Wild Deadline Watch

Icechipper

18 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

This is essentially what Russo tweeted. For $74K they bought the 4th round pick from TOR. They also sent Pillar to TOR because they weren’t going to sign him. Too many young guys coming up, and they all can’t play in St. Paul. He also indirectly stated that while this may help St Louis, it will also help the Wild get a better first round pick this season, since St. Louis is heating up and very well could catch the Wild. Pretty much signals they are going to be sellers…

Could be another component to this:

Since the Blues are apparently doing a firesale of sorts, big name players, O'Reilly included, were being mentioned as possibly going to Western Conference teams.
Did the Wild involve themselves to ENSURE a player like O'Reilly went East instead of bolstering a possible Western opponent?

I guess only the parties involved know for sure.

Still don't like it very much for Minnesota though.
Helping the Blues and Leaves® just feels....dirty. :shifty: 

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Could be another component to this:

Since the Blues are apparently doing a firesale of sorts, big name players, O'Reilly included, were being mentioned as possibly going to Western Conference teams.
Did the Wild involve themselves to ENSURE a player like O'Reilly went East instead of bolstering a possible Western opponent?

I guess only the parties involved know for sure.

Still don't like it very much for Minnesota though.
Helping the Blues and Leaves® just feels....dirty. :shifty: 

I’m less happy about helping the Blues ( the Leafs will find a way to implode in the playoffs), but with the cap situation the Wild put themselves in, beggars can’t be choosers…

1 minute ago, IllaZilla said:

I’m less happy about helping the Blues ( the Leafs will find a way to implode in the playoffs), but with the cap situation the Wild put themselves in, beggars can’t be choosers…

With any luck, the Lightning (Toronto's likely 1st round opponent) will help the Leaves® implode very nicely. :) 

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

This is essentially what Russo tweeted. For $74K they bought the 4th round pick from TOR. They also sent Pillar to TOR because they weren’t going to sign him. Too many young guys coming up, and they all can’t play in St. Paul. He also indirectly stated that while this may help St Louis, it will also help the Wild get a better first round pick this season, since St. Louis is heating up and very well could catch the Wild. Pretty much signals they are going to be sellers…

But why not ask for something from St. Louis too?  Effectively the Wild helped both Toronto AND St. Louis.  The deal doesn't happen without the Wild help, we should've leveraged them both even if it was a mid-round pick a few years down the road.  That would seem like the LEAST they could've done.  

5 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

But why not ask for something from St. Louis too?  Effectively the Wild helped both Toronto AND St. Louis.  The deal doesn't happen without the Wild help, we should've leveraged them both even if it was a mid-round pick a few years down the road.  That would seem like the LEAST they could've done.  

Hopefully that's what is yet to come. Hopefully one or both of those teams will take back some of our dead weight in separate deals. 

7 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Maybe they did and St Louis said no. Who knows. At least we know the Wild are going to be sellers. It beats the BS of “we’re only a tweak away from a Cup run”. They still have $10M in cap space to “weaponize” so we’ll see what happens closer to the deadline…

• Like 1

10 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

Maybe they did and St Louis said no. Who knows. At least we know the Wild are going to be sellers. It beats the BS of “we’re only a tweak away from a Cup run”. They still have $10M in cap space to “weaponize” so we’ll see what happens closer to the deadline…

(shrugs)  We'll see how much of a weapon they make it or if we just give it away for a bunch of late round selections in drafts from a few years from now.  

I saw an Athletic article on the weaponizing of cap space because they talked about how that's pretty much been Arizona's role for years.  Especially with dead contracts since they now just acquired Shea Weber's dead money.  Insurance effectively pays for much of it so it just allows that franchise to spend less and less.  

But from what I saw...a 4th or 5th round pick was kind of the going rate for helping teams out with cap space.  So NHL bookie teams don't really rake in much at least if history has anything to say about it.  

1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I saw an Athletic article on the weaponizing of cap space because they talked about how that's pretty much been Arizona's role for years.  Especially with dead contracts since they now just acquired Shea Weber's dead money.  Insurance effectively pays for much of it so it just allows that franchise to spend less and less.  

But from what I saw...a 4th or 5th round pick was kind of the going rate for helping teams out with cap space.  So NHL bookie teams don't really rake in much at least if history has anything to say about it.  

I'm surprised the league is allowing this to go on. Especially the way they went out of their way to punish the Wild for the Wonder Twins contracts. 

But I suppose since Bettman is determined to keep the Coyotes in Arizona come hell or highwater, he's going to allow it...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IllaZilla said:

I'm surprised the league is allowing this to go on. Especially the way they went out of their way to punish the Wild for the Wonder Twins contracts. 

But I suppose since Bettman is determined to keep the Coyotes in Arizona come hell or highwater, he's going to allow it...

Had those contracts been with a 'warmer' climate team, I doubt they'd have laid down the law on those like they did to us.
I don't get too deep into trade details normally but aside from the Coyotes, Does this "Banking" happen that often or is it a new trick?

Also, I think dealing Greenway somehow is a possibility given his contract isn't that bad, But getting something for Dumba has to be a herculean effort.
Some GM out there has to owe BG a favor. 😏
Unless a team loses a D-man in the next week and they're desperate for an experienced D heading into the PO's, I can't see how we can get anyone to bite.
Is it possible that a very rare occurence that we end up letting Dumba walk at the end of this season with getting nothing for him?
Worst case scenario ofc.

Edited by ClusterChuck

2 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

Had those contracts been with a 'warmer' climate team, I doubt they'd have laid down the law on those like they did to us.
I don't get too deep into trade details normally but aside from the Coyotes, Does this "Banking" happen that often or is it a new trick?

Also, I think dealing Greenway somehow is a possibility given his contract isn't that bad, But getting something for Dumba has to be a herculean effort.
Some GM out there has to owe BG a favor. 😏
Unless a team loses a D-man in the next week and they're desperate for an experienced D heading into the PO's, I can't see how we can get anyone to bite.
Is it possible that a very rare occurence that we end up letting Dumba walk at the end of this season with getting nothing for him?
Worst case scenario ofc.

I think the "banking" thing might be new, but teams retaining salary has been going on for a while.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Wild don't do a whole lot at the deadline. They're not out of it, but there isn't one player out there they could add that will push them over the top. And yeah, it will suck losing Dumba for nothing, but with his play over the last couple of seasons, I don't think they'd get much for him anyways. And I know something is better than nothing, but how many 4th round picks do you need?

• Like 2

The team can only bank one more time with the cap space it has according to league rules.  Still, it seems like the Wild have managed the cap well enough to give them the room to afford a rental if they want to.  The real question is what else will it cost, because the cap space question doesn't seem to be a problem for this team if it wants to take a swing at a rental player.  

10 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

The team can only bank one more time with the cap space it has according to league rules.  Still, it seems like the Wild have managed the cap well enough to give them the room to afford a rental if they want to.  The real question is what else will it cost, because the cap space question doesn't seem to be a problem for this team if it wants to take a swing at a rental player.  

Well, it sounds like BG is open to doing something at the deadline because of the 4-2-1 homestand. Maybe he can flip one of the late round picks he keeps compiling to get a player.

I still don't think this team will do anything in the Playoffs. The scoring isn't there, the defense scares no one, and you just know Evason is going to anoint Fleury the playoff goaltender...

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

Well, it sounds like BG is open to doing something at the deadline because of the 4-2-1 homestand. Maybe he can flip one of the late round picks he keeps compiling to get a player.

I still don't think this team will do anything in the Playoffs. The scoring isn't there, the defense scares no one, and you just know Evason is going to anoint Fleury the playoff goaltender...

If he does do something I doubt it will be a rental. I think it will be a good long term pickup.

Personaly I agree this team will make the playoffs and at best lose in 7 games.

This team still has too many holes to fill.

I would like to see them sell off some players that don't appear to NHL caliber.