Game 72: Florida Panthers at Philadelphia Flyers; 3/24/2024 @ 6 PM, NBCSP

Greetings:

Florida is favored (-160), with both teams on the second of back-to-backs:

https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/florida-philadelphia-odds-march-24-2024-2020404

We've taken the first two games of the season, 2-1.  Statistically, they are nearly as good as we are on the PK, and better on just about every stat:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/fla-vs-phi/2024/03/24/2023021129

If we play tight, "Flyers Hockey," this squad can compete with any team.   Bobo is slated to start against the Rangers on 3/23.   Someone named Anthony Stolarz (ha!) is his backup.  Take a gander at these stats, at $1.1 million salary:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/s/stolaan01.html

We do a wonderful job drafting goalies for other teams! 

Edited by Howie58
  • Thanks 1

heard a bit of the studio guys postgame yesterday and both Hartnell and the other guy said "you have to" start Ersson today. I don't doubt he gives the Flyers a better chance than Sandstrom but I'd be surprised if it's Ersson again.

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

heard a bit of the studio guys postgame yesterday and both Hartnell and the other guy said "you have to" start Ersson today. I don't doubt he gives the Flyers a better chance than Sandstrom but I'd be surprised if it's Ersson again.

It's strange seeing two starting goalies where one has half the GAA as the other! Can't recall that. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Damn Sandström you got to make that save...

I hope I am wrong and I am still watching the game but in my mind this is a loss because of Sandstrom in net. He would have trouble stopping a freakin beach ball………🤬

• Like 3

What a surprise...Sandstrom "would like to have that one back" ... hopefully that's the only softie today but I wouldn't bet on it.

Great to see Foerster go right at Tkachuk for that cheapshot trip after the horn.

edit: Oh jeez they can't be serious - a Cats' PP after Tkachuk started the whole thing? That's is some shabby officiating. And Tarasenko scores .... love the Power Kill but sometimes ... burned them on that one...

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Call up Gahagen! We have super-abundant evidence that Sandstrom is not an NHL goalie. I'd rather see a Zepper type than him. How must teammates feel when a guy with a 4.0+ GAA starts? Get him out of the picture. Thank the Lord his contract expires this year!

Edited by Howie58

26 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

Boy it would have just been horrible if they kept Stolarz….or Bobrovsky….

Stollie is a free agent at seasons end and i suggested bringing him back on a cheap deal.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Stollie is a free agent at seasons end and i suggested bringing him back on a cheap deal.

Seeing how Hart is no longer in the picture, dumping peterson and Sandstrom is a no brainer. Stolarz and Errson would be a pretty decent tandem going forward. 

• Like 3

Just now, flyerrod said:

….:.and This just in, Sandstrom still sucks……

I just can't understand why they didn't grab Raanta off waivers when they had the chance!

• Good Post 1

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I just can't understand why they didn't grab Raanta off waivers when they had the chance!

A shooter tutor would look better in net than Sandstrom 😵‍💫

• Haha 1

Verhaeghe scores the backbreaker- and it's another one "Sandstrom would like to have back" ... 2 soft goals out of 3 ...

Meanwhile the Flyers keep missing the net every other shot... if they hit the cage Stolarz comes up with a big save.  Frustrating game...

edit: PP goal 6-on-4 ... nice to get one but it feels like Sandstrom will give up another softie before it's over. OMG Poehling wide open net ... unbelievable . That was the story of the Flyers' night in one play right there.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

6 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Verhaeghe scores the backbreaker- and it's another one "Sandstrom would like to have back" ... 2 soft goals out of 3 ...

Meanwhile the Flyers keep missing the net every other shot... if they hit the cage Stolarz comes up with a big save.  Frustrating game...

And Sandstrom with his most effective play of the game…..leaving the ice…..🙄

• Uggh... 1

8 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

And Sandstrom with his most effective play of the game…..leaving the ice…..🙄

Haha so true! Soon as he's off the ice they score...

sure why not Reinhardt gets his 50th...

I hate to blame the goalie when you only score 1 goal but if Sandstrom makes that first save...feels like this was a winnable game with better goaltending.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

15 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Haha so true! Soon as he's off the ice they score...

I am developing an Andrew MacDonald level of hate for Sandstrom. Cechmanek’s corpse would be more effective as goal tender……I am 57 years old and crippled and could possibly carry an .829 save percentage. 

Edited by flyerrod
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

I am developing an Andrew MacDonald level of hate for Sandstrom. Cechmanek’s corpse would be more effective in goal tender……

Another gem from Ron Hextall....that whole year for him except TK.

They traded their top 10 pick pick this past offseason and their best goalie from that draft got stolen from them for Russia.

• Like 1

Not adding a second viable goalie will be the nail in the coffin for this club. I don't think they'll play Ersson 10 games in a row and Washington is red hot. Once again, not the end of the world if the team doesn't make the playoffs, but this will be something that will have to be addressed in the offseason.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

12 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Not adding a second viable goalie will be the nail in the coffin for this club. I don't think they'll play Ersson 10 games in a row and Washington is red hot. Once again, not the end of the world if the team doesn't make the playoffs, but this will be something that will have to be addressed in the offseason.

What about Petersen?

:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

• Haha 1