospects in juniors and other leagues. But I'm afraid this quote is true. I don't know exactly what "clean house" means but it has to include at least Fletcher #1 and Yeo #2. As far as the suits Clarke Homer and the Comcast clowns I doubt they're going anywhere...but I hope I'm wrong.

• Like 2