Pre-Season Game #4 (9/30) Flyers vs. NJ Devils

pilldoc

Philadelphia Flyers

Cam York did practice this morning. He is healthy but not in the lineup. Cam Atkinson and Travis Konecny are in the lineup.

“It’ll be nice to get the first couple [of] shifts out of the way. I prepared myself pretty well for this. It feels like a regular season game. I’m going to approach it like that. I’m sure there will be some rust and some stuff I’m going to work out, but I’m excited to get going.”
    Cam Atkinson; 9/30/2023

Bobby Brink gets another chance in the lineup. Samu Tuomaala doubled in the morning skate as a placeholder as management figured out the rest of this lineup, but with his performance in Boston, Brink earned another chance to scrap for a spot with the Flyers.

“Bobby played really, really well. He was an offensive catalyst; that line with him, Frosty [Frost], and Tip [Tippett] had a lot of chemistry tonight. [He] got a goal and an assist, he was good on the powerplay, he played good five-on-five as well. He was stripping guys of the puck. He was backchecking like we’ve been asking him to do; that was really encouraging.”
    Rocky Thompson; 9/29/2023

Here’s the tentative lineup for the Philadelphia Flyers:

Forwards:

Furry-Couturier-Konecny
Allison-Cates-Brink
Brown-Laczynski-Atkinson
Lycksell-Gardner-Tuomaala

Defense:

Staal-Walker
Andrae-Ristolainen
Ginning-Attard

Goal:

Hart
(Sandstrom)

Game Information

You can watch the Flyers make their 2023 NHL Preseason home ice debut versus the Devils, streaming on NBCSP+. The broadcast is available on 97.5 the Fanatic and Flyers Radio 24/7. The puck drops at 7pm.

Edited by pilldoc

4 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

After 2 periods

devils 2 Flyers 1

Flyers an oofer on PP

Trying to watch South Carolina and Tennessee on TV and this on the laptop and can't catch Atkinson on the ice yet how has he looked??

:rage:

Edited by OccamsRazor
fix boo boo

Is this new with the lights entering the ice down the hallways??? Never seen this before if so i have to say me likey!!!

No i love it........looks trippy.

:flyer:

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Trying to watch South Carolina and Tennessee on TV and this on the laptop and can't catch Atkinson on the ice yet how has he looked??

:rage:

Rusty …. I have never been a Atkinson fan 

Edited by pilldoc

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

I thought he looked good for what he added his 23 goals and 50 points in 73 games was worth not having to look at Jake the year he played.

I pray he can get back to a level of where the Flyers can trade him to a playoff contending team for a nice return.

In Danny i trust...that is if he can get to a level that is worthy of trade. I hope so i want to keep this rebuild moving forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pilldoc said:

I've been a huge Atkinson fan when he was in Columbus and thrilled when we traded the Muppet for him.  I don't know that he has anything left, though.  "Rusty" is definitely at least accurate, and maybe kind.

• Like 2

My takeaways from Chris Maher and Jordan Hall were that Emil Andrae looked good, and Sean Walker was quietly competent.  Hart wasn't as rusty as anticipated.  Brink will give the brass some hard choices.  

Torts being in the exec suite again confirms his role as a de facto assistant GM.  I also like giving the assistant coaches this bench role.  It must help with their decisions/training.  

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

My takeaways from Chris Maher and Jordan Hall were that Emil Andrae looked good, and Sean Walker was quietly competent.

All of this is true. Andrea has looked very calm and poised with the puck on his stick.

Wise beyond his years. Sean Walker from what i seen has looked very good too i need to see him more to be able to say who's game he reminds me of it's on the tip of my tongue but won't come to me hopefully it will.

But was very unfamiliar to his game but he is non panicky with the puck and makes the nice simple calm play to move the puck. 

I have to say the defense looked way better than i expected it would on the ice together.

Even Staal and Attard (who i love rocking the #23) would solid. On paper i thought it would be a disaster and it hasn't yet.

However this was only one game and there is plenty of time to do so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

We may be better than expected.

Yes they will be which kind of to me is a not so great thing because it would suit them best to be a top 5 candidate for the draft so a team trying to win a Wild card.

There is plenty of time for the kids to learn to fight for the playoffs but i feel one more year taking a swing at the top picks in the draft would be more beneficial to them.

So they only i can see to get back to competing for the top pick is to sell off crucial assets to keeping that the goal.

Guys like Hart, Konecny and Sanheim for example will help that. But i think Danny wants to try and get them in more than worry about a draft pick and i understand it just not happy about it and nothing we can do but watch.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

nothing we can do but watch.

We can be uncritically supportive!

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

The issue the Flyers will have again is not assembling a good team, it's building a team that will be better than the other teams in their division, conference, and league.

To your point, getting a higher draft pick might be a better building option. They're not going to intentionally tank. They're not going to fire sale.

What they need to be is sellers this season's trade deadline: Walker, Hathaway, Atkinson(...)

Other moves may present themselves. Any "make a move to make the playoffs" is going in the wrong direction.

And did anyone else notice Danny Jones sitting next to, in deep conversation with..

Paul Holmgren?

:hocky:

• Like 2

Holmgren or no Holmgren, the rebuild is on.   I don't think Briere, Jones, and Torts are delusional.  This team needs a lot of work.  The "big" trade question this year may be what to do (or can be done) with Hart or the other older players.  We might get mid-range picks for some of the other pieces (Sean Walker).  Unless Atkinson produces--we might face something like JVR.   Early on--I wonder if one of our goalies gets traded to Tampa Bay while Vasilevskiy  is out?  We seem to have a surplus of goalies.  

The other big questions are Coots, Sanheim, and Farabee, and Risto. Those three are 25+% of the cap.  And they are around for ages and may be untradeable.  Petersen--yeah, but under a worst case, he is out next year.   Trade or no trade, we are facing some tough leftovers from the prior regime--unless we see Coots of old (or approximate), an improvement on the other three.  We can accumulate draft picks (hopefully good ones) unless we see the cap go up, we face some deep dog doo. 

4 hours ago, radoran said:

The issue the Flyers will have again is not assembling a good team

It's hard to tell.

They are missing a Super star or two.

But when MM arrives if they can plug a lot of good players around him they will soon be close enough to go for a big signing maybe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, radoran said:

Any "make a move to make the playoffs" is going in the wrong direction.

Meant to add to last post.

YES!

Do not add anything for a playoff run salary dump to use cap space for assets back is a good move for the short term.

But nothing to handcuff them for when MM comes over!!! And just go from there...

Edited by OccamsRazor

re: the Boston and NJ games I was impressed by the compete level from the Flyers - they surprised me how in-sync they were already (at even-strength) - more like reg season than preseason. Both were losses but definitely better than the past when all they had was effort to compensate for their lack of talent.

I can deal with a season full of games like that. A lot of losses means a high pick while the talent develops without pressure of "just make the POs." Hart and Ersson should keep the blowouts to a minimum. This season ought to be a good first step in the rebuild.