Game 48: Tampa Bay Lightning at Philadelphia Flyers; 1/23/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Greetings:

TB enters as a mild favorite (-125), despite the fact that Philly is likely to outshoot TB:

https://accuscore.com/hockey/nhl-picks/1-23-2024/tampa-bay-lightning-philadelphia-flyers-732

On paper, this is TB's offense and PP versus our defense and penalty kill:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-tbl/2024/01/23/2023020732

This is the first of three matchups this year.  This has been a historically tough team for us (under .500).  Heck, our last goalie to shut them out was Roman Cechmanek in 2001!

https://flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/opponent.cgi?Tampa_Bay

Numbers aside, you have to believe Torts will want us to right the ship after this weekend.  

• Thanks 1

Sam is in goal, per Torts' pre-game gig.  It is another 11-7 gig too.  Tippett is day-to-day, which sounds like he is out.  

By the way, on the 11-7 format, Torts said the following.  He understood that it might give Brad Shaw some fits.  But from the forward perspective, it gave him the opportunity to give more ice time to the hot hand, and he complimented Jon Cooper on his ability to use that lineup to TB's advantage.  From my vantage, this is another restatement of the reality that our fourth line isn't effective.

18 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Sam is in goal, per Torts' pre-game gig. 

Not sure what is going on here.

Carter Hart has requested indefinite leave from the Philadelphia Flyers and the NHL.

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not sure what is going on here.

Carter Hart has requested indefinite leave from the Philadelphia Flyers and the NHL.

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/carter-hart-leaves-the-philadelphia-flyers

I am wondering if this relates to the sexual assault charges?  This article suggests it is "other."  The terse announcement suggests it is either health or personal behavior related--they are not commenting further speaks volumes...it is serious.   

• Like 1

OK, now another question arises...who is back up?  Sandstrom and Petersen have similar numbers...and neither is setting the world on fire.  From a cap standpoint, bringing Cal up costs money.  On the other hand, do you give him a cup of coffee for visibility?  I am unsure how Cart's leave impacts the cap.  

Yes, it looks like I will be the "enemy" poster tonight.....

Bolts were rolling along pretty well until the Wings snapped their five gamer...and in a low scoring game too.
TB has mostly had their way with Philly over the last few seasons, but these Flyers are obviously not the same ones the Bolts were used to pushing around.

If TB doesn't show up, the results will be worse than the game they let Detroit take from them.
If Philly doesn't show, this could get real ugly on the scoreboard....

Good luck Flyer fans...but, just for tonight, from me...not TOO much. ;) 

• Haha 1

Defensively, the Bolts with some crap passing (it has been a problem all year!), and if they keep doing that, they will allow the Flyers right back into this game as Philly, at the very least, is showing lots of speed out there.

Fast enough to possibly take advantage of careless passing by TB.

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Defensively, the Bolts with some crap passing (it has been a problem all year!), and if they keep doing that, they will allow the Flyers right back into this game as Philly, at the very least, is showing lots of speed out there.

Fast enough to possibly take advantage of careless passing by TB.

tampa is outplaying us, we just dont have enough talent right now, i mean it would be great to make the playoffs but we are far away from a cup team, tippett is missed big time.

1 minute ago, tucson83 said:

tampa is outplaying us, we just dont have enough talent right now, i mean it would be great to make the playoffs but we are far away from a cup team, tippett is missed big time.

While I agree the Flyers have a long way to go before Cup contention, I think they DO make the playoffs this year.
With Pittsburgh, Washington, and the NY Islanders crapping the bed in the Metro, and Columbus playing for a lottery pick, I think Philly can at the very least hang with the top three close enough to possibly secure a spot.

The real competition will come from the Atlantic and the teams fighting for WC spots...Detroit and possibly these same Bolts if they can't quite catch the Leafs or Panthers.

Even if Philly gets bounced in the first round playing a team like Carolina, the Rangers, or Boston, the experience for their young guys will be great, and you know Tortorella will use that as a springboard for bigger and better expectations next season, where, if healthy, Philly should be able to hang with any playoff team during the season.

On top of that, since many didn't view Philly as a playoff team this year, if they can somehow get in there, it will be gravy on a much improved team, no matter how you slice it.

• Good Post 2

4 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

While I agree the Flyers have a long way to go before Cup contention

It will help them take a big step forward when Baby Kuch comes over and joins the ranks maybe in 2 years...

...till then they should keep building and developing... :smileyandcomputer:

Edited by OccamsRazor
fix boo boo

Not sure if it has really sunk into the heads of Lightning players, but these simply are NOT the same ol, tired, retread Flyers they were used to seeing in seasons past.

Those guys in orange look hungrier, if inexperienced, definitely faster, if sometimes haphazard in their play, and don't have that "just collecting a paycheck" look to them and look to play right down to the last second in every period.

Lots of new Bolts faces in there, so the vets on the blue guys need to help reign things in.

Your orange guys aren't gonna roll over for anyone.

Edited by TropicalFruitGirl26
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

You Flyer fans really should be happy with Jamie Drysdale.

Who knows what Gauthier was gonna be, if anything, in the NHL, but Drysdale really seems to bring an extra wrinkle to Philly's attack from that blueline.

Notice the past few years of Cup winners, they always had a guy or two driving offense from the blue line, so if the forwards get shut down, someone on defense helps jump start things again.
So far, at least to me, it looks like Drysdale is the type of blueliner that can do just that.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

It will help them take a big step forward when Baby Kuch comes over and joins the ranks maybe in 2 years...

...till then they should keep building and developing... :smileyandcomputer:

Exhibit A:

Spider-man GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

🤔

Edited by OccamsRazor
fix boo boo