Deadline Day Thread

Guest brelic

February 26, 2012 | 6:26pm ET

Flyers hunting for new goalie

TheFourthPeriod.com

The Philadelphia Flyers appear to be actively scouring the trade market for a No. 1 goaltender as the trade deadline inches closer, a source close to the situation told TFP.

Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has been concerned with the play of goalies Ilya Bryzgalov and Sergei Bobrovsky, prompting him to search for a new netminder.

According to the source, the Flyers are willing to package Bobrovsky as part of a deal that could include left wing James van Riemsdyk, depending on the goalie.

The Flyers are believed to be eyeing Nikolai Khabibulin of the Edmonton Oilers, Jean-Sebastien Giguere of the Colorado Avalanche and Ondrej Pavelec of the Winnipeg Jets.

Khabibulin and Giguere both have one-year remaining on their contracts beyond this season, while Pavelec can become a restricted free agent July 1.

It's unclear if the Jets are willing to part with Pavelec, as the team battles for a playoff spot, however GM Kevin Cheveldayoff's primary concern is building a long-term competitive team and could be persuaded into making a move depending on an offer.

Thought I'd start a deadline day thread because things are bound to get lost over multiple threads otherwise ;)

Also, take it for what it's worth, but:

@brianstartare

Sources state that Holmgren is involved in multiple talks. Nothing is imminent but the flyers are entertaining ideas to improve immediately

I know, you could say that about any team really, and I don't know how legit this guy is. But combined with the top article, it at least confirms to fans that the organization is pissed about the goaltending. It has been an epic failure if you consider how public an issue Snider made it, using his private jet to parade Bryz around town, and almost a declaration that our goaltending woes had been solved.

Make no mistake, this makes the franchise look silly and they want to fix it.

No thanks on Khabibulin. Giggy is not the long term solution either.. I might take Pavelec, but not for Bob/JVR. I want Bryz out not Bob.

I don't think straight up goalie swap is feasable. As I mentioned before in another post, I don't want to trade JVR unless it would help unload Bryz.

I think these are desperate moves.

Nikolai Khabibulin of the Edmonton Oilers, Jean-Sebastien Giguere of the Colorado Avalanche and Ondrej Pavelec of the Winnipeg Jets.

none of those guys excites me enough to give up JvR...or Bobdrovsky.

i know we're not dealing from a position of stregnth here but if he's moving those guys a legit # 1 needs to come back the other way , not ; has been, has been, never was.

i don't care that Pavelec stood on his head the other night either.

Thought I'd start a deadline day thread because things are bound to get lost over multiple threads otherwise ;)

Also, take it for what it's worth, but:

@brianstartare

Sources state that Holmgren is involved in multiple talks. Nothing is imminent but the flyers are entertaining ideas to improve immediately

I know, you could say that about any team really, and I don't know how legit this guy is. But combined with the top article, it at least confirms to fans that the organization is pissed about the goaltending. It has been an epic failure if you consider how public an issue Snider made it, using his private jet to parade Bryz around town, and almost a declaration that our goaltending woes had been solved.

Make no mistake, this makes the franchise look silly and they want to fix it.

But I do not understand, how are you going to move Bryz-aster? He has a NMC. While I would agree he might agree to waive the NMC and play for $51M in some smaller market with much less media attention, is there a GM in the league with a set big enough to do this deal? If so, who? Or maybe the question is there a GM desperate enough? Will Holmgren get hosed? How much does youth he piss away?

But I do not understand, how are you going to move Bryz-aster? He has a NMC. While I would agree he might agree to waive the NMC and play for $51M in some smaller market with much less media attention, is there a GM in the league with a set big enough to do this deal? If so, who? Or maybe the question is there a GM desperate enough? Will Holmgren get hosed? How much does youth he piss away?

No, they will move Bob and deal with Bryz later.

In other words, par for the goaltending course.

No thanks on Khabibulin. Giggy is not the long term solution either.. I might take Pavelec, but not for Bob/JVR. I want Bryz out not Bob.

I don't think straight up goalie swap is feasable. As I mentioned before in another post, I don't want to trade JVR unless it would help unload Bryz.

I think these are desperate moves.

Exactly! If you asked me if the Flyers would be doing this well (even with the recent slump) at the beginning of the season I would laugh at you. This is a growth year and blowing up the team would be a huge mistake. Let these guys gel and see how the younger guys progress next year. We can't compete with the powerhouses in a best of 7 series, unloading JVR would be a huge mistake not only in losing a quality young power forward but also bringing in and signing any potential UFAs. Carter, Richards, JVR, all traded away after signing long-term deals? Good luck bringing in any talent until Homer is out the door.

@AndyS

I can picture JSG for our 1st rounder and send Bob down to the Phantoms

that is the most realistic idea i have read....though i hate giving up draft picks....but i guess it is better than giving up our younger players.

insert sarcasm here......besides who needs draft picks.....end of sarcasm