2021-22 Stanley Cup Finals: Tampa Bay Lightning (Wales Champion) at Colorado Avalanche (Campbell Champion) - (COL WINS 4-2)

TBL vs COL  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Stanley Cup Champion: Beast of the East or Best of the West?

• 1-- Bolts in 4. Defending Champs blow the hype right the hell up and disappoint many Western fans, and irritate odds makers!
    • 2-- Bolts in 5. Series doesn't quite live up to the hype as TB makes short work of the Avs, only giving up one game due to Bolts' team bus running late...
    • 3-- Bolts in 6. Great series that sees a bit of everything, but the Lightning still show why they have been the best for the last three seasons...and why the Avs still need a bit more work.
    • 4-- Bolts in 7. Fantastic set that truly shows hockey can be a game of inches....and rulers and yardsticks favor the defending Champions who make it 3 in a row!
    • 5-- Avs in 4. Predators, Oilers....Lightning. Makes no difference to the powerful, hungry Avalanche. They sweep. New Champs.
    • 6-- Avs in 5. TB tries but finally finds a team that matches and exceeds them at every turn. Vasy steals a game, but that's it.
    • 7-- Avs in 6. Colorado grows by leaps n bounds even during this series, and dethrones the defending champions on their own ice!
    • 8-- Avs in 7. Epic set. New Champs crowned. Old Champs fall just shy of historical greatness. And all in front of the Denver home crowd!

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Bolts n Avs trade periods.....but Colorado's had two goals to TB's one.

Can the Avs finish this in the third?
Or do the Champs have another pushback in them?

I'll just predict the OT now. :beer:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nick Paul has looked really good this post season. 

He's playing through an injury too.

That's the kind of guy to open the checkbook for to keep in the bottom 6.

3 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

They need to settle down and be disciplined and play like the first period.

Agreed.

But also follow Stamkos' 1st intermission advice and, as a team, attack the net.
He said the Bolts are at their best when they are the ones pressuring, even as good as they can defend.

Kuemper tends to Kruemple if pressured just right.
Bolts have to find that pressure point on him again.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

Bolts look like they're burning out a bit. But I think TB's top line or Stamkos himself makes it interesting.
Av's are feeling it right now and will be running on adrenaline trying to end it now.

Just now, ClusterChuck said:

Bolts look like they're burning out a bit. But I think TB's top line or Stamkos himself makes it interesting.
Av's are feeling it right now and will be running on adrenaline trying to end it now.

It's times like this when a fresh set of fast legs like those of Brayden Point would sure come in handy.
Point is one of the few on the Bolts who can offer a MacKinnon-like experience for the Avalanche to have to deal with.

If the Bolts do lose, it could still be a rallying point for next year when a guy like Point comes back with a huge chip on his shoulder.

Obviously would like to see the Bolts scratch, claw, and grip their way to a win this year, but given the past three years of hockey this club has provided for me, and the fact they are still good enough to make a couple more runs moving forward, I as a fan,  cannot complain at all.

Would STILL like a third straight Cup though. ;) 

13 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

Bolts look like they're burning out a bit.

Agree.  More jump in Colorado right now.  Avs will still win (in 7) should Bolts eke out victory tonight (likely requiring a supreme effort.)

2 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Avs really have the Lightning pinned in their zone, at the moment.

I neglected to say earlier that the Lightning will likely also need some Hockey Gods Luck to pull this out of the fire.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

Avs are just pouring it on

To force game 7, we need TB to score, as soccer announcers would put it, “against the run of play.”

(“skate of play” ?!?)

I'm watching on a site with a chat room, and even for the internet, there are incredibly dumb takes on there. I swear, social media is the lead paint of modern times.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

I'm watching on a site with a chat room, and even for the internet, there are incredibly dumb takes on there. I swear, social media is the lead paint of modern times.

Ludicrous takes all over the place, JR.

Too many cement heads not realizing what the Bolts have accomplished...even if they do end up losing here to a fantastic Colorado team.
Some commentary about how the Bolts 'aren't competitive', 'have been lucky the last three years', or 'aren't real champions', just for examples, are downright stupid.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Ludicrous takes all over the place, JR.

Too many cement heads not realizing what the Bolts have accomplished...even if they do end up losing here to a fantastic Colorado team.
Some commentary about how the Bolts 'aren't competitive', 'have been lucky the last three years', or 'aren't real champions', just for examples, are downright stupid.

Yeah, that's a lot of what I've been seeing. "The Bolts won Mickey Mouse Cups during Covid!!!!" and such. I try not to spend time trying to win arguments with peoples whose opinions I don't respect, so I let it go, but it's such idiocy. It always irritates me to no end to see people who are bothered by their own lack of accomplishments that they need to crap on what people do, especially when they're doing it from the comfort of their own living room, and could very well be out of breath after walking up the stairs to the bathroom.

Edited by JR Ewing

Brandon Hagel is a player who, while I still like the trade the Lightning made for him, will need to do a bit of growing up in the off season and throughout the campaign next year.

He is eager, competitive, skilled....but subject to the very thing the Lightning have been taking advantage of in other teams' younger players: He gets ahead of himself, seems to let the big moments of situations get to him, and doesn't fully think about how to navigate tough situations like the opposition in his face, the grinding he faces, and the poor shots teams are HAPPY to give him because he isn't making his OWN better shot.

If he truly is worth that trade, this he will learn through experience.

Here we go, Lightning pull Vas. EN. Now they get an icing call and an extra attacker. Landeskog helped off the ice by Lehtkonen after he busts a skate. Wow. Insanity.

Edited by FD19372

Well, good for the Avs. I thought they were ready last year, but it took another season of... seasoning. IMO, this IS a dynasty for Tampa Bay, who had another great run.

• Like 2

Avs win the Cup!!!....I have no idea why the refs decided at the last minute, to not call the icing that would have put the puck back in the Lightning's offensive zone.

• Like 1

Wow.

Congrats to the Avalanche.
They beat the very best team in hockey the last three years running, making THEM, the top dogs now!

Proud of what the Lightning have done, and, they still can try again next season and probably the season after that. They are STILL that damned good.

But this night, this series, and this season, is all about the Colorado Avalanche, and I will just let them and their fans enjoy their time, as I said I will have NO EXCUSES for my boys, just like I am sure they have none for themselves.

All yours Colorado, you are now the kingpins, and have become The Hunted next season. 
Great season, great series, good luck in your Cup defense.

• Like 2