Game 46: Colorado Avalanche at Philadelphia Flyers; 1/20/24 @ 1 PM, NBCSP

2 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Tippett "will not return" they said a few mins ago. 

Ohhhhh. I didn't hear that. Am watching the (awful) Avs broadcast.

3 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Ohhhhh. I didn't hear that. Am watching the (awful) Avs broadcast.

I was stuck with NHL Network feed. EJ Hradek has ZERO business being a play by play guy!! Just brutal..

• Haha 1

I got lucky to catch a Flyers' feed. Naturally they're raving about the "effort" and the "fight," - I am too. But this one highlighted the talent gap. Not as much as it might've though...if that makes sense. The Flyers are not bereft of talent but there's only one Nathan McKinnon and not many of his kind. When Makar has a relatively quiet night and they still get 6 past your goalies, an ENer to boot ...

No news to Flyers' fans: to compete with the best they'll eventually need some upgrades.

• Like 2

I would probably put this under heading of a semi-clunker.  We competed and weren't embarrassed.  But we need to contain a team with this level of talent and didn't.  Our absence of PP hurts.  

We need to get it out of our system quickly. Ottawa is right around the corner.

From the 30K foot perspective--yeah, we need to think about building a team with distributed scoring.  If Tippett and Frost aren't generating offense, things get iffy.  Compare our 2nd/3rd line to COL.  

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Nathan MacKinnon putting on a skill gap demonstration today.

Imagine a guy like that against us in a best of 7? 

If you don't have one of those, you damn well better be deep, deep, deep everywhere else. 

Oh well, the bubble had to burst sometime. Move on. 

2 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I got lucky to catch a Flyers' feed. Naturally they're raving about the "effort" and the "fight," - I am too. But this one highlighted the talent gap. Not as much as it might've though...if that makes sense. The Flyers are not bereft of talent but there's only one Nathan McKinnon and not many of his kind. When Makar has a relatively quiet night and they still get 6 past your goalies, an ENer to boot ...

No news to Flyers' fans: to compete with the best they'll eventually need some upgrades.

Great minds think alike.  Effort goes so far.  And this kind of game raises questions about an "energy line."  And on that score, I think Poehling is being weighed down by his line mates. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

and this kind of game raises questions about an "energy line." 

yeah those old energy lines are becoming less of a necessity. Deslauriers sat today and Cates has potential scoring ability (maybe?) but 3rd and 4th lines have to produce. Teams will always rely on top 6 for most of their points but down the roster can't be a blank.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Send Brink down and recall your AHL Allstar.

Samu Tuomaala!!!

Or recall the Phantoms leading goal scorer.

Olle Lycksell!!!

And Brink could use some time finding his game it's a win win.

But they won't makes no sense to me.