Game 59: Philadelphia Flyers at Edmonton Oilers; 2/21/23 @ 9 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Greetings:

I am seeing the O and B as underdogs (+150) despite beating Edmonoton on February 9th:

https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/nhl/2-21-2023/philadelphia-flyers-vs-edmonton-oilers-prediction-4764/

We can't let Edmonton get too many PP chances:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-edm/2023/02/21/2022020916

There are lots of moving parts--back-to-back, TK's probable absence, but a win in Calgary.   

Wow so that’s Twitter … like an open sewer…lol. 

I hope Sanheim is in the lineup tonight and starts snapping out of the funk.

What about Farabee? I understand sending a message so sticking him on the 4th line to start the game…ok fine. But 3:52 of ice time the rest of the way makes it hard to show the coach you “get it.”

Meanwhile no word on Konecny. I’ll be surprised if he plays tonight. The way he skated off cradling his arm did not look good at all.

Greetings:

No TK.  Take a gander at the fourth line:

https://www.nhl.com/news/philadelphia-flyers-edmonton-oilers-game-preview/c-341336784?game_pk=2022020916

Well, if you reward results, putting Deslaurier on the third line makes sense....but that's a comment on this team's talent deficit.  Sheesh.  

10 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

No TK.  Take a gander at the fourth line:

https://www.nhl.com/news/philadelphia-flyers-edmonton-oilers-game-preview/c-341336784?game_pk=2022020916

Well, if you reward results, putting Deslaurier on the third line makes sense....but that's a comment on this team's talent deficit.  Sheesh.  

Sanheim is scratched again? Maybe he is being traded before that ridiculous contract kicks in. 

First time all year I’m wondering what the hell Tortorella is doing. Scratching Sanheim again, Farabee on the 4th line again? Why because they squeaked out a win last night with that lineup? Whatever…

edit: Tortorella has Sanheim back in and Farabee is on the 3rd line. Unfortunately Farabee got his stick up on somebody down low and the Oilers scored off the first draw on the PP. Bad luck for Farabee, not good when you're already in the doghouse...

Edited by GratefulFlyers

They are working hard and showing some offensive skill.  Tippett will hit 20 this year and be a mainstay.  I wish we had one or two more like him.  On the other hand, Farabee hasn't shown much of anything.  Let's hear it for Ollie.  

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

First time all year I’m wondering what the hell Tortorella is doing. Scratching Sanheim again, Farabee on the 4th line again? Why because they squeaked out a win last night with that lineup? Whatever…

edit: Tortorella has Sanheim back in and Farabee is on the 3rd line. Unfortunately Farabee got his stick up on somebody down low and the Oilers scored off the first draw on the PP. Bad luck for Farabee, not good when you're already in the doghouse...

Should have sat Sanheim again another bad game

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Star gazing.

9 hours ago, Howie58 said:

They are working hard and showing some offensive skill.  Tippett will hit 20 this year and be a mainstay.  I wish we had one or two more like him.  On the other hand, Farabee hasn't shown much of anything.  Let's hear it for Ollie.  

Farabee didn't have enough time this offseason to work on his body after surgery and it is showing big time.

He'll bounce back next season.

• Like 2

Ya the effort was there but the execution was poor, especially after the 1st. I lost count of the turnovers off bad passes. Too bad because that was a winnable game. The Flyers should've buried them in the 2nd but they left the door open for McDavid to take over in the 3rd and that's exactly what he did.

This was the Flyers 3rd game in four nights, and the second-half of a back-to-back. The dreaded Scheduled Loss... I thought they played a structured and disciplined game and then just ran out of gas by the 3rd period. Philly got tired, a step behind, and then the penalties happen, and this group of Oilers is literally the worst team in history to have that happen against.

15 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Tortorella has Sanheim

Maybe I'm too old but at some point we have to stop coddling the kids.

They are men.

If you expect them to act like men then you have to treat them like men.

Sure wish they were easier on us in bootcamp....NOT!

2 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

This was the Flyers 3rd game in four nights, and the second-half of a back-to-back. The dreaded Scheduled Loss... I thought they played a structured and disciplined game and then just ran out of gas by the 3rd period. Philly got tired, a step behind, and then the penalties happen, and this group of Oilers is literally the worst team in history to have that happen against.

Spot on - the fatigue factor - I forgot all about that. Most of the TOs were mental mistakes, the penalties too. And they were costly.

I might add a friendly amendment--talent + fatigue.  If the team has high energy, it can compete with a higher-caliber team.  Once the energy lags, that's tough.  

The whole affair got silly + sloppy.  The turnovers were almost laughable.  I thought they were intentional.  Torts has done a lot to build camaraderie.  But that can only go so far.  Heck, when you have a 6-4 skate advantage and look like you're the shorthanded team, it is tough. 

Let's get the trade crap over with and figure out how the lines look for the last 20+ games.  I don't know what to say with Farabee and Sandheim.   

• Like 1