TRADE: Flyers trade Ratcliffe to Nashville

mkscrewy

4 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

Ratcliffe actually played really well in his ten game callup last year.  He got four points, laid some big hits out and looked good on the forecheck. I don't know how he couldn't even make it as a fourth line guy in the AHL.

That’s how I remember it too. He played okay, I don’t recall any glaring mistakes. What happened in Lehigh? I guess we’ll never know.

Instead of a knock on Hextall for picking him it’s another instance of the Flyers failing to help a young player develop. Ratcliffe showed enough promise to get picked 35th. I doubt the entire scout team was deceived. In other words there was something there in addition to his size. Granted success in Juniors is no guarantee but he scored a fair bit and he could skate. Maybe the Flyers, bc he’s big, tried to make him into something he’s not I don’t know. I do know you don’t suddenly lose your hands or your wheels when you make it to the A or the NHL.

I’m not laying all the blame on the Flyers of course. But it does seem to happen a lot. Player development doesn’t seem to be one of the organization’s fortes. 

Edited by GratefulFlyers

27 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

That’s how I remember it too. He played okay, I don’t recall any glaring mistakes. What happened in Lehigh? I guess we’ll never know.

Instead of a knock on Hextall for picking him it’s another instance of the Flyers failing to help a young player develop. Ratcliffe showed enough promise to get picked 35th. I doubt the entire scout team was deceived. In other words there was something there in addition to his size. Granted success in Juniors is no guarantee but he scored a fair bit and he could skate. Maybe the Flyers, bc he’s big, tried to make him into something he’s not I don’t know. I do know you don’t suddenly lose your hands or your wheels when you make it to the A or the NHL.

I’m not laying all the blame on the Flyers of course. But it does seem to happen a lot. Player development doesn’t seem to be one of the organization’s fortes. 

He was ranked as a low 1st round talent going into the draft. But he never really put on any weight or improved his skating, both of which he needed to take the next step. 

Pretty sure Nashville just wants bodies to play out the year (and maybe next) as they are planning a complete overhaul and tear down. Trotz is going to be given a ground up rebuild in his image. 

I expect the return here is absolutely nothing. So, even trade. 

@OccamsRazor

Three more years after this. Three more years.

And these other teams "looking for help at 2C" from a guy who was bounced from the last team that was "looking for help at 2C," bounced from the team that had him as a 2C before that, was dropped of his center duties by the current coach, and has been a healthy scratch this season despite "leading the team" in scoring.

That's NHL logic right there.

How ever did they get themselves into this mess?

🤔

• Uggh... 1

Lets see he checks all the boxes

Minnesota...check

Big galoot.....check

Overpaid....check

Minnesota...double check

Underachiever....check 

Lacks hockey sense....check

Extra years on bad contract...check

Approved ability by Homer to start throwing in 2nd rounders from the 2030s...check

Sounds like a done deal.

• Like 3
  • Uggh... 1

10 hours ago, radoran said:

@OccamsRazor

Three more years after this. Three more years.

And these other teams "looking for help at 2C" from a guy who was bounced from the last team that was "looking for help at 2C," bounced from the team that had him as a 2C before that, was dropped of his center duties by the current coach, and has been a healthy scratch this season despite "leading the team" in scoring.

That's NHL logic right there.

How ever did they get themselves into this mess?

🤔

I can't imagine the "interest in Hayes" is legitimate. @radoran did a quick overview - looking at that, who besides Fletcher can pretend this guy will help you in the POs? We all know GMs tend to get silly around the TD but Hayes at $7.1mil for 3 more years is beyond silly it's criminal.

So the Flyers retain salary and hopefully somebody bites. But does that mean whatever they retain counts against the Flyers' cap for the life of the contract?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I can't imagine the "interest in Hayes" is legitimate. @radoran did a quick overview - looking at that, who besides Fletcher can pretend this guy will help you in the POs? We all know GMs tend to get silly around the TD but Hayes at $7.1mil for 3 more years is beyond silly it's criminal.

So the Flyers retain salary and hopefully somebody bites. But does that mean whatever they retain counts against the Flyers' cap for the life of the contract?

I think it is a given they will have to pick up some salary for this to even be considered.

I'd offer to pick up half just to move on.

18 hours ago, Digityman said:

You lost me at D-man  :) 

Lost myself too! Ugh this Flyers team...I can't even remember who's who anymore.

Well maybe something good will happen for the Flyers before the TD. A couple more days. But if it does it'll be by accident. 

Edited by GratefulFlyers

20 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I forget how it works - and I really don't want to wade into the CBA ... the Flyers retain salary and ?? it counts against the cap?

Yes it counts against our cap. Its why these FA contracts are so friggin' stupid....almost every one ends up in giving up something to rid us of it, just so we can sign another one. 

• Uggh... 1

21 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I forget how it works - and I really don't want to wade into the CBA ... the Flyers retain salary and ?? it counts against the cap?

Yeah it counts against the Cao.

The max is picking up 50%.

And they have to eat the other half.

I look at it as free up a roster spot and 3.5 mill in cap space to use elsewhere and the best part is we don't have to watch Hayes in Orange and Black anymore.

That is a win for me.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I look at it as free up a roster spot and 3.5 mill in cap space to use elsewhere and the best part is we don't have to watch Hayes in Orange and Black anymore.

That is a win for me.

I gueeeesss…. I mean you’re right that’s the only way to look at it. But JHC @flyercanuck is right too, contracts like Hayes’ are just so damn stupid. Any fool could see he’s never been worth anything close to $7mil. But this dipshit of a GM locks him up for 7 years. Unreal.

• Uggh... 1

9 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I gueeeesss…. I mean you’re right that’s the only way to look at it. But JHC @flyercanuck is right too, contracts like Hayes’ are just so damn stupid. Any fool could see he’s never been worth anything close to $7mil. But this dipshit of a GM locks him up for 7 years. Unreal.

I'm all for getting rid of Hayes. And Ristolainen. And Ellis. And Atkinson. And anyone else Fletcher brought in. I don't even care if we have to eat half of every single one of their salaries, because then ownership can see what an imbecile this guy is. 

The problem is, what Fletcher does with the now freed up capspace...cause you just know it'll be more of the same.

36 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

cause you just know it'll be more of the same.

Yes it will. Why wouldn’t it? No evidence yet that they’ll ever change course and start over. That’s why there’s no sense in trading someone like TK for example, a guy who’d net a solid return of picks/prospects. The Flyers aren’t interested in developing picks/prospects.

But that leaves them in the situation they’re in now, where it makes no sense to keep TK either. For what? So he can become the next Giroux, a great player who does everything well, his only knock that he can’t carry an entire team on his back? 

I doubt Fletcher trades Hayes anyway. We’ll be lucky if he gets something for JVR and Braun. 

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1