Free Agency

CoachX

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

But Laughton's experience as a player who is totally content playing for an organization* that has been out of the first round once in his career is invaluable...

Scott laughton is content doing just enough to maintain his status quo....he's jvr without the money, but has everyone fooled that he is more than that

A high priced FA like Johnny Hockey will not get this team to the playoffs. This team already has too many overpriced players, Hayes, JVR and  Ristolainen all three are overpaid for what they bring to the team, not to mention Ellis.

Fletcher needs to focus on bringing in mid tier FAs to build the core of this team.

As for your question, yes I think they could afford to bring in JG but it would take some major moves and I personally think it would be a mistake.

But hey, this is Fletcher we are talking about so...........

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Fizz said:

A high priced FA like Johnny Hockey will not get this team to the playoffs

Ever? Or just the first season? 

A player like that could, over let's say 5 years, help turn the team around

I dont know why everyone argues their POV from the "immediate results" strategy 🤔 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Oskar definitely needs to be on a higher line than the 4th line.  If he's not dealt, they need to find the skills that he showed before his cancer diagnoses.  And, he won't do that playing on this team's 4th line.

Laughton doesn't necessarily need to move the hell out.  Moving him could definitely help with their cap situation, as he's another player making FAR too much for what he actually is.  He is nothing more than a 4th line NHL center, and that's where he needs to play if he's not dealt.  And, he can't be that guy that moves up the lineup in the case of injury emergency.  He had the chance to prove he can succeed with that responsibility.  He failed when given those chances.  He's a 4th line NHL player who was given another ridiculous contract by Fletcher at a 3mil cap hit.  And, because of the player he is and that contract, he's probably not able to be moved.  Teams aren't knocking doors down for 3 mil 4th line players.  Especially ones that still have 4 years left at that cost.

I agree with you and if they can move Laughton and free up some money while possibly getting younger in the process with draft picks or whatever than I would do it. We all know he is making too much money for what he is providing to the team. This would also give the Flyers all the opportunity to let Lindblom play on the 2nd line where I think he belongs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoachX said:

I dont know why everyone argues their POV from the "immediate results" strategy 🤔 

IMO it's hard to rebuild a competitive team around one high priced star. Not saying he couldn't help the team down the road.

But then you end up with a player like Giroux on the down side of his career trying desperately to help a week-ish team to make a playoff run.

Again IMO you are better off spreading that money out to sign a few mid range FAs to build a core of decent hard working players. Then when the team is competitive game in and game out then go out and sigh your high end talent when the team is ready to win. This team is no where ready to win or take the last step.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fizz said:

Again IMO you are better off spreading that money out to sign a few mid range FAs to build a core of decent hard working players

Seems to me the team has been filled with an abundance of this type of player for a long time

I get what you are saying though.  

8 hours ago, CoachX said:

Picture Gaudreau 5 years from now, at 33 years old, already stuffed his bank with $50 million in Flyer fans hard earned cash, been hanging out with Kevin Lazy F***er Hayes, more than likely gone back to the 50-60 points per that he was before his contract year....you really think he's a motivating factor? I mean the team could  make the playoffs, since over half the league does that. It really isn't much of an accomplishment. They could make the playoffs without Johnny Hockey, or Kevin Hayes, Or Ristolainen. Overpaying players isn't exactly the winning formula. Fletchers been proving that for going on 12 seasons now. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gritty Fanatic said:

Oskar Lindblom needs to move up and Scott Laughton needs to move the hell out.

Caution my friend, you and I are in the minority here. SL is a precious protected commodity in this forum. He ranks right up there with precious Scottie Upshall, the Guitar Hero wizard

13 hours ago, FireDillabaugh said:

Laughton doesn't necessarily need to move the hell out.  Moving him could definitely help with their cap situation, as he's another player making FAR too much for what he actually is.  He is nothing more than a 4th line NHL center, and that's where he needs to play if he's not dealt.  And, he can't be that guy that moves up the lineup in the case of injury emergency.  He had the chance to prove he can succeed with that responsibility.  He failed when given those chances.  He's a 4th line NHL player who was given another ridiculous contract by Fletcher at a 3mil cap hit.  And, because of the player he is and that contract, he's probably not able to be moved.  Teams aren't knocking doors down for 3 mil 4th line players.  Especially ones that still have 4 years left at that cost.

Hey, we actually agree on something. Fully support this POV. Well done👏

7 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Caution my friend, you and I are in the minority here. SL is a precious protected commodity in this forum. He ranks right up there with precious Scottie Upshall, the Guitar Hero wizard

I think it's far from "SL is a precious protected commodity in this forum"

I think it's more like there are far worse contracts on this team dragging it down than Laughtons.

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Picture Gaudreau 5 years from now, at 33 years old, already stuffed his bank with $50 million in Flyer fans hard earned cash, been hanging out with Kevin Lazy F***er Hayes, more than likely gone back to the 50-60 points per that he was before his contract year....you really think he's a motivating factor? I mean the team could  make the playoffs, since over half the league does that. It really isn't much of an accomplishment. They could make the playoffs without Johnny Hockey, or Kevin Hayes, Or Ristolainen. Overpaying players isn't exactly the winning formula. Fletchers been proving that for going on 12 seasons now. 

Im well aware of how correct you are. Most likely this could be the scenario. Although, there is a possibility that he comes home to play for his favorite team, produces at a high level, and his pride pushes him to be an impact player. If I was him, winning a cup for the Flyers would be a life pinnacle. He could be a Patrick Kane instead of Hayes' mini me

To channel my inner Rad... it could happen, might not, probably wont, but is still possible, although not likely

Just now, flyercanuck said:

I think it's far from "SL is a precious protected commodity in this forum"

I think it's more like there are far worse contracts on this team dragging it down than Laughtons.

probably so, but might not be, could be possible.

There are worse contracts, but this one is easier to fix. You have to start somewhere. You can't start cleaning house by ignoring the floor needs to be vacuumed

7 minutes ago, CoachX said:

Im well aware of how correct you are. Most likely this could be the scenario. Although, there is a possibility that he comes home to play for his favorite team, produces at a high level, and his pride pushes him to be an impact player. If I was him, winning a cup for the Flyers would be a life pinnacle. He could be a Patrick Kane instead of Hayes' mini me

To channel my inner Rad... it could happen, might not, probably wont, but is still possible, although not likely

In my opinion (as you well know) the team just needs to stop trying to build around players just passing their prime...and use those type of players as an addition when you actually are going for it. As opposed to going for it even when you aren't any good.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoachX said:

probably so, but might not be, could be possible.

There are worse contracts, but this one is easier to fix. You have to start somewhere. You can't start cleaning house by ignoring the floor needs to be vacuumed

I'm pretty sure you could trade Laughton and actually get a pick or prospect for him. The guys I hate on would cost you to get rid of them. Use your hate more wisely my friend...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm pretty sure you could trade Laughton and actually get a pick or prospect for him. The guys I hate on would cost you to get rid of them. Use your hate more wisely my friend...

I have an overabundance of hate...plenty to go around :CelebratingSmiley2: Kinda like the idea of dealing with the bigger problem, while ignoring the small one. I can hate on SL without running out of vitriol for KH or RR. Plus, I am convinced, after my internal crusade against NAK, that my hate can influence the Flyers decisions, and SL's days are numbered

My hate isn't strong enough to get KH, RR, or FELTCH removed

Just now, CoachX said:

I have an overabundance of hate...plenty to go around :CelebratingSmiley2: Kinda like the idea of dealing with the bigger problem, while ignoring the small one. I can hate on SL without running out of vitriol for KH or RR. Plus, I am convinced, after my internal crusade against NAK, that my hate can influence the Flyers decisions, and SL's days are numbered

My hate isn't strong enough to get KH, RR, or FELTCH removed

Then you clearly need to channel your hate better. Because removing Laughton without removing Fletcher is just going to get you Minnesota Laughton at a bigger, longer price tag.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

In my opinion (as you well know) the team just needs to stop trying to build around players just passing their prime...and use those type of players as an addition when you actually are going for it. As opposed to going for it even when you aren't any good.

All BS aside, I agree with you. We've seen the Flyers do this time and again. Its annoying. The only difference between us, you think JG is past (passing) his prime, I think he is still in it, and will be for the next 5 years

Just now, flyercanuck said:

Then you clearly need to channel your hate better. Because removing Laughton without removing Fletcher is just going to get you Minnesota Laughton at a bigger, longer price tag.

But removing Laughton lessens my stress and gives me more reasons to consider watching games again

• Haha 1

Just now, CoachX said:

All BS aside, I agree with you. We've seen the Flyers do this time and again. Its annoying. The only difference between us, you think JG is past (passing) his prime, I think he is still in it, and will be for the next 5 years

Ok, but in his "prime" his previous 2 seasons, that weren't contract years, he collectively totalled the same amount of points as he did in this, his contract year.

Doesn't sound like a guy that takes games, or even seasons off, now does it? 

52 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Ok, but in his "prime" his previous 2 seasons, that weren't contract years, he collectively totalled the same amount of points as he did in this, his contract year.

Doesn't sound like a guy that takes games, or even seasons off, now does it? 

Yep, he could be that kind of guy. But maybe playing in Philly he takes things a little more to heart

of course, players can have down years too...... see Konecny

• Like 1

I don't recall any recent cup winners or finalists having any contractual value that resemble any of Hayes, Ellis, JVR, Atkinson, Laughton, Risto and even Couturier if his health is less than 100%. Until this mess is resolved there is zero reason to add any more declining asset pieces to the mix.

I get the shiny toy mentality and the local boy thing, but I ask, who is he going to play with that will get him any where near 70 points? Chucks cap crunch makes it unrealistic to set JG with linemates. I am still in the BITFU camp, and here i sit and wait to see what Chuckles does to set the franchise back even further.

The dysfunction in Flyerland needs to be wiped out. The let's strive to be mediocre mind set is disgusting, and they can't even pull that off.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, flyer4ever said:

Until this mess is resolved there is zero reason to add any more declining asset pieces to the mix.

What criteria are you using to justify "declining"

You could be correct that his production declines with no supporting cast. But what if he makes a rising player better?

23 minutes ago, CoachX said:

What criteria are you using to justify "declining"

You could be correct that his production declines with no supporting cast. But what if he makes a rising player better?

Which rising player would that be? Do we have one of those?

Giroux was trying to do that for 10 years.  How did that go?

I would love it if the Flyers were in a position to take on a shiny toy like JG, I would. I just don't see it being a positive stepping stone in the current mess that they are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

This may be true. But it's not a good contract...

Again, by himself, he is paid ~half what the Lightning pay their ENTIRE bottom six.

Laughton scored 30 points this year.

The Lightning bottom six? 143.

Laughton - sitting at home

Tampa - Eastern Conference Final

🤔

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

21 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Which rising player would that be? Do we have one of those?

Giroux was trying to do that for 10 years.  How did that go?

I would love it if the Flyers were in a position to take on a shiny toy like JG, I would. I just don't see it being a positive stepping stone in the current mess that they are.

Not sure. Frost, Brink, Konecny possibly. Maybe that Allison kid if he stays healthy and makes the team

As for Giroux, he was pretty damn effective early on. If we are discussing him as a negative, I would say we factor in a toxic locker room influenced by Voracek

You can't valuate everything in a vaccuum

• Like 1