My annual predictions almost certain to go wrong

yave1964

STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS Edmonton gets past the Rangers in six very spirited games.

DIVISION WINNERS Toronto, Edmonton, Jersey, Dallas.

FIRST COACH FIRED Rick Bowness in Winnipeg. Rumored to be universally hated by his team.

NORRIS WINNER Heiskanen edges out Dahlin

HART WINNER McDavid until further notice

IF NOT MCDAVID, WHO WINS THE HART? Jack Hughes

VEZINA WINNER Oettinger wins, edging out Shesterkin

CALDER TROPHY Bedard of course

IF NOT BEDARD? I think Clarke from the Kings is gonna have a damn fine career and was my sleeper pick but coach Scott Stevens wants his defenseman to be defense first last and only, like when he played so he was shipped to start the year in the AHL to get more seasoning. So my non Bedard pick is now a tie between Cooley in an Arizona High school gym or Levi in Buffalo

SELKE TROPHY Shoulda hands down been Hischier last year, maybe even the year before. He gets his first of many this season.

LADY BING TROPHY Again, as in every year, nobody really cares.

OVECHKIN TOTAL GOALS 38

DOES THE OVER THE HILL GANG IN THE IGLOO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS?  No. Penguins barely miss the final spot.

DO EITHER OF LAST YEARS CUP FINALISTS MAKE THE FINAL FOUR? No. Final four will be Dallas losing to Edmonton, Leafs losing to the Rangers.

WORST RECORD IN THE GAME THIS YEAR San Jose. 

Edited by yave1964
  • Like 3

STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS -- I'm going with the Hurricanes. They will finally make it after years being in the discussion.

DIVISION WINNERS -- Toronto, Edmonton, Rangers, Colorado.

FIRST COACH FIRED -- I'm going with DJ Smith if Ottawa doesn't show the high hopes in this team. Otherwise, Rick Bowness for the reasons mentioned by @yave1964

NORRIS WINNER -- Makar. This thophy is offense-first minded and Heiskanen will never be spectacular at the point of grabbing this award.

HART WINNER -- McDavid, no brainer

IF NOT MCDAVID, WHO WINS THE HART? Matthews, who will propel the Leafs to the western Conference final

VEZINA WINNER -- Sorokin will create the surprise

CALDER TROPHY -- Bedard, no brainer

IF NOT BEDARD? I put a coin on Levi, or Cooley whose Coyotes will qualify for the playoffs

SELKE TROPHY -- If the Devils maintain their progression, Hischier is a legit choice.

LADY BING TROPHY -- Yeah, no one gives a sh** about it.

OVECHKIN TOTAL GOALS -- 33

DOES THE OVER THE HILL GANG IN THE IGLOO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS? -- Yup, they missed them by one point, this year they will make it by one point with the help of a rejuvinated Jarry.

DO EITHER OF LAST YEARS CUP FINALISTS MAKE THE FINAL FOUR? -- Nope. I have Stars vs. Vegas and Toronto vs. Carolina

WORST RECORD IN THE GAME THIS YEAR -- I deeply want Montréal but it will be between San Jose and Chicago.

22 minutes ago, Math said:

STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS -- I'm going with the Hurricanes. They will finally make it after years being in the discussion.

FIRST COACH FIRED -- I'm going with DJ Smith if Ottawa doesn't show the high hopes in this team. Otherwise, Rick Bowness for the reasons mentioned by @yave1964

NORRIS WINNER -- Makar. This thophy is offense-first minded and Heiskanen will never be spectacular at the point of grabbing this award.

IF NOT MCDAVID, WHO WINS THE HART? Matthews, who will propel the Leafs to the western Conference final

IF NOT BEDARD? I put a coin on Levi, or Cooley whose Coyotes will qualify for the playoffs

SELKE TROPHY -- If the Devils maintain their progression, Hischier is a legit choice.

DOES THE OVER THE HILL GANG IN THE IGLOO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS? -- Yup, they missed them by one point, this year they will make it by one point with the help of a rejuvinated Jarry.

DO EITHER OF LAST YEARS CUP FINALISTS MAKE THE FINAL FOUR? -- Nope. I have Stars vs. Vegas and Toronto vs. Carolina

WORST RECORD IN THE GAME THIS YEAR -- I deeply want Montréal but it will be between San Jose and Chicago.

Depends. Guys who can play solid defense And put up big numbers tend to get in on Norris action.

Heiskanen is very good, but i found him not as good as Klingberg offensively while being much better all around. Honestly, i'd be excited to see them try Nils Lundqvist on that PP. That kid has some high octane offensive chops

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Math said:

Agree Yotes could surprise, if they get enough goaltending.

Montreal will be bad and in easily the deepest division, you may get your wish and they may crater 

Dj smith. Hmmm, I am more bullish on Ottawa, but cracks already. Norris may be done already and watching korpisalo up close here in Ohio, let's just say he does not inspire confidence.

I do not believe in Carolina. At all. Love the coach, hate the gm, mostly though I don't think past the first line that there is any offense. Svech, Aho and Necas are brilliant but nobody else scares anyone. And really they had nobody in top 40 in scoring or goals for. Love the defense, all three goalies, top three forwards but IMHO I don't believe they make it out of first round without two key middle six adds. Just not enough there there if you know what I mean.

Heiskanen. Agreed, Norris has become an offensive award but every now and then the voters get one right. I think Dallas is phenomenal right now, he is the games best defensive dman and I hope the writers for once stop being lazy and get one right.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Agree Yotes could surprise, if they get enough goaltending.

Montreal will be bad and in easily the deepest division, you may get your wish and they may crater 

Dj smith. Hmmm, I am more bullish on Ottawa, but cracks already. Norris may be done already and watching korpisalo up close here in Ohio, let's just say he does not inspire confidence.

I do not believe in Carolina. At all. Love the coach, hate the gm, mostly though I don't think past the first line that there is any offense. Svech, Aho and Necas are brilliant but nobody else scares anyone. And really they had nobody in top 40 in scoring or goals for. Love the defense, all three goalies, top three forwards but IMHO I don't believe they make it out of first round without two key middle six adds. Just not enough there there if you know what I mean.

Heiskanen. Agreed, Norris has become an offensive award but every now and then the voters get one right. I think Dallas is phenomenal right now, he is the games best defensive dman and I hope the writers for once stop being lazy and get one right.

That's not really their first line. They tend to spread the offense around 3 lines. But Seth jarvis is only 21 and had a 40 and 39 point season. He might yet grow into that 13th overall pedigree. A healthy Teravainen isn't a usual thing, but when he is healthy he can put up 65-70 points.

2 hours ago, Math said:

I'm going with DJ Smith if Ottawa doesn't show the high hopes in this team

Yeah, I can see this.  And the unfortunate thing is they have a pretty good front but go and stick Korpisalo in the net.  I have zero confidence in him (I think he's terrible, actually).   He's probably the only goalie that couldn't steal a job from Merzlikins.

• Good Post 1

2 hours ago, Math said:

The Leafs winning the western conference final will be a much bigger surprise than Sorokin, I can guarantee.  😎

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

That's not really their first line. They tend to spread the offense around 3 lines. But Seth jarvis is only 21 and had a 40 and 39 point season. He might yet grow into that 13th overall pedigree. A healthy Teravainen isn't a usual thing, but when he is healthy he can put up 65-70 points.

I knew someone would catch that, really only three forwards, not necessarily on the same line. Jarvis still hasn't stepped up but let's say he has a 60 point year. Is it enough to move the needle? Terravainen was beat up last year and was miserable for long stretches when he could play, clearly in decline. I simply think the forward group is very pedestrian, middle of the pack as a whole. 

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

I knew someone would catch that, really only three forwards, not necessarily on the same line. Jarvis still hasn't stepped up but let's say he has a 60 point year. Is it enough to move the needle? Terravainen was beat up last year and was miserable for long stretches when he could play, clearly in decline. I simply think the forward group is very pedestrian, middle of the pack as a whole. 

Maybe too early to tell, but Jarvis is heading of being a bust. I don't feel he can step up and become a regular scorer. I picked Carolina because they have the best defense IMO. Adding Orlov and DeAngelo for your third pair is quite a luxury. Yes, they lack grit and toughness and that why they brought Lemieux and hope for Svechnikov to be healthy for the whole season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I think Aho and Svechnikov are excellent, Necas is very good and Jarvis is up and coming. Teravainen healthy can also be very good.

Bunting adds some depth and Kotkaniemi is a decent middle 6 C. Staal can still work as a defensive faceoff winning C.

The defense and goaltending depth on that team is among league best.

Will any of the forwards win the art Ross anytime soon? No,but they win and keeping competitive. If Aho went down the team would suffer,  but they have the depth to go down anyone else and still be tough

• Like 1