*** 2022 NHL entry draft, July 7th and 8th - Bell Centre, Montreal ***

OccamsRazor

10 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Toronto just got out of Petr Mrazek's contract, moved down in the draft, giving up the goalie and their 25th to the Blackhawks for Chicago's 38th.

So....who goes to Toronto to man the nets?
Our old friend Darcy Kuemper?

At least we know it’s not MAF…

16 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Toronto just got out of Petr Mrazek's contract, moved down in the draft, giving up the goalie and their 25th to the Blackhawks for Chicago's 38th.

So....who goes to Toronto to man the nets?
Our old friend Darcy Kuemper?

PLEASE let it be Mackenzie Blackwood

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Owen Pickering, defenseman, 6'4 but a beanpole-like 175 pounds.

When the Washington Bullets selected 7’6” Sudanese center Manute Bol in the first round of the 1985 NBA draft, the Washington Post’s Tony Kornheiser summarized the inherent risk of the player’s skinny build this way:  “If he doesn’t work out, he can always be used as a speed-bump on the Beltway.”

I don’t know how dangerous the I-376 gets in The Steel City’s rush hour, but perhaps similar thinking might apply if Pickering’s narrow frame doesn’t cut it at this ultimate level 🤔 

Edited by SaucyJack

I see that my Capitals chose Russian right-wing Ivan Nikolayevich Miroshnichenko in the first round as their top draft pick.

OK, now, I may have (well I did, albeit with tongue deeply embedded in cheek) pen an opinion a couple of months ago under the Capitals section of this forum, advocating bigger roles for various minor leaguers with substantially long and complicated monikers.  I lobbied for three of them in particular, including the incomparable Axel Jonsson-Fjallby, to form a newly responsible “Syllables Line” for this aging franchise.

I am most gratified to see the Capitals club management pursuing a strategy I have already heartily endorsed, by this opening pick.  Da, da, da!

1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

So how do you think the Sabres faired overall?  I guess time will tell?

I really like the Savoie pick.  A lot.

I'm not a fan of the Ostlund pick, and it's not even about Ostlund.  I think he's probably a decent prospect that might become a middle six winger.  He's currently a center, but I suspect he won't be if/when he makes the NHL.  Who knows?   My issue with it was Kemell was still sitting there and, I think, the better player.  I'm not familiar with 6 with Buffalo's (deep) talent pool so maybe they decided to take a swing at center depth rather than a goal-scoring winger who many scouts had in or near the top 10.  

Still a decent pick here, but wouldn't have been my choice.

I don't know enough about their third pick to comment.  At that point it's a little more of a crap shoot. It didn't seem terrible, though.

I think Buffalo fans should probably be happy overall. The sabres seem like a team that's coming. And soon.

32 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I really like the Savoie pick.  A lot.

I'm not a fan of the Ostlund pick, and it's not even about Ostlund.  I think he's probably a decent prospect that might become a middle six winger.  He's currently a center, but I suspect he won't be if/when he makes the NHL.  Who knows?   My issue with it was Kemell was still sitting there and, I think, the better player.  I'm not familiar with 6 with Buffalo's (deep) talent pool so maybe they decided to take a swing at center depth rather than a goal-scoring winger who many scouts had in or near the top 10.  

Still a decent pick here, but wouldn't have been my choice.

I don't know enough about their third pick to comment.  At that point it's a little more of a crap shoot. It didn't seem terrible, though.

I think Buffalo fans should probably be happy overall. The sabres seem like a team that's coming. And soon.

I really dont have a clue about these guys yet. I do expect us  to do better this year in the standings, IF ADAMS GETS US A GOALIE?  Or if Luukenen plays well like he did when called up.  This time, he may be the guy?  But I still have slim hopes of landing a guy like Husso or Binnington even though he might be a bit of a head case  The Blues got off him quick after winning damn Cup.  Shocking.   I am not sure what the Flyers office is doing. I do not like the hire of Tortorella at this stage of his career. But who knows.  

6 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

So how do you think the Sabres faired overall?  I guess time will tell?

Time will indeed tell.

Seems the Sabres addressed the need for offense by drafting guys that could potentially offer that at the NHL level, but again, we will see over the course of the next two or three seasons.
Other than Savoie, your first rounder, I am not too sure the other picks will make an immediate impact this coming season.

Over in Hockey Bay, USA, the Lightning did NOT have another pick (after their first rounder), till the 4th round.

Well, Julien Brisebois was not gonna sit around till the 4th and gave up that 4th plus the team's 6th to move up into the 3rd round, and select Lucas Edmonds, a 21 yr old who was a whopping 1.66 PPG player in the OHL! (113 pts in 68 games).

Obviously, he won't be doing that kind of damage in the NHL, or maybe even the AHL, but if can manage to translate at least half that over to the pros, I think the Bolts did well for a 3rd round pick.

He likely starts play in AHL Syracuse come next season.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

It’s no huge surprise after Washington favored Ilya Samsonov in goal during the playoffs, that Vitek Vanacek would be dispensable.

Sure enough, the Caps dealt Vanacek and a lower pick to Los Diablos de Nueva Jersey for a higher pick, to select an 18-year old young’un D-Man who’s gonna be a Gopher in the Land O’Lakes for a while.

Vanny, we hardly knew ya…

Edited by SaucyJack

13 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

It’s no huge surprise after Washington favored Ilya Samsonov in goal during the playoffs, that Vitek Vanacek would be dispensable.

Sure enough, the Caps dealt Vanacek and a lower pick to Los Diablos de Nueva Jersey for a higher pick, to select an 18-year old young’un D-Man who’s gonna be a Gopher in the Land O’Lakes for a while.

Vanny, we hardly knew ya…

Your team must really have confidence in Samsonov as the numbers, not just this year, but going back a couple more seasons, suggest Vanecek is the “better” goalie.

Oh, and Iiked the Spanish usage of team names in sports…I do that myself occasionally to keep my Spaniard heretige sharp 😁

Los Capitales  de Washington se van a encontrar una dura competencia para llegar a los playoffs la proxima  temporada

😉

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Los Capitales  de Washington se van a encontrar una dura competencia para llegar a los playoffs la proxima  temporada

Si, como se dice en Ingles…

”reduced expectations”

I don’t want this squad to become merely a life support system for Ovie to break Gretzky’s goals record, but we’ll see.  

3 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

😉

you're killing me! LOL... 

Die Washington Capitals werden sich in der nächsten Saison einem harten Wettbewerb stellen müssen, um die Playoffs zu erreichen

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

Si, como se dice en Ingles…

”reduced expectations”

I don’t want this squad to become merely a life support system for Ovie to break Gretzky’s goals record, but we’ll see.  

"Los Capitales  de Washington se van a encontrar una dura competencia para llegar a los playoffs la proxima  temporada"

(The Washington Capitals will find stiff competition to even make the playoffs next season)  :) 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

you're killing me! LOL... 

Die Washington Capitals werden sich in der nächsten Saison einem harten Wettbewerb stellen müssen, um die Playoffs zu erreichen

I don't do German, but it sounds like you want the Capitals to DIE! 😄

Mine read, in Spanish, "The Washington Capitals will find stiff competition to even make the playoffs next season"

Basing that off the fact that both Carolina and the NY Rangers should still be good, the Islanders may come back, now that they aren't the NHL Nomads, the Penguins are always sniffing around the post season picture, and even the Devils, despite their horrid defense and questions in goal, should be able to score goals close to Avs or Leaves® quality!

Flyers are the wild card in that division!

• Like 1