**** 2023-24 MINNESOTA WILD GENERAL SEASON THREAD ****

TropicalFruitGirl26

Gustavsson played pretty well in a last preseason game against Dallas. He had a shutout in that 4:0 win and was 1st star of the game. 2nd star was Rossi who placed a goal. 3rd star was Zuccarello who had 2 assists in that game. Agree about enormous role of Gustavsson and Fleury for this special season.

Our employees at my work have been at preseason games already and mentioned nicely about Faber and Maroon plays.

Tomorrow we will start our season on our home ice against the team who reached Stanley Cup finals last season Florida Panthers. I am already excited of this special start.

• Like 1

For once this season I'm going in with little expectations.
Looking forward to the younger guys. Hopefully, They'll be the spark to get us beyond what our core has done in previous seasons.
Health will be key (like always) but especially for that core group. Ek, Foligno, Hartman and ofc Kap and Zucc.
Best yet, There's nobody on this roster now who annoys me. 😁

Edited by ClusterChuck
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, ClusterChuck said:

For once this season I'm going in with little expectations.
Looking forward to the younger guys. Hopefully, They'll be the spark to get us beyond what our core has done in previous seasons.
Health will be key (like always) but especially for that core group. Ek, Foligno, Hartman and ofc Kap and Zucc.
Best yet, There's nobody on this roster now who annoys me, yet. 😁

Fixed it for you...

• Haha 1

I am actually looking forward to the season. Not that I think the team will do much, but to see how some of these young guys turn out. They've never really done this before, relying on younger players. And besides, the Twins finally won a playoff series, so maybe the Wild can too!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Is Faber eligible rookie of the year? Ope, sorry, saw Berdard play....

It won't matter if Bedard turns out to be average, the legue has invested so much hype into him, he will be rookie of the year unless he gets seriously injured and misses most of the year.

Cale Makar couldn't win the rookie award this year.

• Like 1

Faber could win rookie of the year this year.  I agree that Bedard will probably get it because the league has been working so hard making every game he plays a big deal so far.  

Merrill looks like same slow and surprisingly soft 6'3" defenseman he was last season.  Goligoski...another year with an NMC.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alexandron said:

Chicago team is impressing me so far on their play. And Bedard has a chance to be a rookie of the year. Interesting ,he is playing in the line together with our former player Donato.

Bedard doesn't have a chance of being rookie of the year, he will be rookie of the year. The league will see to that. The only way he will have less than 100% chance of being rookie of the year is if his leg falls off...

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Walker back to Iowa #10 Vinnie Letteri gets the call

Interesting, he is Minnesotan too. I just looked for his stats. He has more experience in NHL than Walker and played already 83 games (placed 7 goals)for different teams in NHL, but he has not best stats so far in +/- -31. Maybe he will play better for the Wild?

Edited by Alexandron
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Alexandron said:

Interesting, he is Minnesotan too. I just looked for his stats. He has more experience in NHL than Walker and played already 83 games (placed 7 goals)for different teams in NHL, but he has not best stats so far in +/- -31. Maybe he will play better for the Wild?

I wouldn't get too excited about Lettieri. He's bounced around a lot (mostly in the AHL) and is 29 years old. I didn't watch much of the game, but if Walker played as poorly as the rest of the team, this might be more of sending a message to Walker rather than Lettieri being a better player...

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

Giving Walker a whole 2 games, playing with different lines each game really isn’t a fair test of his game. 
But I am all for cycling some of the better players up for some experience. 
Mermis has looked better after his first game, but I would like to see them bring in someone else at some point. 

• Good Post 1

On 10/23/2023 at 7:38 AM, IllaZilla said:

but if Walker played as poorly as the rest of the team, this might be more of sending a message to Walker rather than Lettieri being a better player...

I think this was more about clearing cap space for Hunt.

At $9800. Under the cap, we will have to get used to this stuff.

• Like 1

From NHL's website:
Spurgeon placed on long-term injured reserve by Wild | NHL.com

Good news/bad news.
Bad news:
No Spurgeon. Plain n simple. He is the closest Minnesota has to a D-man who can help generate offense from the blue line.
Also means certain defensemen that shouldn't play more minutes are now going to.

Good News:
Certain young defensemen will get more time to prove they belong. Whether that is an AHL guy, or Calen Addison once again being given an opportunity.
LTIR means the Wild will have some freed up cap space to the tune of 7.5M.
Yes, yes....they can't go too crazy still because they do expect Spurge back, but, if for some reason he is out longer than expected, that is some space for GM Bill Guerin to work with.

Also, Jujhar Khaira, the former Edmonton 3rd rounder will get a callup, presumably to replace The UnJohnny who has come up with an injury.
Khaira hasn't done a whole lot at the NHL level, is 29 already, and isn't noted for being particularly fast, but, well, that is who is coming on up.
He is at least a big body, has shown flashes, albeit very fleeting, of having an NHL scoring touch, and this stint with the Wild could very well be his last opportunities to stick in the big leagues so I'd imagine the team will get everything possible out of him.

Not exactly the scoring forward the Wild need, but such is life under the buyout cap crunch.

Vinni has looked better than Sammy Walker did in the call up but neither does a whole lot.  One player who isn't playing well is Kirill Kaprizov.  He handling the puck like he has a live hand grenade at the end of his stick.  No big surprise, but Jon Merrill still sucks.  Faber is all over the place but he probably needs to ease up on the pinches up the ice.  

The team as a whole needs to begin realizing that when the defenseman pinch and drop down low the forwards need to drop back and fill their spot. 
From what I have seen the forwards are dropping back but not preparing to defend. 
Merril had better wake up, mermis may have taken his job. 
Addison may need to wake up before Faber takes his spot on the power play. 

Merrill days with the Wild will come to an end as soon as Spurgeon returns to the lineup.  Yet I don't think there is much you can do with him other than perhaps bury him in the minors.  

Overall this team needs to work on generating more shots from in close instead of spending most of the time just sending shots from the perimeter.  

Either way...this team still looks slow.