2023 NHL Draft: Flyers pick 1st RD (#22 overall from LA Kings) is Oliver Bonk (D)

pilldoc

Do you like the pick?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the pick?

• Yes
    • No

20 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

A lot of Bonks points come from him being parked in front of the net on the PP. That likely won't be the case in the NHL. 

Why do you think it won’t work for him in the NHL? I know almost nothing about the kid but hockeydb has him at 6’2” 179lbs. Is it his relatively light weight that’s a concern or something else?

12 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Why do you think it won’t work for him in the NHL? I know almost nothing about the kid but hockeydb has him at 6’2” 179lbs. Is it his relatively light weight that’s a concern or something else?

It's because he won't be playing the front of the net on the Flyers power play. From everything I've read with the Flyers, the expectation is that Bonk will be an elite shutdown defender. Any offense we're seeing now is a 'bonus.' This is a problem with the Flyers. They predetermine what a player will be and try to fit them there, rather than develop said strengths and let them develop accordingly. Hopefully this changes, but I'm not holding my breath, especially when you consider Puckhead is still the coach in Lehigh Valley. If they fire him this offseason and replace him with a real development coach, I'll change my stance.

Bonk will succeed in Philadelphia though because he's a good player. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Bonk will succeed in Philadelphia though because he's a good player. 

I have him penciled into the Flyers Cup run defense in a few years...

Sanheim/Drysdale

York/Bonk

Andrea/Sotheran

McDonald

In time we'll see.

On 1/29/2024 at 11:04 AM, GratefulFlyers said:

How many teams ever park a defenceman in front of the net on the pp, other than Chara who is a total freak. And like I said....maybe they do. 

They gotta do something to improve that pathetic pp. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

How many teams ever park a defenceman in front of the net on the pp, other than Chara who is a total freak.

Oh right … now that you mention it I can’t think of any current D-men who work the crease on the PP.

The Flyers tried Ristolainen down low a few times I’m sure out of desperation. No goals no points, basically Ristolainen’s usual but in fairness the Flyers’ PP units must be cursed. I’m not sure even Chara would score much.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Oh right … now that you mention it I can’t think of any current D-men who work the crease on the PP.

Doesn't mean the Flyers can't change tactics if this kid shows he can play the position when he arrives the coach i imagine will do whatever it takes to get the PP going.

3 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Ristolainen’s usual but in fairness the Flyers’ PP units must be cursed. I’m not sure even Chara would score much.

To your point, Ristolainen was a 40 point defenseman on the Buffalo power play on some truly terrible Sabre teams.

A curse is as good an explanation as any. It's insane that they've changed out everything and they still have struggles...

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

The Flyers tried Ristolainen down low a few times I’m sure out of desperation. No goals no points, basically Ristolainen’s usual but in fairness the Flyers’ PP units must be cursed. I’m not sure even Chara would score much.

Good power plays have 2 things in common. Lots of skill and high hockey IQ,s. Flyers seem to be lacking in both these areas. Zone entries are slow, puck retrievals are soft, and they stand still when they do establish zone time; they do these things better 5on5 than up a man. 

On 1/29/2024 at 12:13 PM, OccamsRazor said:

I have him penciled into the Flyers Cup run defense in a few years...

Sanheim/Drysdale

York/Bonk

Andrea/Sotheran

McDonald

In time we'll see.

Lotsa skill. Little to no snarl. Gotta find a balance to go deep in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Little to no snarl

yep and that grows with confidence. In Foerster’s debut last season, 3 goals 7 points in 8 games, I guess he had some carryover snarl from Lehigh, as far as scoring is concerned. He’ll get it back in time I’m sure.

Anyway I agree not enough badass, “you can’t stop us” attitude on the PP … yet. Of course all the attitude in the world can’t help players who don’t have the skills, or if the PP coach is a total dud. 

Paging Joe Mullen you’re needed in surgery. 

Edited by GratefulFlyers