NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Carolina (M1) vs. New York Islanders (WC1) - (Carolina wins series 4-2)

pilldoc

NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Carolina (M1) vs. New York Islanders (WC1)  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Series?

• Hurricanes sweep in 4
    • Hurricanes in 5
    • Hurricanes in 6*
    • Hurricanes in 7
    • Islanders sweep in 4
    • Islanders in 5
    • Islanders in 6
    • Islanders in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

Man...Islanders are skating right with the Canes, but Carolina is just a hair, just a step, just a smidge, ahead of NY.

They have put together a 2-0 lead, and while normally, that isn't insurmountable, the way the Canes lock stuff down, combined with the Islander inability to score in bunches, it might look like 4-0 to NY at the moment!

2 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

might look like 4-0 to NY at the moment!

May well be the case.  Psychologically speaking.

If only the Cats and Isles could summon victories in these Day Three early tilts.  If so, it would, incredibly, be eight straight playoff games with the higher-numbered seed pulling off the ‘upset’ on the road.

Well now!
Erasing the lead...impressive feat getting two in a period against the Canes.

But 20 minutes to go.
Did that "two goal outburst" take everything out of the Islanders?
Or do they have some fuel left in the tank to not only prevent anymore Hurricane goals, but to put at least one more past Raanta?

We will see...

39 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

HUGE hole the Islanders find themselves in.

Yeah, come back to lead after down 0-2, only to surrender it with 8 minutes left.  Then lose in OT.

Wrenching loss.  Do they have the will and resilience to win twice on the Island?

Edited by SaucyJack

1 hour ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

HUGE hole the Islanders find themselves in.
Losing 4-3 in OT, down 0-2....the only silver lining is, they are going to the friendly confines of home for Game 3

Edited by OccamsRazor

NHL needs to look at this game, looks like a lot of favoring going on here, 6 powerplay to 0 ,2 4 min powerplays ,and the refs did nit even see the high stick till they looked at the tablet after the 30 seconds of the play in the other end,then they miss the hight stick call that lead to the ot goal and no review on that ,even though mayfield was down on the ice, pure B.S this game was.

• Sad 1

• pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Carolina (M1) vs. New York Islanders (WC1) - (Carolina leads 2-0)
2 hours ago, musky said:

NHL needs to look at this game, looks like a lot of favoring going on here, 6 powerplay to 0 ,2 4 min powerplays ,and the refs did nit even see the high stick till they looked at the tablet after the 30 seconds of the play in the other end,then they miss the hight stick call that lead to the ot goal and no review on that ,even though mayfield was down on the ice, pure B.S this game was.

I don't know about any "favoring" going on (if the league WERE to favor a team here, I would think they'd want the NY market over the Raleigh one, but I digress), but, I WILL SAY, that missed high stick that started the events that lead to the OT goal for Carolina was quite foul!

I watched most of this game, and felt the game was being called alright....both teams got away with stuff here and there, but didn't watch the end because at that point, I had switched over to Min-Dal.
But when I saw the post game of this one, and saw that non call on the high stick, shortly followed by a Carolina OT winner, my first thought was, "Islander fans should be FURIOUS!"
And really, that should be embarrassing for the league as well...at ANY time, but especially during this time of the year.

I called for the upset special here with the Isles in 6, but man, they sure aren't looking like they are gonna pull off a series win....much less a win in six....and non calls like what ended the game certainly don't help.

• Haha 1

On 4/15/2023 at 1:26 PM, Samifan said:

Pulling for the Canes since I am a local now. Also as someone on this forum has pointed out multiple times, the Islanders are frauds and it really should be the Sabres in that playoff spot. 

Thanks Kevyn Adams!! :NinjaLookLeftRight1::bigteeth:

Well its the truth.  That crybaby bitch ass coach of the Isles is pathetic

• pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Carolina (M1) vs. New York Islanders (WC1) - (Carolina leads 2-1)

What was starting to look like a Carolina squashing of the NY Islanders has finally turned into a series.
Isles have an opportunity now to tie this series in front of their home crowd and reduce the set to a best of 3.

I thought the Islanders had the chops to upset the heavily favored Hurricanes, and after that Game 3 win, they MIGHT have finally picked up the confidence to do so.
Sorokin has played pretty well for the Isles, but I think their scorers need to be a bit more opportunistic, and discipline (I.E. stay the ^%$# out of the penalty box) must be at a premium.

Of course, NY can't stray too much from who they are...that is to say, a tough hitting, tightly defensive, and even agitating team....but they must do it in a way that doesn't afford Carolina any extra opportunities on the PP.

Carolina being VERY efficient on their PP.
NY needed to stay out of the box, they didn't (that Parise penalty for goalie interference was BS IMO..he was pushed), but that boarding penalty taken by Pulock (legit penalty) compounded problems.

Canes get a 5 on 3, they score before the Parise penalty expires, and now have a run at NY for the Pulock one.

As I finish this, NY gets slashed, wipes out the remainder of the CAR PP, 4 on 4, then followed by a NY PP.
Refs are taking too much of a starring role here....if you are the Islanders, you DON'T want the game left in their hands!

Down 3-0 in Game Four after 2, and down 2-1 in the series…well…put it this way…

…Islanders find themselves up S&@% Creek…but they do have paddles…it’s gonna be messy and stinky (and no doubt, disgusting) but not impossible to oar themselves out of this horrid stream.

Remember Winnipeg’s 3rd period yesterday.

Edited by SaucyJack

13 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

Down 3-0 in Game Four after 2, and down 2-1 in the series…well…put it this way…

…Islanders find themselves up S&@% Creek…but they do have paddles…it’s gonna be messy and stinky (and no doubt, disgusting) but not impossible to oar themselves out of this horrid stream.

Remember Winnipeg’s 3rd period yesterday.

Yep. I remember the Jets.

Unfortunately for NY though, I think Carolina is better at shutting things down than the Knights, AND, the Jets, when they feel like it, have more firepower to make a comeback than the Islanders.
I think your initial Rand McNally assertion of being up the feces waterway was accurate....

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26

What a killer giving up that 4th goal to start the 3rd… 3-1 feels so much more in reach than 4-1. Plenty of time left but the Isles need to get their PP going. Now that they’re skating with some purpose and urgency - unlike the first 40 - they should draw at least one before time expires.

Hurricanes have the proverbial stranglehold on the series?

Did anyone EVER really strangle anyone else in the proverbs?
Meh, oh well....

Anyways, yea, Canes, heavy favorites, though I picked them to be upset by the Islanders, are looking firmly in control of the series, and it is going to take monster efforts FOR THE NEXT THREE games for the Islanders to even have a shot to turn this around.