A Different Team When they Get Solid Goaltending

Guest terp

All teams are of course but I was struck by how the Flyers kicked but last night with Lilja, Gustafsson and Manning playing significant minutes. I thought I was dreaming.

I'm heretofore a Bryzgalov hater but I have to admit: he's been the team's best player by a lot the last 4-5 games. His play has been exceptional.

Also, Matt Carle seems to have gotten the memo about sticking up for the team's hot goaltender. Has anyone seen him drop the gloves before?

@ terp

I thought that was pretty interesting too, the last time i saw carle drop the mitts was against a Rangers goon (maybe Avery ?) and it was, sort of, to answer for a questionable hit as well as for carcillo laying out gaborik. kind of a; you hit our guy that doesn't fight, so we're going to get your guy that doesn't fight.

anyway i liked seeing 25 stepping up like that. makes the team look unified, unlike the way the sabres just watch miller get steamrolled. i also liked how genuinely happy briere was for bryz after the shutout was secured.

Edited by mojo1917

@Irishjim-

Carle really gets a bad rap by Flyers fans. There was a really good article on here that cited both other teams GM's and head scouts regarding how Carle is viewed around the league. He is significantly underappreciated here.

While I don't want to pony up the 5+ million for his new salary, he certainly is entitled to a raise and one at least equitable to what Coburn received.

@Vanflyer

In no way meant to imply that I think Carle is a bum. He's a superb defenseman and the Flyers would miss him more than any defenseman other than Timonen. He just doesn't fight very often. He doesn't even get mad very often.

@Vanflyer carle really excelled when paired with pronger (Who Wouldn't) and while he is a good puck moving D-man. i can't help but notice his flaws more than his positives. he's soft most of the time, makes ill-advised passes across the zone and have you noticed the puck bounces over his stick way too often.

he will get paid and the flyers should let him get his 5 mil elsewhere. i know supply and demand set the market price id rather see the flyers re-up grossmanN and kubina.

in addition the flyers really need to steer clear of suter, i think he's a product of playing with weber. and he's not worth the 6-7 he will want and defiantly not worth the 4 1st round picks as well

i can't help but notice his flaws more than his positives...

Hater

...he's soft most of the time...

Bobby Orr was "soft most of the time"

makes ill-advised passes across the zone.

No more than anyone else. For every ill-advised pass he makes, he makes 50 terrific ones. Coburn can barley pass a puck.

...the puck bounces over his stick way too often.

Stretching it.....

@Irishjim-

I see his flaws as well, but I also see the good things he does as well too. I am not willing to give him 5m plus, but I would be willing to give him 4.5m. No long term deal. Give him a 3 year deal that will take him to age 30 and let him get another pay day then.

Here is one article: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/140679793.html?viewAllLatest=y&

I wish I could find the other one. It gets deep into his CORSI numbers and it is pretty surprising (depending on how much stock you put into those numbers).

@Irishjim

you're the goods buddy, and i like ya, so i'd like for you to define soft for me. because i really don't see a lot of what you have posted.

he's not soft on the puck, he's pretty strong actually to go with his skating abilty , he can ride an opposing forward to the boards as well as anyone ...

if you're going to come back with well he doesn't fight and doesn't cross check guys out of the crease after the whistle, okay his game doesn't have that physical edge, but he's not a sissy he blocks shots, takes hits to make plays in both zones... i just don't get it.

Give him a 3 year deal that will take him to age 30 and let him get another pay day then.

Given his ability, age and durability, I doubt he'll resign in Philly for less than a 5 year deal. There will be at least a couple teams out there who would offer longer terms. That would make him 32 when his next deal expires and allow him to negotiate another 5 year deal. If I were his agent, I would insist on at least 5 years.

@terp-

Meet in the middle: four years. In all seriousness, with Kimmo off the books next year, a longer contract bodes better for the Flyers. What I don't get is how are teams suppose to negotiate UFA / RFA's this summer when the new CBA will not be in effect until next season?

@terp-

What I don't get is how are teams suppose to negotiate UFA / RFA's this summer when the new CBA will not be in effect until next season?

It creates a lot of uncertainty for everyone but especially for the Flyers, who are always right up against the cap and have to figure out how to resign Carle, Grossman and perhaps Jagr while having Pronger's cap hit count during the offseason. I'm pretty sure Kubina is gone unless it becomes clear that they are going to lose Carle. I suspect no one, including the Flyers, is going to sign Jagr until and unless the CBA gets done.

non - sequitur .... but, did anyone see the game before last nights... Giroux slashed carle while they were at the face-off circle!? weird.

<iframe src="http://www.twitvid.com/embed.php?guid=P6ALZ&autoplay=0" title="Twitvid video player " class="twitvid-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0"></iframe>

@Irishjim

you're the goods buddy, and i like ya, so i'd like for you to define soft for me. because i really don't see a lot of what you have posted.

he's not soft on the puck, he's pretty strong actually to go with his skating abilty , he can ride an opposing forward to the boards as well as anyone ...

if you're going to come back with well he doesn't fight and doesn't cross check guys out of the crease after the whistle, okay his game doesn't have that physical edge, but he's not a sissy he blocks shots, takes hits to make plays in both zones... i just don't get it.

mojo it has nothing to do with fighting. next game chat if your there i'll point it out. BTW i don't hate carle, i hate shelly

non - sequitur .... but, did anyone see the game before last nights... Giroux slashed carle while they were at the face-off circle!? weird.

<iframe src="http://www.twitvid.com/embed.php?guid=P6ALZ&autoplay=0" title="Twitvid video player " class="twitvid-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0"></iframe>

wow, bizarre. I can only hope that in real-time it was one of those "good job" knocks - but it doesn't look like one. Carle doesn't react to it either, which is strange, doesn't even look at G. I wish we could see Giroux's face to give us a clue. But that was very strange.

wow, bizarre. I can only hope that in real-time it was one of those "good job" knocks - but it doesn't look like one. Carle doesn't react to it either, which is strange, doesn't even look at G. I wish we could see Giroux's face to give us a clue. But that was very strange.

Just a very weird situation. You can see filpula is like looking over with an 'I don't get it' kinda stare toward them. Looked like no joke. I'm surprised the panaches of Philly media haven't picked up on this one. Their too focused on bryz... Good and bad.

I'm surprised the panaches of Philly media haven't picked up on this one.

unfortunately it's no surprise - you're right, they're so focused on Everything Bryzgalov that something interesting like this doesn't even get a mention. Nice job to whoever picked this up; I'd love to know what it was all about. We've all done stuff like that to teammates kidding around, like "you really fkd that up" type of thing. But this doesn't look playful at all - it looks more like "get your toes off the line dummy" but...why?

Thanks to the crack reporting on hockey in Philly I guess we'll never find out.

G acting like a team leader in some respect is my guess.

I doubt he's angry at Carle.

When asked who his best friends on the team were, G said Carle & JvR. (Maybe another reason neither one of them were traded.)