Game 10: Buffalo Sabres at Philadelphia Flyers; 11/1/23 @ 7 PM, TNT

Howie58

This is a game between two rebuilding squads.  Buffalo may be ahead of the game.  With similar records, they are the mild favorite (-108):

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/buffalo-philadelphia-odds-november-1-2023-2016334

Buffalo has taken six of the last eight.  Like the Canes, the team has speed and skill that challenge our defense.  Maybe we need Gritty and the support gator to suit up.  Meanwhile, the two teams are similar statistically:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/buf-vs-phi/2023/11/01/2023020141

LGF

I’m surprised the 2 teams are so close numbers-wise. The Sabres are well on their way while the Flyers have only recently gotten the memo about icing 4 lines of talent with a D that contributes consistently on the scoreboard. Flyers are playing catch-up and the disparity in talent will probably be quite evident tonight. 

edit - thanks for posting the game thread I forgot they were on “regular” TV tonight.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

I'm surprised it's blacked out in Syracuse - Buffalo is by far the closest American NHL team to Syracuse.

These "regional" deals btw the NHL and TNT, ESPN and there's another I'm forgetting make no sense to me. NYC is a huge market for the NHL. Blacking out a Buffalo game anywhere in NY is just goofy.

edit: meanwhile the Flyers look pretty good except that Hart got hurt...stayed in, gave up another one now Ersson is in.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

I missed the first, so my take is limited. But this high shot total, low score gig brings back bad memories of the last few years. Ersson was part of the problem, but from the looks of things, their forwards sniped. We shoot, but a lot are from a distance and with little finesse. Our young guns often miss the net altogether. Playing them again in short order is a test of coaching and character. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I missed the first, so my take is limited. But this high shot total, low score gig brings back bad memories of the last few years. Ersson was part of the problem, but from the looks of things, their forwards sniped. We shoot, but a lot are from a distance and with little finesse. Our young guns often miss the net altogether. Playing them again in short order is a test of coaching and character. 

Yes we were badly outshot. And the scoreboard looks like Sabres beat them handily.  Luukenen has proven to me last two that he should be our number one goalie.  I assure you the Sabres will play harder on offense at home Friday.  I hope your goalie is ok.  If the Flyers have to use a backup for any extended time it won’t be good.  We have a back to back Friday/Saturday so expect Comrie to play Friday.  A trip to Toronto looms Saturday and Luukenen likely gets that task

Edited by Buffalo Rick
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Well, this is what I expected from the Flyers this year. They're heading to the annual 10 game losing streak like clock work. Let's see which players will continue to labour through and which players are going to give up.

Should have traded him when they had the chance.

Sandstrom and Ersson could have rode them into the top 3 drafting...

44 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sandstrom and Ersson could have rode them into the top 3 drafting...

This is what we wanted this season, though isn’t it?

are we happy about it? No! That’s us as Philly fans hahaha. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

This is what we wanted this season, though isn’t it?

are we happy about it? No! That’s us as Philly fans hahaha. 

I must be a masochist because I'm loving this. I really want to see who wants to be here and is willing to fight through. As well, in looking forward to seeing the first veteran who has an all out war with Tortorella about how the team is run or how Rocky Thompson continues to roll out a power play that is far beyond horrible and nothing will change. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo Rick said:

Yes we were badly outshot. And the scoreboard looks like Sabres beat them handily.  Luukenen has proven to me last two that he should be our number one goalie.  I assure you the Sabres will play harder on offense at home Friday.  I hope your goalie is ok.  If the Flyers have to use a backup for any extended time it won’t be good.  We have a back to back Friday/Saturday so expect Comrie to play Friday.  A trip to Toronto looms Saturday and Luukenen likely gets that task

You may have a very good duo.  Levi is supposed to be athletic and Luukenen looks calm and collected.  

20 hours ago, Howie58 said:

You may have a very good duo.  Levi is supposed to be athletic and Luukenen looks calm and collected.  

Comrie injured long term. So if Luukenen plays vs Flyers, this Cooley(whoever in the Dickens he is), gets thrown to the wolves tomorrow in Toronto if Levi isn’t quite ready?  I feel bad for the Sharks who are now the worst team in hockey ,!  It seems they quit on coach last night in 10-1 debacle at home vs Vancouver.  I imagine the boos rained down 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Rick said:

Comrie injured long term. So if Luukenen plays vs Flyers, this Cooley(whoever in the Dickens he is), gets thrown to the wolves tomorrow in Toronto if Levi isn’t quite ready?  I feel bad for the Sharks who are now the worst team in hockey ,!  It seems they quit on coach last night in 10-1 debacle at home vs Vancouver.  I imagine the boos rained down 

Dear Rick,

You hope to have at least one functional goalie.  I am wondering if the days of a 1a, 1b of near equal competence are hard to find.  I thought a franchise strength of the Flyers was a cadre of goaltending prospects.  Between politics, injury, and underperformance--we may have not be so blessed.

I suspect San Jose is paying a price for hanging on to a core (and overpriced D-corps) for too long, and delaying the inevitable.  Now it is coming home to roost.  Shoot, 10-1....Ouch.

Meanwhile, if your goalie corps is decent+, the team should do quite well.  It can certainly put the puck in the net.

Cheers

21 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Dear Rick,

You hope to have at least one functional goalie.  I am wondering if the days of a 1a, 1b of near equal competence are hard to find.  I thought a franchise strength of the Flyers was a cadre of goaltending prospects.  Between politics, injury, and underperformance--we may have not be so blessed.

I suspect San Jose is paying a price for hanging on to a core (and overpriced D-corps) for too long, and delaying the inevitable.  Now it is coming home to roost.  Shoot, 10-1....Ouch.

Meanwhile, if your goalie corps is decent+, the team should do quite well.  It can certainly put the puck in the net.

Cheers

Killed by Flyers, couldn’t watch, no feed.  Now on to Toronto to get our arses steamroller!  No clue if Levi or kid from Rochester?  Can you believe Edmontons record? Surprised 

3 hours ago, Buffalo Rick said:

Killed by Flyers, couldn’t watch, no feed.  Now on to Toronto to get our arses steamroller!  No clue if Levi or kid from Rochester?  Can you believe Edmontons record? Surprised 

I'm not surprised by their record. I'm surprised by the cause.  They either made a horrific decision to stick with the morons posing as goaltenders or just couldn't swing a deal.  But anyone with an elevator reaching the top floor had to know the offense had to click on all cylinders at all times if they were going to win games. Because their defense is suspect as well 

But whether it's the offense being hampered by trying to help with a pedestrian defense and moribund goaltending or there's something wrong up front, as well.

I'm really hoping their front office tried to make a goalie move and failed rather than thinking they'd be okay in goal, because the latter should induce either criminal charges or a medical intervention.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I'm not surprised by their record. I'm surprised by the cause.  They either made a horrific decision to stick with the morons posing as goaltenders or just couldn't swing a deal.  But anyone with an elevator reaching the top floor had to know the offense had to click on all cylinders at all times if they were going to win games. Because their defense is suspect as well 

But whether it's the offense being hampered by trying to help with a pedestrian defense and moribund goaltending or there's something wrong up front, as well.

I'm really hoping their front office tried to make a goalie move and failed rather than thinking they'd be okay in goal, because the latter should induce either criminal charges or a medical intervention.

I’m sure JR is as mad with them as I am with Sabres.  Who’s in goal for Flyers tonight?  I suspect they had to call up someone from AHL?

• Like 1