NHL Head Coaching Carousel

Brewin Flames

43 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Devils mistake was getting rid of Ruff in first place getting Keefe doesn't improve them over losing Ruff but it's definitely an improvement over the nothing they currently have...

• Like 2

•  

Craig Berube gets Maple Leafs job

• shilton_kristen.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Kristen Shilton, ESPN NHL reporterMay 17, 2024, 05:04 PM ET

The Toronto Maple Leafs have hired Craig Berube as their new head coach.

The Leafs fired head coach Sheldon Keefe on May 9 after Toronto bowed out of the postseason with another first-round Stanley Cup playoff loss, for the third time in four full seasons under Keefe. Toronto's general manager Brad Treliving said then the Leafs were targeting a fresh voice who could help the team reach its full potential.

"In this business over a period of time, the message stops hitting home," said Treliving of moving on from Keefe. "It's not just changing the personnel but understanding why a message may not be getting through. So, our focus right now is trying to find that individual [as our next coach]."

This will be Berube's third NHL head coaching job. He was previously behind the bench in Philadelphia from 2013-15, guiding the Flyers to a playoff berth in 2014 before being let go following a poor sixth place finish in the Metropolitan Division the following season.

Berube, 58, went on to coach the St. Louis Blues' American Hockey League's Chicago Wolves from 2016-17. At the end of that season the Blues promoted Berube to be an assistant coach under Mike Yeo. When Yeo was fired in November 2018, Berube was named interim head coach for the struggling Blues. In January 2019, St. Louis was a lowly 15-18-4 and sitting last in league standings.

The Blues rallied under Berube though to not only reach the postseason as a third seed in the Central Division, but eventually win St Louis' first-ever Stanley Cup.

That made Berube just the second interim head coach in league history to ever win a championship (Larry Robinson did it first with the 2000 New Jersey Devils).

In June 2019, the Blues removed Berube's interim tag and signed him to a three-year contract. He re-upped with St. Louis again on another three-year deal in February 2022, to take him through the 2024-25 season. St. Louis never matched the same success it had during Berube's early years there, and the Blues fired him in December 2023.

Berube now joins the Leafs with a 281-190-72 record as an NHL coach.

The Alberta, Canada native also played 17 seasons in the league, appearing in 1054 games, with 61 goals and 159 points. He also dressed in 40 games for the Leafs during this career, scoring five goals and 12 points during the 1991-92 season.

• Good Post 1

Posted (edited)

There's one thing for almost certain about Craig Berube. He'll put a better defensive scheme and system in place, BUT they have to upgrade in goal. I don't think Samsonov is quite good enough. Treliving will, or certainly should be, busy in the off-season. They also need a better top 4 defensively. It will be a very interesting off-season for the Leafs, and what they get in return for Marner. I think he's played his last game as a Toronto Maple Leaf. They need a player that maybe doesn't put up the flashy numbers Marner does during the regular season, but doesn't disappear in the playoffs, and makes a positive impact on the game when not scoring. They'll probably explore trading Morgan Reilly, too. I believe that Auston Matthews is staying put, but I've been wrong before.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

There's one thing for almost certain about Craig Berube. He'll put a better defensive scheme and system in place, BUT they have to upgrade in goal. I don't think Samsonov is quite good enough. Treliving will, or certainly should be, busy in the off-season. They also need a better top 4 defensively. It will be a very interesting off-season for the Leafs, and what they get in return for Marner. I think he's played his last game as a Toronto Maple Leaf. They need a player that maybe doesn't put up the flashy numbers Marner does during the regular season, but doesn't disappear in the playoffs, and makes a positive impact on the game when not scoring. They'll probably explore trading Morgan Reilly, too. I believe that Auston Matthews is staying put, but I've been wrong before.

Agree...and I lovd this Berube hire Treliving gonna get to Cup finals next 4 years one way or another Berube best coach out there beside Sutter of course👍

Think the Sabres are being crazy bringing Lindy back?  Now the Leafs have made Berube their head coach!  Seems a bit of a strange fit to me.  There are at least 4 more jobs available I believe?  Yes I see Brewin Flames listed them.  The Blues extended the guy who took over and he did well.  I’m hoping Lindy gets some help from GM?  I guess other vacancies may not be filled until playoffs end?

• Like 1

Jim Hiller named Kings coach with interim tag removed

May 22, 2024, 02:36 PM ET

The Los Angeles Kings removed the interim tag and named Jim Hiller as the club's 30th head coach in franchise history on Wednesday.

Multiple media outlets reported Hiller agreed to a multi-year contract.

The Kings fired Todd McLellan on Feb. 2 and tabbed Hiller as the team's interim head coach. Under Hiller's watch, the Kings finished the regular season on a 21-12-1 run before falling in five games to the Edmonton Oilers in their Western Conference first-round playoff series.

Los Angeles was 23-15-10 under McLellan this season.

Hiller, 55, joined the Kings in July 2022 after stints as an assistant coach with the Detroit Red Wings (2014-15), Toronto Maple Leafs (2015-19) and New York Islanders (2019-22).

As a player, Hiller recorded 20 points (eight goals, 12 assists) and 116 penalty minutes in 63 career games with the Kings, Red Wings and New York Rangers. He was selected by the Kings in the 10th round of the 1989 NHL draft.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

Sharks 

Kraken

Jets

I'm looking at Marco Sturm, David Carle and Jeff Halpurn myself.

Strong junior coaches and assistant with big player development streaks.

We don't need a name coach here, we need player development coaches for the next few years

Edited by J0e Th0rnton

Bylsma hired as coach of Kraken, replaces Hakstol

53-year-old will lead 1st NHL team since Sabres in 2016-17

Bylsma_Sabres-bench

© Bill Wippert/NHLI

ByNHL.com

Dan Bylsma was named coach of the Seattle Kraken on Tuesday.

The 53-year-old, who won the Stanley Cup as coach of the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2009, replaces Dave Hakstol and is the Kraken's second coach since they joined the NHL as an expansion team for the 2021-22 season. 

Bylsma will coach in the NHL for the first time since 2016-17 with the Buffalo Sabres. He guided Seattle's American Hockey League affiliate in Coachella Valley to the Western Conference Finals of the Calder Cup Playoffs in each of his two seasons and is 320-190-55 in 565 NHL games coaching the Pittsburgh Penguins and Sabres. 

He will continue to coach Coachella Valley through the Calder Cup Playoffs. Game 1 of the Western Conference Finals is Wednesday in Palm Springs. 

“I have a familiarity with a lot of the players and staff here and think we have a chance to build something special together,” Bylsma said.

“I’d like to thank everyone with the Coachella Valley Firebirds for welcoming my wife and me with open arms, and I’d like to thank Samantha Holloway and the entire Kraken ownership group, as well as Ron Francis, for trusting me with this opportunity.”

The Kraken (34-35-3) fired Hakstol on April 29. They failed to make the Stanley Cup Playoffs, finishing sixth in the Pacific Division, one season after advancing to the Western Conference Second Round, a seven-game loss to the Dallas Stars.

Bylsma was an assistant coach for Charlotte, the 2021-22 regular-season champions affiliated with the Kraken and Florida Panthers. He coached the Penguins to the 2009 Stanley Cup championship after replacing Michel Therrien on Feb. 15, going 18-3-4. At 38-years-old, Bylsma was the youngest coach in the NHL at the time.

Two seasons later, he won the Jack Adams Award voted as NHL coach of the year when the Penguins went 49-25-8 despite 350 man-games lost because of injury and missing forwards Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin for the final 35 regular-season games. 

“Dan is a winner with a proven track record of developing both young and veteran talent, and his leadership will help our team as we move forward,” Kraken general manager Ron Francis said.

“He has had success at every level, winning the Stanley Cup in 2009, earning a Jack Adams Award as the NHL’s top coach in 2011, and he led the Firebirds to Game 7 of the Calder Cup Finals last year in the team’s first season.

He knows our franchise and has worked with several of our NHL players. We are excited to have him behind the bench and guiding our team next season.”

Bylsma coached the United States at the 2014 Sochi Olympics and guided the Sabres for two seasons (2015-17). He was a Detroit Red Wings assistant for three seasons before joining the Kraken player development group for the 2021-22 season.

He was also an AHL assistant in Cincinnati and Wilkes/Barre Scranton and the New York Islanders before becoming Wilkes/Barre Scranton coach in 2008-09.  

He played 429 NHL games as a forward for the Los Angeles Kings and Mighty Ducks of Anaheim after he was a sixth-round pick (No. 109) of the Winnipeg Jets in the 1989 NHL Draft. He earned the nickname "Disco Dan" while playing for Phoenix of the International Hockey League from 1994-96. 

The San Jose Sharks are the only team without a coach. Since the regular season ended, the Sabres hired Lindy Ruff on April 22, Travis Green joined the Ottawa Senators on May 7, the Toronto Maple Leafs named Craig Berube to the position May 17, Sheldon Keefe was hired by the New Jersey Devils on May 23 and Scott Arniel became coach of the Winnipeg Jets the next day.

On 5/22/2024 at 2:54 PM, Brewin Flames said:

Jim Hiller named Kings coach with interim tag removed

May 22, 2024, 02:36 PM ET

The Los Angeles Kings removed the interim tag and named Jim Hiller as the club's 30th head coach in franchise history on Wednesday.

Multiple media outlets reported Hiller agreed to a multi-year contract.

The Kings fired Todd McLellan on Feb. 2 and tabbed Hiller as the team's interim head coach. Under Hiller's watch, the Kings finished the regular season on a 21-12-1 run before falling in five games to the Edmonton Oilers in their Western Conference first-round playoff series.

Los Angeles was 23-15-10 under McLellan this season.

Hiller, 55, joined the Kings in July 2022 after stints as an assistant coach with the Detroit Red Wings (2014-15), Toronto Maple Leafs (2015-19) and New York Islanders (2019-22).

As a player, Hiller recorded 20 points (eight goals, 12 assists) and 116 penalty minutes in 63 career games with the Kings, Red Wings and New York Rangers. He was selected by the Kings in the 10th round of the 1989 NHL draft.

Hail Hiller!

• 3 weeks later...

Warsofsky named Sharks coach, replaces Quinn

36-year-old will lead team for 1st time in NHL after 2 seasons as San Jose assistant

Warsofsky_SJS-bench

© Getty Images

ByNHL.com

Ryan Warsofsky was named coach of the San Jose Sharks on Thursday.

The 36-year-old replaces David Quinn and will coach for the first time in the NHL. He was a Sharks assistant the past two seasons, overseeing defensemen and the penalty kill.

In Warsofsky's first season, Erik Karlsson won his second Norris Trophy after he set a San Jose record for points by a defenseman with 101. Karlsson  also was the sixth NHL player at the position to reach at least 100 points in one season and his 1.23 points per game was the third-best in the past three decades among defensemen who played at least five games in any given season.

"I'm overwhelmed with gratitude and excitement to be named as the head coach of the San Jose Sharks," Warsofsky said.

"This a tremendous opportunity to continue to be part of a well-respected organization, and my family and I couldn't be more excited for this next chapter.

I want to thank our owner Hasso Plattner, president Jonathan Becher, general manager Mike Grier and assistant GMs Tom Holy and Joe Will for their trust in me. This is an organization that has a rich history of winning, and I can't wait to get to work on coaching a team that our fans can be proud of."

Warsofsky was an assistant for the United States at the 2023 IIHF World Championship, helping guide it to a fourth-place finish. He joined the Sharks after two seasons coaching Chicago of the American Hockey League, including a league-best 50-16-5-5 record in 2021-22 en route to winning the 2022 Calder Cup. He's 105-47-11-7 as an AHL coach with Chicago and Charlotte.

The Sharks (19-54-9) fired Quinn on April 24 after finishing last in the NHL and failing to qualify for the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the fifth consecutive season. They started 0-10-1, second worst in NHL history after the 1943-44 New York Rangers (0-14, one tie), and allowed at least seven goals 10 times and 10 goals twice.

Quinn was named as assistant to Pittsburgh Penguins coach Mike Sullivan on Wednesday.

San Jose owns the No. 1 pick in the 2024 NHL Draft after winning the NHL Draft Lottery on May 7, and are expected to select Boston University center Macklin Celebrini. Forward Will Smith, the No. 4 pick of the 2023 NHL Draft, signed a three-year, entry-level contract May 28.

"We're very excited to announce Ryan as the 11th head coach of the San Jose Sharks," Grier said. "His track record of success at nearly every level of hockey as a head and assistant coach speaks for itself. Ryan knows our existing group well, has the respect of the players who he will be working with, and will be a great teacher for the young players who will be joining our organization."

Warsofsky played collegiate hockey as a defenseman at Sacred Heart University and Curry College, overseas for White Caps in Turnhout, Belgium; Rio Grande of the Central Hockey League and Cape Cod of the Federal Hockey League. He also was an assistant at Curry and guided South Carolina of the ECHL from 2016-18 prior to becoming an AHL assistant in Charlotte.

Since the regular season ended, the Buffalo Sabres hired Lindy Ruff on April 22, Travis Green joined the Ottawa Senators on May 7, the Toronto Maple Leafs named Craig Berube to the position May 17, Sheldon Keefe was hired by the New Jersey Devils on May 23, Scott Arniel became coach of the Winnipeg Jets the next day and Dan Bylsma returned to the NHL as Seattle Kraken coach May 28.