Game 73: Montreal Canadiens at Philadelphia Flyers; 3/28/23 @ 7 PM

Howie58

10 minutes ago, CoachX said:

I remember. That was that time you disagreed with me

Ok i confess but don't tell anyone else.

It was the one time i said a long time ago that Paul Holmgren hire as GM could never go wrong!!!

8 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

We won't suck as bad but we won't be legit contenders either. We are thin at center, defense and left wing we also do not have any elite players as compared to other real contenders..The only way you get a real gamer is by bottoming out for a few years and also being lucky I'm the draft. As we gradually improve and pick 10th-15th you are not gonna get any players that are better than guys like Farabee or Provorov or what we have now. If you keep giving out huge contracts to older guys like we always do, then you won't be able to sign any high caliber UFAs if they become available. We are stuck with Hayes, Risto,Coots, Alkinson and Ellis big contracts for the next 3-7 years,  how are you supposed to build a team with that cap? As soon as we free up some space we will have to increase Hart, Provy and TK and your right back where you started.

The vicious cycle you see only takes place if they continue down the same path as before. We have a new GM so you kind of have to give him the benefit of a doubt that he will do things differently. I don't know how fast he can do the subtraction required, but I think he will try and I think he will get rid of some of it. 

We are solid in goal, and that's a starting point. We might even have an extra goalie to trade for picks/prospects.

Picking 10-15 might not land us instant superstars, but there's no reason to think we can't land 20 goal scorers or tough defenders. The team D concept Torts has created is also a solid starting point and as you add talent to that you can keep an upward trajectory. 

Will we win the cup in the next 5 years? Highly unlikely. Can we make the playoffs and maybe pull an upset or two? Absolutely. 

30 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

We have a new GM so you kind of have to give him the benefit of a doubt that he will do things differently.

Yes but we’ve been down this road before with a new GM. If it was just that, Briere or no Briere I’d be extremely skeptical of any real change in “strategy” from the Flyers.

The reason why it’s different this time is the shakeup in the upper management with Dave Scott retiring/getting fired or whatever happened with him, the hiring of the new guy Hilferty (whatever his name is) and most important of all the way the senior advisors were referred to publicly by the new GM. Briere’s an interim GM and yet he refused to automatically bow and genuflect to the legendary Broad Street Bullies when asked directly what their role will be. That speaks volumes.

I hope I’m interpreting Briere’s statement correctly. I hope it really is what it appears to be: an unmistakable sign that the senior advisors days of pulling the strings are finally over.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The reason why it’s different this time is the shakeup in the upper management with Dave Scott retiring/getting fired or whatever happened with him, the hiring of the new guy Hilferty (whatever his name is) and most important of all the way the senior advisors were referred to publicly by the new GM.

I wonder why. Oh yeah what took so damn long......

DearUnpleasantIrishsetter-size_restricted.gif.8ea64df246689eca944ffddec64df4b6.gif