Round 1, Game 2: Minnesota Wild @ Dallas Stars, Wednesday 4-19-23, 8:30pm, American Airlines Center

MNSOTA

3.00 Goals For Per Game (6th in the NHL)
2.00 Goals Against Per Game (7th in the NHL)

25.0% Power Play (10th in the NHL)
60.0% Penalty Kill (11th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:
1. #13 Sam Steel ~ 1G 1A = 2pts
2. #97 Kirill Kaprizov ~ 1G 0A = 1pt
3. #38 Ryan Hartman ~ 1G 0A = 1pt
4. #28 Gustav Nyquist ~ 0G 1A = 1pt
5. #46 Jared Spurgeon ~ 0G 1A = 1pt

Top 3 PIM's:
1. #17 Marcus Foligno ~ 4 PIM's
2. #46 Jared Spurgeon ~ 4 PIM's
3. #38 Ryan Hartman ~ 2 PIM's

Top Goaltenders:
1. #32 Filip Gustavsson (1-0)  1.30GAA  .962%
2. #29 Marc-Andre Fleury N/A

Vs.

Dallas Stars 

2.00 Goals For Per Game (10th in the NHL)
3.00 Goals Against Per Game (11th in the NHL)

40.0% Power Play (6th in the NHL)
75.0% Penalty Kill (7th in the NHL)

Top 5 Scorers:
1. #21 Jason Robertson ~ 1G 0A = 1pt
2. #24 Roope Hintz ~ 1G 0A = 1pt
3. #4 Miro Heiskanen ~ 0G 1A = 1pt
4. #14 Jamie Benn ~ 0G 1A = 1pt
5. #16 Joe Pavelski ~ 0G 1A = 1pt

Top 3 PIM's:
1. #18 Max Domi ~ 12 PIM's
2. #53 Wyatt Johnston ~ 2 PIM's
3. #21 Jason Robertson ~ 2 PIM's

Top Goaltenders:
1. #29 Jake Oettinger (0-1)  1.95GAA  .938%
2. #41 Scott Wedgewood N/A

Lines:

Dallas Stars

Robertson~Hintz~Pavelski?
Ja. Benn~Johnston~Dadonov
Marchment~Domi~Seguin
Faksa~Glendening~Dellandrea

R. Suter~Heiskanen
Lindell~Hakanpaa
Harley~C. Miller

Oettinger
Wedgewood

Minnesota Wild

Kaprizov~Hartman~Zuccarello
M. Johansson~F. Gaudreau~Boldy
M. Foligno~Steel~Nyquist
Duhaime~Dewar~Reaves

Middleton~Spurgeon
Brodin~Dumba
Merrill?~Faber

Gustavsson
Fleury

Bruce Boudreau had some great commentary on the Wild-Stars series.

He was saying while he is sure the Wild hope Pavelski is ok, Minnesota is NOT going to feel sorry for Dallas, and should be even MORE physical in Game 2.
He also went on to say he can see a guy like Marcus Foligno encouraging the team to lay out even more bodies tonight....legally of course!

Boudreau would know. He coached many of these guys directly....he knows what they are capable of.

• Like 2

On the Stars side, the goal will be to stick to the plan and not fall again in the trap of the physical battle and respond to it. If they do, they will lose. I understand Boudreau's point, they are on the road, the Wild will try to get another win by using that aspect of the game but can you really do it for at least 60 minutes while game #1 ended in second OT? I doubt it. In game #1, the Stars took advantage of the game from the third period and the Wild were out of gas from that point. After that it was the usual playoffs OT, the puck is round, so are the posts, and there are bounces and stuff... Could have gone either way.

I'm expecting the Stars to come out very strong in order to take the lead as quickly as possible, forcing the Wild to change its strategy consisting of clogging the neutral at the blue line with 2 or 3 players while applying a strong forecheck coupled with a quick backcheck around Gustavsson if the Stars manage to go through the fence from the wings.

For sure, it's gonna be interesting and that's all what I hope: a good play-off hockey game.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

15 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Bruce Boudreau had some great commentary on the Wild-Stars series.

He was saying while he is sure the Wild hope Pavelski is ok, Minnesota is NOT going to feel sorry for Dallas, and should be even MORE physical in Game 2.
He also went on to say he can see a guy like Marcus Foligno encouraging the team to lay out even more bodies tonight....legally of course!

Boudreau would know. He coached many of these guys directly....he knows what they are capable of.

If Dallas was smart... I figure they would avoid the shenanigans of payback and aim for scoring. We keep hitting them clean and disrupting them will be obviously in our favor.
Usually when a home team loses GM1, They tend to rebound in a big way. Hopefully we can stop that from happening and make them come back to a rainy midwest and cold temps. 

I'm going to miss probably the 1st 1/2 of the game so hopefully when  I get back we'll have a lead and then finish in regulation.
Wild win 4-2 with an ENG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Math said:

On the Stars side, the goal will be to stick to the plan and not fall again in the trap of the physical battle and respond to it. If they do, they will lose. I understand Boudreau's point, they are on the road, the Wild will try to get another win by using that aspect of the game but can you really do it for at least 60 minutes while game #1 ended in second OT? I doubt it. In game #1, the Stars took advantage of the game from the third period and the Wild were out of gas from that point. After that it was the usual playoffs OT, the puck is round, so are the posts, and there are bounces and stuff... Could have gone either way.

I'm expecting the Stars to come out very strong in order to take the lead as quickly as possible, forcing the Wild to change its strategy consisting of clogging the neutral at the blue line with 2 or 3 players while applying a strong forecheck coupled with a quick backcheck around Gustavsson if the Stars manage to go through the fence from the wings.

For sure, it's gonna be interesting and that's all what I hope: a good play-off hockey game.

No one has really brought up the 'Fatigue Factor' yet....good point you bring up.

Both teams obviously played the same amount of periods....but will the burly Wild be more gassed where Dallas can take advantage and use more speed, technique, and stamina to pull this one out?
If the Wild really are gonna be more physical, that will require lots of energy, as you pointed out...can they do that again for at least another 60?

Conditioning between the teams may turn out to be a deciding factor...

3 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

Read on another site that Fleury is in and Hartman is out 

fleury.jpg.47882a0de71d374c2683af132109dde7.jpg

Hmmm...dailyfaceoff seems to agree...Fleury IS in.
I don't know about this move....

Maybe Minnesota planned on Rolosoning and Fernandezing the two goalies all along, but when Gus has been in the zone like he has, why replace him??

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

fleury.jpg.47882a0de71d374c2683af132109dde7.jpg

Hmmm...dailyfaceoff seems to agree...Fleury IS in.
I don't know about this move....

Maybe Minnesota planned on Rolosoning and Fernandezing the two goalies all along, but when Gus has been in the zone like he has, why replace him??

Just don’t get it 

1 minute ago, EmptyShelf said:

I am perplexed at the decisions.....just like last year.  Clearly, BG supports them, so not even sure who makes the decisions.

According to the ESPN guys, it was an Evason decision.
Based on the fact that the head coach thought playing the double OT game could have left Gus fatigued to where he won't be as sharp for his next start out.
They also go on to say that Evason felt if MAF does lay an egg (something he is doing right now, as he just got scored on again), they could always bring back Gus fresh, at home, and without the stain of a Dallas comeback.

Not saying I agree with that, but that's the word.

• Like 1