Game 49: Philadelphia Flyers at Detroit Red Wings; 1/25/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Greetings:

Detroit is favored (-135) in a matchup between two teams with fairly similar records:

https://statsalt.com/games/nhl/1-25-2024/philadelphia-flyers-vs-detroit-red-wings-prediction-1052/

The teams have split the first two games (a goalie showcase and a shoot-em-up).  This boils down to one defensively challenged team versus an offensively challenged one:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/det-vs-phi/2024/01/25/2023020747

This series is historically home-based:

https://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/opponent.cgi?Detroit_Red_Wings

Do we break the losing streak?

• Thanks 1

I hate to see the wheels fall off but as @Digityman said a losing streak may not be such a bad thing. Not because I worry that management is dreaming of postseason glory but because the organization as a whole may benefit. Stress reveals weakness and a losing streak will stress all concerned.

The Flyers don’t need losses to convince themselves they need upgrades, everyone knows what the team needs; the hard part is acquiring it without destroying the culture they’ve already built. That’s where a losing streak could help by testing the strength and permanence of the culture change. If they come through it still playing the same way, regardless how many games they drop, all they’ll have lost is points. 

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1

6 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Flyers look like they’re asleep.

Most of the team looks like they had Nyquil for a pre-game meal, but Deslauriers is playing with some fire, anyway.

This is hard to watch. This squad misses Tippett. And I agree with Boosh that Detroit is stopping us mid-ice.

Deslauriers is trying to juice it up, but does it matter?

It looks like the team, might have been at some of the local Detroit bars before the game. They look awfully sluggish offensively..though you'd figure with 19 shots through two periods, one would go in. Even though i thought our goaltending has been good this year, tonight is not one of those nights. Giving up three goals on 12 shots, can't happen.

Thoughts:

1. They are a different team without Tippett.

2. The CH gig is probably a quiet distraction that will damp down post-arraignment.

3. The team's offense won't work if they aren't working off a transition.  They have looked passive the last two games.

4. They aren't showing resilience.  

The Boston game could get ugly if they aren't competitive from the get-go.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Howie58 said:

They are a different team without Tippett.

Seems so and w/out him the team loses more than just goals. He brings a heavy presence to the Flyers that teams have to try and contain. 

The team's offense won't work if they aren't working off a transition. 

The transition game has been their bread and butter this season. All along Tortorella’s been saying it won’t be enough especially 2nd half when the PO race heats up. The Flyers have forechecked well at times this season but nothing lately…here again they miss Tippett.

4. They aren't showing resilience.  

Or maybe the jury is still out? Dropped 4 in a row but the losses fall into 2 categories. You know … talent gap vs bad hockey. Maybe the TB game overlaps, combination of undisciplined hockey and getting smoked by Kucherov, Point etc.

Shut out by the Wings with a former Flyers’ backup in net must’ve been frustrating. I haven’t a clue how they’ll deal with Boston on Saturday, last game before the break.

How they skate, manage the puck may not bring in the verdict on the resilience question but it will inform the answer. As long they don’t come out flat...

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 2

They say bear markets end with high volume, huge sell-offs. It may take a big loss to wake the team up. They seem detached, which is strange for this group. Laughton taking two dumb penalties was weird. That's a red flag that makes me think the CH saga is a distraction. I was thinking about it last night. A guy you've been working and socializing with for years is likely to face serious criminal charges. Some may be looking at themselves in the mirror and asking tough questions. I'm glad they will have a week to reset.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 1