Game 66: San Jose Sharks at Philadelphia Flyers; 3/12/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Good team D the final minutes everybody chipping in blocking shots, taking hits to make the pass…

Flyers have a gauntlet of tough teams coming up this month. Boston twice Toronto twice, FL, Carolina and the Rangers. 

Look at all the pretty colors! 😂

Just guessing everything to the right of the zero line is good?  That makes it look like the game was a blowout when it really wasn’t.  Just like the +/- stats, this graph may be statistically inaccurate.

• Like 1

Another comment: I think it was JJ who said this was only the second Flyer win at home against San Jose since 2000. Some of the Quant jocks need to assess our troubles against this team. I get troubles out West at the beginning or end of a West Coast swing. But we're even worse at home!

On that score,  we won, but it was ugly. Too many penalties. Our lack of depth is showing. But I'm glad Frost and Tippett have some game- changing skill. We need more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Another comment: I think it was JJ who said this was only the second Flyer win at home against San Jose since 2000. Some of the Quant jocks need to assess our troubles against this team. I get troubles out West at the beginning or end of a West Coast swing. But we're even worse at home!

There is a stretch there where the Sharks were one of the better teams in the league.

And a stretch where the Flyers would do the typical "take the one game against a West Coast team lightly" thing.

And even now with the Sharks being one of the worst teams in the league and effectively playing for nothing, it's a tough one goal win for a team playing for a playoff spot.

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

6 hours ago, Howie58 said:

On that score,  we won, but it was ugly. Too many penalties.

That's the story right there - why it was so close. 6 penalties in the first 30 minutes...Sharks' PP is their one bright spot and scored twice.

Flyers took no penalties in the 3rd. Tippett's GWer was a beautiful set play. Tippett said he and TK made eye contact while Tippett was high in the zone and took it from there. Flyers had 6 on 5 on the delayed Sharks' call so maybe a seam like that isn't there - or closes quickly - 5 on 5. But those 2 have some magic together. Couturier centering them is a good line but eventually...the Flyers need a top-line center.

Greetings:

The old farts will remember that we signed Mike Rathje and Derian Hatcher post-strike:

https://www.hockeyforum.com/threads/flyers-sign-hatcher-rathje-and-therien.32782/page-2

We found out that meant "Twin Pylons" in our D.  Hatcher gave us some use.  As for Rathje, who was with San Jose:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/philadelphia-flyers-defenceman-mike-rathje-sidelined-by-herniated-disc

He went on LTIR and contributed next to nothing.  I guess San Jose realized what the New NHL would bring.  Robert Earle Clarke and other GMs didn't.  Let's hope Briere breaks the mold.

• Like 2

@Howie58 

good lord what made you think of those 2?

What I remember most about Hatcher when the Flyers signed him was one word: Now? Nothing against the guy he had a fine career with Dallas but like a lot of Holmgren’s acquisitions long past his prime when the Flyers got him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

What I remember most about Hatcher when the Flyers signed him was one word: Now?

Hatcher was 32 when he signed with the Flyers.

Mike Rathje was... Checks notes... 30.

Crazy to sign a guy long term at that age.

Absolutely crazy.

They were a masterstroke from the GM to shore up the defense on definitely a playoff team.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

4 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

The old farts will remember that we signed Mike Rathje and Derian Hatcher post-strike:

https://www.hockeyforum.com/threads/flyers-sign-hatcher-rathje-and-therien.32782/page-2

We found out that meant "Twin Pylons" in our D.  Hatcher gave us some use.  As for Rathje, who was with San Jose:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/philadelphia-flyers-defenceman-mike-rathje-sidelined-by-herniated-disc

He went on LTIR and contributed next to nothing.  I guess San Jose realized what the New NHL would bring.  Robert Earle Clarke and other GMs didn't.  Let's hope Briere breaks the mold.

What a pair they were! On the old Philly.com board we used to “affectionately” refer to them as “Hathje” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

4 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

What a pair they were! On the old Philly.com board we used to “affectionately” refer to them as “Hathje” 

image.gif

Edited by radoran
  • Thanks 1

@Howie58 

What I remember most about Hatcher when the Flyers signed him was one word: Now? Nothing against the guy he had a fine career with Dallas but like a lot of Holmgren’s acquisitions long past his prime when the Flyers got him. 

What I remember most besides him being old and slow was him taking out Mr. Ed Crosby’s teeth. 

• Haha 1
  • Good Post 1

@Howie58 

Grateful, I think it was playing SJ.  That made me think about the Rathje...yeah, they knew he was not cut out for the "New NHL."  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

@Howie58 

Rathje wasn't that bad his first season as a "stay at home" type I think he finished with 20 something points and +22 he'll I woul kill for Sanheim to finish + 22 once in his career.

But with back issues it just caught with him.

But while so flawed back then the way they constructed a roster.