Game 46: Colorado Avalanche at Philadelphia Flyers; 1/20/24 @ 1 PM, NBCSP

Greetings:

The January Gauntlet continues with the Avs visiting as favorites (-172) and having taken six of the last ten against us:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/colorado-philadelphia-odds-january-20-2024-2018679

We beat them in Colorado with Hart in net (5-2) on December 9th.  This is a big-time offense going up against a tight defense: 

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/col-vs-phi/2023/12/09/2023020417

We are on a roll.  Does it continue?  

Edited by Howie58

The Flyers have to stay out of the box. They're generally outplaying the Avs, outshooting them 11-5, but you can't take penalties against a team with tremendous firepower and an excellent PP..even without Big Nik and Lando.

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

Yeah lucky 3-bounce deal on that first one, Hart no chance. The Flyers had some great looks. Farabee misses the net on a beautiful dish by Frost on the odd-man. Nice to see the Flyers forechecking instead of relying on their transition game.

edit: well make that 3-0. McK is just so damn good, in alone fuggedaboudit.

edit again: way to go JF made up for that bad miss. 3-1 it's a game again...

Edited by GratefulFlyers

How, on a power play, do you wind up with three people right next to each other at the corner blue line on an entrance to the offensive zone?

And ALL of them drop pass TO EACH OTHER?

(Once freed of the extra man, TK 2-4!)

Edited by radoran

My take on first half:

1) Failing to score on the PP isn't only bad for our momentum--it fails to break the opponent's as in this game.

2) Our scoring is concentrated; they have a team of people who can put the puck in the net.  The rebuild needs to continue.

3) Even Carter Hart is human.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

He just doesn’t seem to have it this year.

I think I agree... could be because Ersson looks so damn good. But Hart hasn't "wow-ed" me very often this season the way he used to. Ersson has many times. I still like them both as a 1/1A or even Ersson 1 Hart backing him up. I'd be very slow to trade away Hart, at least until a real backup emerges. Nobody in Lehigh AFAIK is a candidate yet.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

fkn finally Foerster...  great work by Frost (again) to get the puck in the zone, quick dump to TF = 2-goal game again.

what I meant was a ONE GOAL GAME!!!

Ristolainen... holy wow nice work and Atkinson is officially hot

Edited by GratefulFlyers

3 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Ersson starts the 3rd, makes sense after Hart gives up 5 but only the 5th goal - McKinnon's rocket - was even remotely soft.

100%

I've been watching the game while my Dad's been visiting. Anybody coming away from this game that wants to pin this on Carter Hart is just plain wrong.

Goal 1 - tipped in front

Goal 2 - an absolute PP blast to the top corner

Goal 3 - NZ giveaway results in MacKinnon being in on a breakaway

Goal 4 - man all alone with nobody defending the tip-in

Goal 5 - maybe the one you could argue. The shot went through a maze of bodies.

• Good Post 1

The Avs are so talented, stacked up and down their lineup - yeah they sat back a bit up 5-2 but the Flyers are giving them everything they can handle. One goal game and McKinnon has 2...usually that means the Avs are dominating. Not so today.

Ouch. PK is so good but Makar's shot dribbles thru. 2-goal game again (again) (again)...

Still ... "Never Say Die"

edit: only fair to say the Avs are at the end of their road trip and dealing with some illness, missing Nichuskin... Still...helluva fight from the Flyers however it ends.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

Tippett "will not return" they said a few mins ago. 

Fun game - best I've seen the Flyers play in the afternoon in awhile... 0-3 on the PP, PK 50% - losing special teams battle to a team like the Avs is deadly.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1