NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Colorado (C1) vs. Seattle (WC1) - (Seattle wins series 4-3)

pilldoc

NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Colorado (C1) vs. Seattle (WC1)  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the series?

• Avs sweep in 4
    • Avs in 5
    • Avs in 6
    • Avs in 7
    • Kracken sweep in 4
    • Kracken in 5
    • Kracken in 6
    • Kracken in 7*

This poll is closed to new votes

Schedule TBD

All discussion here.

(1) Colorado Avalanche vs. (WC1) Seattle Kraken

Game 1: | Tuesday, April 18, 10 p.m. | at COL | TV: ESPN
Game 2: | Thursday, April 20, 9:30 p.m. | at COL | TV: ESPN
Game 3: | Saturday, April 22, 10 p.m. | at SEA | TV: TBS
Game 4: | Monday, April 24, 10 p.m. | at SEA | TV: TBS
Game 5*: | Wednesday, April 26, TBD | at COL | TV: TBD
Game 6*: | Friday, April 28, TBD | at SEA | TV: TBD
Game 7*: | Sunday, April 30, TBD | at COL | TV: TBD

Edited by pilldoc
  • Good Post 1

• pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Colorado (C1) vs. Seattle (WC1)

The Avalanche were hammered by injuries this season (plus depleted depth from key summer departures like Nazem Kadri and Andre Burakovsky). As a result, they didn’t score as much as usual (especially at five-on-five) nor did they defend as well. Georgiev doesn’t have much playoff experience.

If there is a series where an upset could be had, I believe this might be it.  The Kracken have surprised everyone by making it to the playoffs in there 2nd year. Seattle made the playoffs despite a team save percentage of .886 which is a credit to the skaters but an indictment of the confidence they should feel between the pipes.

So who do you take Georgiev or the Grubauer/Jones Combo?

Going to take the Avs in 6 ......

52 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

The Avalanche were hammered by injuries this season (plus depleted depth from key summer departures like Nazem Kadri and Andre Burakovsky). As a result, they didn’t score as much as usual (especially at five-on-five) nor did they defend as well. Georgiev doesn’t have much playoff experience.

If there is a series where an upset could be had, I believe this might be it.  The Kracken have surprised everyone by making it to the playoffs in there 2nd year. Seattle made the playoffs despite a team save percentage of .886 which is a credit to the skaters but an indictment of the confidence they should feel between the pipes.

Grubaur and I’m picking Kracken and certainly cheering for them 

Seattle was pretty good on the road and very good at home.  Who saw this coming?  The West was far weaker than in past years.  That may have helped.  This is another  coaching job that deserves a long look.  Colorado has been ripe all year.  Seattle has a real shot here.  Im taking them in 6 or 7.

The defending SC Champions should be heavy favorites to win against a first time ever ,playoff team in the Seattle Kraken.
The Avs know Grubauer pretty well....they have the star power, they have the speed, they play a good brand of defense too, though not quite airtight, and they certainly  have a dangerous offense with their top lines and from Makar leading things from the blue line.

Kraken should make a good accounting of themselves, because, like the Minnesota Wild, they play a complete team game, out of necessity, and do it quite well.
However, unlike MN-Dallas, where i think those teams are closer in competitiveness, the Kraken likely find themselves out of their element, at least for their maiden voyage into the playoffs, against a mostly seasoned, very dangerous defending champion team.

Colorado can be contained, can be frustrated, but not so sure the Kraken, who will be dealing with nerves and big spotlight syndrome for many of their guys, are the team to contain the Avs on the big stage.

Colorado in 5, though I will be VERY happy to be wrong and see Seattle turn the tables and upset the defending champs.

• Good Post 1

I'm going with my logo-thing again 😉

Goalies: :avalanche:

Defense: :avalanche:

Offense: :avalanche:

Special teams (PP/PK): :avalanche:

Coaching: :avalanche:

Mental: :nhl:

Experience: :avalanche:

Robustness: :nhl:

Depth: :avalanche:

That will be a tough pill to swallow for the Kraken. They have nothing to lose (hence the mental going on their side because I can't put everything on the Avs' side). Still, Colorado to too loaded and the Kraken goalie duo is shaky.

Colorado in 5.

(PS: I put the NHL logo because I haven't found the Kraken one lol)

Edited by Math
correction to the post
  • Good Post 1

On 4/15/2023 at 4:08 AM, Hockey Junkie said:

Colorado is far from the team they were last year.  ill take the Kracken to oust them

Wow...well I'll be shocked if that happens...in fact I'll be surprised if Colorado doesn't sweep...

14 hours ago, Math said:

I'm going with my logo-thing again 😉

Goalies: :avalanche:

Defense: :avalanche:

Offense: :avalanche:

Special teams (PP/PK): :avalanche:

Coaching: :avalanche:

Mental: :nhl:

Experience: :avalanche:

Robustness: :nhl:

Depth: :avalanche:

That will be a tough pill to swallow for the Kraken. They have nothing to lose (hence the mental going on their side because I can't put everything on the Avs' side). Still, Colorado to too loaded and the Kraken goalie duo is shaky.

Colorado in 5.

(PS: I put the NHL logo because I haven't found the Kraken one lol)

Oh haha I thought the NHL logo was for a tie or something...but I'll go even further and give the mental and robustness to Colorado too since they are the champs they should have the confidence/mental advantage and yeah that could work against them like make them over confident or nervous to choke but I lean more to the champs having mental advantage just from being the champs...

As for robustness yeah Seattle has the biggest player in the NHL but he's not initiating as a fighter so I say it's a tie in in robustness department or I'd even give it to the champs size Colorado overall is pretty big and tough...

14 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

The defending SC Champions should be heavy favorites to win against a first time ever ,playoff team in the Seattle Kraken.
The Avs know Grubauer pretty well....they have the star power, they have the speed, they play a good brand of defense too, though not quite airtight, and they certainly  have a dangerous offense with their top lines and from Makar leading things from the blue line.

Kraken should make a good accounting of themselves, because, like the Minnesota Wild, they play a complete team game, out of necessity, and do it quite well.
However, unlike MN-Dallas, where i think those teams are closer in competitiveness, the Kraken likely find themselves out of their element, at least for their maiden voyage into the playoffs, against a mostly seasoned, very dangerous defending champion team.

Colorado can be contained, can be frustrated, but not so sure the Kraken, who will be dealing with nerves and big spotlight syndrome for many of their guys, are the team to contain the Avs on the big stage.

Colorado in 5, though I will be VERY happy to be wrong and see Seattle turn the tables and upset the defending champs.

I thinking Seattle done since they were lucky they played so well to start the season to not fall out of the playoffs picture near the end haha ..

22 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Seattle was pretty good on the road and very good at home.  Who saw this coming?  The West was far weaker than in past years.  That may have helped.  This is another  coaching job that deserves a long look.  Colorado has been ripe all year.  Seattle has a real shot here.  Im taking them in 6 or 7.

I didn't even think Seattle would be close to making the playoffs before this season started...

On 4/15/2023 at 7:52 AM, pilldoc said:

Definitely Georgiev despite lacking much playoff experience he took Colorado to the top of the Central in only the last half of season...might not be enough to win another Cup but I'm thinking definitely enough to get past Seattle easily...

• pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Colorado (C1) vs. Seattle (WC1) - (Series Tied 1-1)
  • pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Colorado (C1) vs. Seattle (WC1) - (Colorado leads series 2-1)
  • pilldoc changed the title to NHL 2022-23 Playoffs RD 1: Colorado (C1) vs. Seattle (WC1) - (Series tied at 2-2)

They’re kidding, right?  They altered the live video feed, like in The Capture, yes?  C’mon just admit it.  No way the Kraken are up 3-2 over Colorado going back to Seattle ?!

Maybe I’ve found another former-Cap playoff hero…another goalie (like Samsonov) but no I mean Philipp Phreakin’ Grubauer

…who won the Cup in 2018 with Washington, but surely with a sour taste, as he was the goalie pulled in The opening round game 2 vs Columbus, a series they were almost down 3-0 in…replaced with Braden Holtby who stayed in net for the rest of that Odyssey, leaving Grubauer sitting on the bench.

But maybe his time to shine has come.