Free Agency

CoachX

Now that we are in the off season, and can start forgetting this abysmal, unwatchable abomination, we can (maybe I should say I can), start finding hope for the future.  The draft is looming,  a coach needs to be hired and there are free agents out there. Im not intending this thread to inspire the droves of forum GMs to offer dissertations on all the past mistakes, and how player A is past his prime and not worth the money. I think we all know those POV well. 

With players like Johnny G, and Forsberg available, the price tag will be high. And the Flyers don't have alot a cap space. So my question is, to any who can offer non-abrasive insight, how can the Flyers realistically move some contracts to make space? Does Konecny need to be traded? Or maybe Sanheim? Is there a way JVR can be booted in an advantageous way for the Flyers?

Follow up question....

For the sake of discussion, IF the Flyers wanted to sign JG, could they offer him a deal (presumably between 9 and 10 mil) without having the cap space, then make moves to get under? Or do they have to clear up the space first?

I have stated in other threads ...AND it is just my opinion I DO NOT want Johnny Hockey.  His price tag will be TOO  high and he has a habit of disappearing in the playoffs.

I know some on here would love to see him in O&B, I am not one of them.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, CoachX said:

Follow up question....

For the sake of discussion, IF the Flyers wanted to sign JG, could they offer him a deal (presumably between 9 and 10 mil) without having the cap space, then make moves to get under? Or do they have to clear up the space first?

There is a 10%(?) buffer in the off-season.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

To the topic at hand there is no game changing free agent available.

Gaudreau and Forsberg both had career years in their contract year. Surprise?

Settling for best available with long term high value contracts is what got them where they are.

I can't, for the life of me, understand how EVERY Flyer fan can't see this.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Because many Flyer fans want the shiny brand new toy without looking at the long term ramifications of said new toy.

And.....to your point, many fans on FB / Twitter, don't realize many NHL players have career years in contract years .... its like they are totally oblivious to that fact.

Ya, I know. You'd just like to think after watching the exact same thing happen over and over and over that maybe, just maybe, a new direction might be in order.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ya, I know. You'd just like to think after watching the exact same thing happen over and over and over that maybe, just maybe, a new direction might be in order.

yup ..... as @radoran posted above

Frustrated Head GIF

Its like this organization is totally incapable of learning from past mistakes

• Like 4

Why does this team do this and focus on these top free agents who have career years and overpay them and what they end up getting in the end is never what they did the previous year. 

They also only have 5.1 million in slary cap money which leaves them pretty strapped which means they have to find another team who is pretty damn delusional to take on JVR and his crazy salary or buy him out which is more the case. The more possible scenario is trying to trade Konecny to free up some cap space, but still the amount someone like Johnny Hockey is going to ask is too much. If he wants to come back home and play then he needs to lower his price to do so and we all know that is not going to happen. Also Calgary said they are going to push hard to keep him.

Why don't the Flyers focus on some smaller free agents that can help. Players like Vincent Trocheck, Ryan Strome, Rickard Rakell, Andreas Athanasiou, Frank Vatrano, Nick Paul, Tyler Motte, Vincent Hinostroza, and Ryan Donato just to name a few. Now I know some of these players will be re-signed by their current teams, but the Flyers should put some effort into making offers. These players could help the team at the Center position. 

It always doesn't have to be the top players for the top money that the team has to focus on. 

• Like 4

Appreciate all the feedback, but I wasn't really stating a desire that a player like JG be signed, just the question if they wanted to, can they do it.

But to be honest, I probably fall in the stereotype outlined above, "wanting the shiny toy". If they did sign JG, it wouldn't bug me a bit

4 minutes ago, CoachX said:

but I wasn't really stating a desire that a player like JG be signed, just the question if they wanted to, can they do it.

I don't ever remember you advocating for Johnny Hockey to be signed by the Flyers.  You just happened to mention that one name and I just was stating my opinion of said player.

Theoretically .....yes I suppose the Flyers could sign one of the top FA (insert name here _____________) but as @radoran, mentioned, there is NO high priced game changing FA available that will help this team.   

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Theoretically .....yes I suppose the Flyers could sign one of the top FA (insert name here _____________) but as @radoran, mentioned, there is NO high priced game changing FA available that will help this team.   

I mean, what does signing Forsberg or JG to a seven year $9.5M contract achieve for this franchise?

If this team was a scoring winger away from contention that's one thing. And they may see it that way.

I'd rather keep the money and see if Farabee or Konecny can hit 30.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, radoran said:

I mean, what does signing Forsberg or JG to a seven year $9.5M contract achieve for this franchise?

If this team was a scoring winger away from contention that's one thing. And they may see it that way.

I'd rather keep the money and see if Farabee or Konecny can hit 30.

If you look at the play of Konecny he is not only a very streaky player, but the past two seasons he is going in the wrong direction towards 30. I don't know if he will ever reach his 61 point total of a few years back. 

Farabee on the other hand has less to go with. The last two seasons have been practically the same. I could see him improving to that next level if he is utilized correctly and if he can stay healthy. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gritty Fanatic said:

If you look at the play of Konecny he is not only a very streaky player, but the past two seasons he is going in the wrong direction towards 30. I don't know if he will ever reach his 61 point total of a few years back. 

Farabee on the other hand has less to go with. The last two seasons have been practically the same. I could see him improving to that next level if he is utilized correctly and if he can stay healthy. 

Konecny has hit 24 several times.

My main point is that Forsberg potting 30 doesn't move the needle for this team and that paying him $9.5M for the privilege isn't worth it...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, radoran said:

My main point is that Forsberg potting 30 doesn't move the needle for this team and that paying him $9.5M for the privilege isn't worth it...

So if you don't trade for a 30 goal scorer, how exactly do they plan on getting one?

It's widely aregued that they need dynamic offensive players, but any discussion of getting an established one, is shot to hell in heartbeat. Are they going to draft a player like this? Have they drafted a player like this? Giroux was the last dyanmic offensive player they drafted. Carter before that. I guess you can draft a guy and hope like hell he magically morphs into it. I just find that highly unlikely

7 minutes ago, CoachX said:

So if you don't trade for a 30 goal scorer, how exactly do they plan on getting one?

It's widely aregued that they need dynamic offensive players, but any discussion of getting an established one, is shot to hell in heartbeat. Are they going to draft a player like this? Have they drafted a player like this? Giroux was the last dyanmic offensive player they drafted. Carter before that. I guess you can draft a guy and hope like hell he magically morphs into it. I just find that highly unlikely

JVR was "a 30 goal scorer" when he was brought back.

I'm not against bringing in talent. I'm against overpaying for it. Forsberg at $9+M for seven years coming off an arguably unsustainable career year is not the deal I would make.

And for that matter we don't know if EITHER Forsberg or JG are even going to be available in a month...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, radoran said:

JVR was "a 30 goal scorer" when he was brought back.

I'm not against bringing in talent. I'm against overpaying for it. Forsberg at $9+M for seven years coming off an arguably unsustainable career year is not the deal I would make.

And for that matter we don't know if EITHER Forsberg or JG are even going to be available in a month...

JVR. Good point. How could I have forgotten about him 🤣

Maybe they should try over paying for the right talent

• Like 1

3 hours ago, radoran said:

Forsberg is overpaid and that does not mean we need to add another player on the roster that is very streaky and possibly won't reach his potential. This organization seems to go that route too often. 

As for how we get that 30+ goal scorer is wait and hope for the Farabee's to possibly reach that level and the others that are coming up in the future. That is what a rebuild is all about. Players that have been in the system for a few years and have exhibited to be streaky and I will give it to Konecny he has been good at times, but how long do you give him. Do we give him a raise like Forsberg and hope which would just add to the awful mistakes or try and trade him off? 

This team needs to start weeding out the baggage and start going with the future. I am not saying Konecny is old , but if we can get another young player or solid draft picks I say go that way. 

1 hour ago, Gritty Fanatic said:

Konecny had three more years on a deal and Farabee has six.

Neither of them is egregiously overpaid.

Like anyone, if the right deal comes along, you make it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

Konecny had three more years on a deal and Farabee has six.

Neither of them is egregiously overpaid.

Like anyone, if the right deal comes along, you make it.

Right now I think they get more in return for Konecny than they would get for Farabee. So I would be more inclined to keep Farabee and see what happens for a bit longer and shop Konecny and see what we get in offers. 

The one guy I would attempt to unload is Scott Laughton. He cannot be a part of the 2nd line next season or even the team at all. I really think that they need to move up Oskar Lindblom to the 2nd line as they are not utilizing his talents correctly. I understand they wanted to minimize his minutes last season, but stashing him on the bottom lines with his sort of talent is not the way to do it. 

Oskar Lindblom needs to move up and Scott Laughton needs to move the hell out. 

• Good Post 1

4 hours ago, CoachX said:

Maybe they should try over paying for the right talent

You mean like Johnny Hockey?  He of 115 points in his contract year. 49 points last year. 58 points the year before. I wonder which Johnny Hockey the Flyers would get with a $10 miilion per 7 year deal. Hmmm....I wonder.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Gritty Fanatic said:

Scott Laughton needs to move the hell out. 

Fletch thinks paying bottom six guys $3M is a solid way to build a hockey team.

Tampa's bottom six makes just over $6M - top player is $1.5M.

But Laughton's experience as a player who is totally content playing for an organization* that has been out of the first round once in his career is invaluable...

Edited by radoran