Game 66: San Jose Sharks at Philadelphia Flyers; 3/12/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Greetings:

The Flyers are heavily favored (-238), but read some of the fine print:  San Jose has taken eight of the last 10, and they're 12-2 out of the last 14 at Wells Fargo--

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/san-jose-philadelphia-odds-march-12-2024-2020004

Statistically, neither team is great at faceoffs, but our defense is better:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/phi-vs-sjs/2024/03/12/2023021035

But our defense may be impaired via injury.  We should be angry after the debacle in TB.  But this game may be closer than the bookies suggest.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

they're 12-2 out of the last 14 at Wells Fargo--

Holy cow really? That's surprising. Well they should have at least 6 D-men ready to go ...

I assume Ersson will start - he needs a bounce-back game as bad as they all do.

Meanwhile the Isles keep winning...only 2 points behind the Flyers now. I don't much care whether the Flyers get a 3 seed or a WC spot but I do hope they make it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Holy cow really? That's surprising.

It's a little deceptive because they didn't play home and away each year for many years so the Sharks didn't play as often in Philadelphia.

Without looking, also possible pandemic cancellations.

Flyers need to TCOB here if they want to make the playoffs. Many teams nipping at their heels.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, radoran said:

It's a little deceptive because they didn't play home and away each year for many years so the Sharks didn't play as often in Philadelphia.

Without looking, also possible pandemic cancellations.

Flyers need to TCOB here if they want to make the playoffs. Many teams nipping at their heels.

Rad:

Here is another piece on the history between the teams.  Our last home win against them was February 2020.  Our overall record has to be one of the worst against any team; we are marginally better in San Jose than Philly:

https://flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/opponent.cgi?San_Jose_Sharks

The Flyers ought to improve their record tonight against a team with a GF/GA differential of -111. The next worst team is the Hawks with a -95.

speaking of GF/GA the Flyers slipped below EVEN after the 7-0 drubbing by TB. All year they've been a +5 or better - now they're a -2.

• Like 1

I watched Torts' post-practice presser. He mentioned the banged-up D, including Risto. He said to the reporters that "you guys hate him," or close too it, but fail to appreciate what he brings to the table. Interesting. 

1 minute ago, Howie58 said:

He said to the reporters that "you guys hate him,"

I think he was talking to me.

He has been good this year, good enough anyway in a 12-15 mins role. And the Flyers sure could use him now…

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I think he was talking to me.

He has been good this year, good enough anyway in a 12-15 mins role. And the Flyers sure could use him now…

The question isn't whether Ristolainen "can play defense" - it's whether he's worth what they paid to acquire him and what they are currently paying him.

The first answer is "sort of" and the next two are "no".

• Like 1
  • Good Post 2

8 minutes ago, radoran said:

The question isn't whether Ristolainen "can play defense" - it's whether he's worth what they paid to acquire him and what they are currently paying him.

The first answer is "sort of" and the next two are "no".

:joe:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

btw that’s not a real quote is it? I don’t know TLY from Adam is it like The Onion or something? 

Yes it is real.

:beer:

Edited by OccamsRazor