NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Carolina (M1) vs. New York Islanders (WC1) - (Carolina wins series 4-2)

pilldoc

NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Carolina (M1) vs. New York Islanders (WC1)  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Series?

• Hurricanes sweep in 4
    • Hurricanes in 5
    • Hurricanes in 6*
    • Hurricanes in 7
    • Islanders sweep in 4
    • Islanders in 5
    • Islanders in 6
    • Islanders in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

Schedule TBD

All discussion here

Game 1: | Monday, April 17, 7 p.m. | at CAR | TV: ESPN2
Game 2: | Wednesday, April 19, 7 p.m. | at CAR | TV: ESPN2
Game 3: | Friday, April 21, 7 p.m. | at NYI | TV: TBS
Game 4: | Sunday, April 23, 1 p.m. | at NYI | TV: TNT
Game 5*: | Tuesday, April 25, TBD | at CAR | TV: TBD
Game 6*: | Friday, April 28, TBD | at NYI | TV: TBD
Game 7*: | Sunday, April 30, TBD | at CAR | TV: TBD

Edited by pilldoc

Pulling for the Canes since I am a local now. Also as someone on this forum has pointed out multiple times, the Islanders are frauds and it really should be the Sabres in that playoff spot. 

Thanks Kevyn Adams!! :NinjaLookLeftRight1::bigteeth:

Edited by Samifan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Samifan said:

Pulling for the Canes since I am a local now. Also as someone on this forum has pointed out multiple times, the Islanders are frauds and it really should be the Sabres in that playoff spot. 

Indeed.  Carolina wins this easily

• Uggh... 1

Goalies: :islanders:

Defense: :hurricanes:

Offense: :hurricanes:

Special teams (PP/PK): :hurricanes:

Coaching: :hurricanes:

Mental: :islanders:

Experience: :hurricanes:

Robustness: :islanders:

Depth: :hurricanes:

The Isles made it to the playoffs because of Sorokin and like the Jets, NY will have to rely strong on him to create the upset. Still, Carolina might be well ahead.

Hurricanes in 6.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 1:26 PM, Samifan said:

Hear hear!

Every year, in the first round, I believe there is an "upset special" in the making. Sometimes I pick two. One in the East, one in the West.
I had a hard time coming up with a legit upset special out West, but, I am getting the feeling this match up here, Isles at Canes, could qualify as that in the East.
Not gonna count my pick of TB over Toronto, which many likely consider an upset if it happens now, because my fandom clouds my judgement there....plus, ^%$# the Leaves® :bigteeth: 

So that said, look, I really do l like how the Canes are built, how they play, their team swagger, and how they've been building towards a big Stanley Cup moment for the last few seasons. Unlike Florida, whom I felt the same way about prior to this year, I don't think the Canes "took a step back", fully expected them to win the division, and possibly star in the Finals.

But something about the Islanders, their own past playoff demons whom they look to exorcise, and the grindy, thick sauced, ornery style they still play, that I feel could give Carolina (who CAN play that style if need be too!) some trouble.
Hard to pinpoint it exactly....you know, the reason WHY I think the Isles can upset the Canes.

I think of Carolina as a Ferrari that had a dead body sitting in the trunk before it was finally discovered and removed.....meaning...
The ride is cool, is fast, is powerful, but every once in a while, your nose hairs twitch from some odor that just seems.....off....and you don't quite know where it's coming from..... :shifty: 

Canes looked quite mortal down the stretch.... Isles have had to play "playoff hockey" for the last couple months..... NY takes the series in 6 in the TFG Upset Special.

And the Isles and Canes have officially gotten this post season started!

Everyone fired up, but we will see who stays the most composed here.
Canes bench already doing match ups....apparently they are going to be very specific as to who covers NY's top scoring threat of Horvat, Lee, and the returning Mat Barzal.

Wow.

How about THAT for 'growing up fast'... Fasching, one of the Isles' youngest players, and obviously his first NHL post season game, takes a bad tripping penalty....and the Hurricanes, in five seconds, capitalize on the ensuing PP.

That young man should hear it from his coach about keeping his stick AWAY from the feet of the opposition!

I get the feeling every single goal will be huge in this series, as I think it may stay low scoring, and that first CAR goal is just enormous.
1-0 Canes on a PP goal by Sabastian Aho.

Hurricanes in 7. I think the Islanders will give them fits, with their style of play, but Carolina pulls it out and shuts down the Islanders with a shutout at home to pull it out. I think this is a more even series, than some people believe.

Just now, FD19372 said:

Hurricanes in 7. I think the Islanders will give them fits, with their style of play, but Carolina pulls it out and shuts down the Islanders with a shutout at home to pull it out. I think this is a more even series, than some people believe.

Yep.
I think NY isn't the cannon fodder some think as well.
So much so, I picked them to pull off the upset here :) 

Isles have looked pretty good so far, outside of that bad penalty one of the baby Isles took.

• Like 1

Isles will get a chance to even things up.
Canes with the penalty....Stastny in the box for slashing, which is cheating :bigteeth:  ....

Isles to the PP.
Bo Horvat needs to rediscover his scoring touch on the man advantage he had in Vancouver.
NY would sure like to see that from him.

Is it asking too much for the TV announcers to use their different middle names during play by play instead of “Aho” or “Sebastian Aho” ?  (Antero vs Johannes.).

Or, maybe “Finn Aho” (Canes) or “Swede Aho” (Isles) ?!?

so confusing…

P.S.  Back in the day, when there were two Adams (both named Greg I think), Caps radio man Ron Weber in games with New Jersey (in the good ol’ Patrick Division days) would say “Cap Adams” and “Devil Adams” during play by play.

35 minutes ago, SaucyJack said:

Is it asking too much for the TV announcers to use their different middle names during play by play instead of “Aho” or “Sebastian Aho” ?  (Antero vs Johannes.).

Or, maybe “Finn Aho” (Canes) or “Swede Aho” (Isles) ?!?

so confusing…

P.S.  Back in the day, when there were two Adams (both named Greg I think), Caps radio man Ron Weber in games with New Jersey (in the good ol’ Patrick Division days) would say “Cap Adams” and “Devil Adams” during play by play.

Meh....they are just being a bunch of Ahos to annoy you, Saucy. :bigteeth: 

All I can say is I love the NHL Playoffs! That was a lot of fun to watch; 6 on 5 doesn't get much better than that. The Isles pressured well but Raanta made some great saves. Isles will need to test him more in G2. 'Canes PK was like a clinic in how to pressure the puck, take away lanes.

• pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Carolina (M1) vs. New York Islanders (WC1) - (Carolina leads 1-0)