**** 2023-24 MINNESOTA WILD GENERAL SEASON THREAD ****

TropicalFruitGirl26

Wild training camp roster reduced to 31:

https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/wild-reduces-training-camp-roster-to-31

And here is more about Maroon's future influence on our team. After reading this article ( https://www.nhl.com/wild/news/maroons-stanley-cup-experience ) I wish his presence at the Wild team at least for the next 4-5 seasons. Maybe he will finish his career in our club and will bring lots of his experience to our youngsters? And also, it seems, he is looking like a Hollywood star at the picture attached to this article. 🙂

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IllaZilla said:

I'm surprised no one brought up the Zuccarello extension or the Foligno extension...

I wish Foligno’s was for just 2 years too. He had a down year last year and he’s not getting any younger. Obviously he plays a very physical game and those last couple years could be tough. Hopefully he proves me wrong 

• Like 1

Just checked our schedule for this season. We are going to start it next week on pretty tough games against Florida Panthers(on Thursday, Oct.12)at home and against Toronto Maple Leafs (on Saturday, Oct.14) on a road. But against the teams from our Division we are going to start only on Nov.12 (a month later) against Dallas Stars on our home ice. Actually, Oct.12-Nov.12 period will be an intriguing period against difficult teams from other Divisions.

5 hours ago, Icechipper said:

Did not see it but AP reported Jared Spurgeon injured on hit by Reese Johnson of Chicago in Thursday exhibition game. Connor Dewar dropped mitts with Johnson in that contest.

Well, it's going to be one of two things: Upper Body Injury or Lower Body Injury...

Hartman and Foligno both got NMC's for THIS SEASON in their new deals.  Then modified (15 team no trade list) for the rest.  Zuccarello got an NMC for both years.  So whether we like them or not...they're not going anywhere.  I don't understand what the rush is to make these deals.  Its like playing your cards right away in poker.  

IMO, it seemed impulsive and emotion-driven (they like being here and we really really seem to like it when they say that).  They all basically got what they wanted and complete job security.  It may not be the toxic culture of the previous 'core' but it certainly is a damn comfortable group right now.  NMC's and NTC's all over the place.  

54 minutes ago, ClusterChuck said:

With Spurge out with the UBI, Now we'll see Brodin, Midds and Gogs with 3 younger guys.
Could be interesting.

You know, I am probably one of the few who think Goligoski can still offer a team some veteran presence and quick puck movement out of the defensive zone....BUT, in limited exposure and minutes.
He certainly doesn't skate like he used and he isn't really a physical guy.

So this worries me a bit that he would need to be slotted higher than is ideal.
Goligoski on limited minutes, at his AAV, sure.
Goligoski being asked to take on more responsibilities, as if he were 28 or 29 again? Yikes!

I know the Wild are strapped by the buyouts...but there HAS to be some cheaper veteran option out there....somewhere...
Dylan McIlrath (31) is another guy who hit the waiver wire. He has never been much of an NHL calibur defenseman, per se, but he is big, is physical, and likely can stand the kind of punishment big forwards are gonna dish out on the Wild defense much better than Goligoski can.
I think what was between his ears has held him back more than any of his physical tools.
I'd take a chance with him....at 31, could be his last shot to try and stick on some team's bottom pair

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

You know, I am probably one of the few who think Goligoski can still offer a team some veteran presence and quick puck movement out of the defensive zone....BUT, in limited exposure and minutes.
He certainly doesn't skate like he used and he isn't really a physical guy.

So this worries me a bit that he would need to be slotted higher than is ideal.
Goligoski on limited minutes, at his AAV, sure.
Goligoski being asked to take on more responsibilities, as if he were 28 or 29 again? Yikes!

That's all I want from him.
3rd pairing I think would be fine until Spurge gets back and then plug and play when needed.

IMO Gologoski is fine playing top 4 minutes for 1 game a week or 3rd pair minutes for 5 or 6 days over a 2 week period, but over use him and he falls off fast. 
I would rather see some call ups for a chance to give them a true test. 

Might be old news already, but this is the announced Opening Night roster, along with what they did last season.

No real surprises here, I don't think.
Injuries and performance, as always, will dictate who gets the next callups, but, here we go!
Wild look set and ready to begin play!

Openingnightroster.thumb.jpg.e6118199c90d89ff1f2db07b75c095df.jpg