If available, should the Flyers draft Matvei Michkov, C (Sochi, KHL)?

pilldoc

If available, should the Flyers draft Matvei Michkov, C (Sochi, KHL)?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. If available, should the Flyers draft Matvei Michkov, C (Sochi, KHL)?

• Yes
    • No... select another player
    • No ..find a trade partner and trade down to potentially get more picks

I'm bored so what the hell.  Saw some discussions in the other thread and decided it deserved its own thread ....

Title of thread says it all ......  If available, should the Flyers draft Matvei Michkov, C (Sochi, KHL)?

I can see valid points on both sides of this discussions ....

Does it matter where the Flyers are picking?  Obviously if the Flyers win the lottery and are picking #1 or #2 the picks will will be either Bedard or Fantilli.  Even if everything falls their way, the best position they could pick without winning the lottery is 5th.  (3rd and 4th are out). 

So what if the Flyers are picking #5 do you select Michov if available?

So what if the Flyers are picking #6 do you select Michov if available?

So what if the Flyers are picking #7 do you select Michov if available?

So what if the Flyers are picking #8 do you select Michov if available?

If Michov is available at #7/#8 that means he is dropping because of his Russian heritage and KHL contract.  If the Flyers are picking #5/#6 I would see who else is available and weigh heavily vs. selecting Michov.  If the Flyers are picking #7/#8 and he is available, the higher end Top Tier prospects might not be there and selecting Michov might not be a bad option.  Of course the other option is trading back, but I personally would rather not.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

I'm bored so what the hell.  Saw some discussions in the other thread and decided it deserved its own thread ....

Title of thread says it all ......  If available, should the Flyers draft Matvei Michkov, C (Sochi, KHL)?

I can see valid points on both sides of this discussions ....

Does it matter where the Flyers are picking?  Obviously if the Flyers win the lottery and are picking #1 or #2 the picks will will be either Bedard or Fantilli.  Even if everything falls their way, the best position they could pick without winning the lottery is 5th.  (3rd and 4th are out). 

So what if the Flyers are picking #5 do you select Michov if available?

So what if the Flyers are picking #6 do you select Michov if available?

So what if the Flyers are picking #7 do you select Michov if available?

So what if the Flyers are picking #8 do you select Michov if available?

If Michov is available at #7/#8 that means he is dropping because of his Russian heritage and KHL contract.  If the Flyers are picking #5/#6 I would see who else is available and weigh heavily vs. selecting Michov.  If the Flyers are picking #7/#8 and he is available, the higher end Top Tier prospects might not be there and selecting Michov might not be a bad option.  Of course the other option is trading back, but I personally would rather not.

Thoughts?

If he doesn't get drafted at least 3rd, whoever doesn't outside of Bedard will regret it for 20 years

• Like 3

I’d stay away from Russian players for now. Fedotov is serving in the Russian army now I think but who knows.

Meanwhile Michov’s father was recently found dead in a pond near their house. No details, it was reported about a week ago by a Russian news outlet called Sports Express.

• Like 1

Best prospect since Ovechkin they say.

If he's there if the Flyers pick 5 they're stupid not to take him.

I think, I would take Fantilli and Carlsson over him if the Flyers somehow manage to weasel into the top 3.

But that's it. 

I would definitely want an insurance pick later in the draft though.

We'll see if Provorov or Konecny can bring one of them back.

1 hour ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

If he doesn't get drafted at least 3rd, whoever doesn't outside of Bedard will regret it for 20 years

I hear he has world class skill, how is his motivation? We don’t want another Alexi Kovalev, a guy with high end skill who only showed up when he felt like it.

5 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

I hear he has world class skill, how is his motivation? We don’t want another Alexi Kovalev, a guy with high end skill who only showed up when he felt like it.

I like what i see in the little I have seen. I wish he played at this years world juniors, but alas. im just happy i got to sit in the Zamboni pit for Canada's gold medal win lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I think, I would take Fantilli and Carlsson over him if the Flyers somehow manage to weasel into the top 3

Flyers can't get to #3 or #4.  They win the lottery at #1/#2 or at best, if things go their way, #5.  However for that to happen Arizona must win their last game vs. Vancouver AND Montreal MUST win their last 2 games vs. the Bruins and Islanders AND the Flyers MUST lose both to the Blue Jackets and Blackhawks.  Honestly I don't see any of that happening.

image.png.270440c7965a3566a873775cab29fafd.png

I think what we see is what we get ....  I think the Flyers will be picking 7 or 8 (if one of the teams behind them wins the lottery).  If that is the case then the players I believe the Flyers will be choosing from will be Moore / Leonard / Dvorsky.  Frankly if Michkov drops to #7 (I don't think he does), then I think it would be a mistake to take one of those 3 over Michkov.  It will be several years anyway before the Flyers will be challenging anyone in this division.  IMHO, I think they could draft Miochkov and let him play in the KHL until at his contract is over and then bring him over. 

However, like I said, realistically I believe they select one of either Moore / Leonard / Dvorsky.

image.png.9887f594e66ddce3304f63eb40949480.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I’d stay away from Russian players for now. Fedotov is serving in the Russian army now I think but who knows.

I agree the last good Russian they had was sadly killed by a boat. Since then been bad luck. See Bryzgalov.

Maybe it has something to do with the broad street bullies whipping up on the Russians back in the 70's who knows....mad mojo.

Blues have 2 first round picks maybe you can get the Blues 1st round picks for him if he is sitting there and the Flyers don't want him.

Ah wishful thinking....

27 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Why is Michkov expected to drop in the draft? 

Just say no Flyers. Nothing against the player but his nationality is problematic and it won’t be easing up anytime soon. 

you answered your own question.

It's 100% because he's under KHL contract until 2026/27 and Russia is not an awesome place to be a human right now.

That's it, that's why he's projected to drop.

Nothing to do with the player.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Ah okay thanks so that's the sticking point...I thought maybe everyone was still pretending it's business as usual.

You hit the nail on the head.

Nothing personal against the kid but to give the Russians a chance to eff over the Americans much less the hated Flyers no chance.

He could be closer to the next Zherdev than Oven-chicken anyways hard pass.

At the end of the day this is a business investment.